C Cole Spicer - USNTDP, USHL (2022, 117th, BOS)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Swiss army knife type of energy player. Can play center or winger. Skates well, works really hard, and has some offense. He PK's really well. A little under-sized. On this team, he's a lower lines player, but on a less talented team and maybe eventually in pro hockey, he can likely play up and down the lineup filling in where needed. Probably a mid/late round pick in 2022. Reminds me of Trevor Janicke.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/623833/cole-spicer

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I think this is the first I've seen a prospect get demoted because of grades.

I'm sure it's happened before, but maybe not to drafted players ?
there have a bunch of players who've left pre-emptively "to focus on hockey" which is usually translation for about to fail out or close to it. When Charlie Coyle left BU for the Q, there were a lot of rumors that he was going to miss time due to grades so he left. The other thing that happens more than you think is kids committing to a school and then not getting through admissions or NCAA clearinghouse. Happened with Vatrano at BC

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
there have a bunch of players who've left pre-emptively "to focus on hockey" which is usually translation for about to fail out or close to it. When Charlie Coyle left BU for the Q, there were a lot of rumors that he was going to miss time due to grades so he left. The other thing that happens more than you think is kids committing to a school and then not getting through admissions or NCAA clearinghouse. Happened with Vatrano at BC
That's super interesting. I don't think I heard that, but don't really pay attention to it at the time. I just assume players are struggling in the NCAA and want to go somewhere else, like the CHL where you get more ice time/preference than NCAA who may prefer to play older player so they can win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad