C Carey Terrance - Erie Otters, OHL (2023, 59th, ANA)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two-way center that plays with skill and grit. Looks like a very complete player. Also already has good size. His skating would probably be the main question. It looks about average. I don't see it as a problem, but thats probably what will get questioned. He doesn't look that skilled because he's not dangling players, but he shows some very skilled plays when it's needed. Looks like a first or second round pick in 2023 in my estimation. EP doesn't list a team for next season. He was a first round pick by Erie, so I suspect he'll probably play in the OHL this season, but thats only speculation.

Carey Terrance at eliteprospects.com

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
His skating would probably be the main question. It looks about average. I don't see it as a problem, but thats probably what will get questioned.

This surprises me. In my prep for the recent OHL Draft, I was told by scouts that Terrance was the best skater (or among the best) in the age group that was available. It is perceived to be his greatest strength. His video log report on the OHL main site leading up to the draft said the exact same thing. And...in my limited views of him as a player (I didn't focus on the U16 crop as much as I normally would last year due to the pandemic), I would have agreed that his skating was a major asset.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This surprises me. In my prep for the recent OHL Draft, I was told by scouts that Terrance was the best skater (or among the best) in the age group that was available. It is perceived to be his greatest strength. His video log report on the OHL main site leading up to the draft said the exact same thing. And...in my limited views of him as a player (I didn't focus on the U16 crop as much as I normally would last year due to the pandemic), I would have agreed that his skating was a major asset.

Even better then. Limited viewings for me. I thought it was average. If it’s a strength, he’s probably a better player than I suspect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He wasn't bad at the Hlinka, but I was a little disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much. His skill is pretty limited. It's by no means bad, but he's not a first round range player, in my opinion. I thought last summer when I watched him he could have that potential, but the skill isn't quite good enough. I still say this guy is at least a mid rounder, potentially as high as round 2, because he's a center with size, grit, good enough skating, and some offense, but probably a guy for the bottom six if he makes the NHL as opposed to the top six.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He wasn't bad at the Hlinka, but I was a little disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much. His skill is pretty limited. It's by no means bad, but he's not a first round range player, in my opinion. I thought last summer when I watched him he could have that potential, but the skill isn't quite good enough. I still say this guy is at least a mid rounder, potentially as high as round 2, because he's a center with size, grit, good enough skating, and some offense, but probably a guy for the bottom six if he makes the NHL as opposed to the top six.
His skill/skating kinda reminded me of chytil in his draft year. Maybe not quite the same but the stride length, edgework, good but not elite hands and is very "rangey" if that makes sense lol

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The more I watch/hear/read, the more I think Terrance is that 2nd/3rd/4th rounder who finds success.

Given his skating and solid defensive tendencies, I think he could well end up like Warren Foegele. But I still see the possibility that he is the 2023 draft's version of Cirelli. There is just a sense that he has the right combination of tangible skills (mostly skating) and intangibles (leadership, hard-working).

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Lone CHL player to skate for the USA U18 team.

Should there be more interest in him?
Projected 2nd rounder. He is a great skater and has great pucks skills. He lead a poor team in scoring this year with 30 goals and 17 assists in 67 games. The main issue people see in him is his vision can be poor and he will turnover the puck by forcing too many passes. He does have a lot of compete in him and it was good to see he could play with a good compete against some of the best u18's.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Always happy to see a Mohawk from Akwesasne succeeding! Rooting for him. Lots of family connections to that community

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad