C Brad Lambert - HIFK U20, Jr. A SM-liiga (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Just came across this interesting player. Born in Finland. Seems to have Canadian/Finnish citizenship.

His name is obviously not the typical Finnish name which drew me to him. What's the story with this kid? Looks like his father played junior in Canada and moved to the UK for a pro career.

His cousin Jimmy Lambert currently plays at U. of Michigan.

Solid stats last year in the U16 SM-liiga with 47 points in 19 games.

upload_2018-10-8_14-2-41.png

Brad Lambert at eliteprospects.com

Can anyone shed some light on this kid?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He is a very interesting player. I think he was injured but has just returned to play. He played in the Pohjola camp (camp for players U15) who make the U16 national team the following year, even though it is possible make the U16 national team without playing in the Pohjola camp.

He was named on the U16 camp for the games against Germany 19-21.10 even though he was injured for so long so I think he is promising and I am intrigued to see how good he can be some day.

The games will be live on Leijonat.fi so we can see more of him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
His father is the skill trainer for Pelicans Liiga team. He teaches passing, stickhandling and skating technique. Apparently, his dad has been undertaking a bit of a revolution for Pelicans' training and has been modernizing it a lot so he seems to know what he's doing. I assume that Brad Lambert would be good at these things, though I've never seen him play.

He plays C and I believe he represents Finland internationally(Otherwise he shouldn't be in Pohjola Camp). The production, as you stated, is very impressive. A lot better than the production of any other Finnish C in recent years for the equivalent age, including Aatu Räty and co.

What I'm most concerned about is the fact that he's missed tons of games both this and the last season.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He is a very interesting player. I think he was injured but has just returned to play. He played in the Pohjola camp (camp for players U15) who make the U16 national team the following year, even though it is possible make the U16 national team without playing in the Pohjola camp.

He was named on the U16 camp for the games against Germany 19-21.10 even though he was injured for so long so I think he is promising and I am intrigued to see how good he can be some day.

The games will be live on Leijonat.fi so we can see more of him.

His father is the skill trainer for Pelicans Liiga team. He teaches passing, stickhandling and skating technique. Apparently, his dad has been undertaking a bit of a revolution for Pelicans' training and has been modernizing it a lot so he seems to know what he's doing. I assume that Brad Lambert would be good at these things, though I've never seen him play.

He plays C and I believe he represents Finland internationally(Otherwise he shouldn't be in Pohjola Camp). The production, as you stated, is very impressive. A lot better than the production of any other Finnish C in recent years for the equivalent age, including Aatu Räty and co.

What I'm most concerned about is the fact that he's missed tons of games both this and the last season.

Cool, thanks.

Is he projected to be a high end pick?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Really need to see him play. Apparently, we'll be able to do so in a few weeks. With that production and being a C, he could even have the potential to be a top 3 pick if the attributes and progression is there, but it could also be that his development is ruined due to the apparent injury that caused him to miss dozens of games. Or it could be that he has some attributes that don't translate so well against older competition.

This is at least some footage, I guess? #28 on Pelicans. 2 assists.

1:59 is pretty good.
2:23 an assist.
3:47 the other assist.

Well, after watching that ~2min of footage of him playing, I have to say that he was a lot better than I was expecting. That was almost a year ago, too. And so I'll say that yes, he should be considered a top prospect.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
His dad Ross is from Kindersley which isn't far from me, a farming family from the area.
Was quite the player for the Swift Current Broncos and I believe he had a short stint with the Saskatoon blades before he eventually went to the NCAA, Princeton of all systems. Rare for any prairie raised farm kid.
Couldn't make it after a two year degree and went to the UK where he had a lot of success. He eventually got into skills coaching and landed in Finland with the Pelicans.

There is a period of time between Ross leaving hockey in the UK and Brad being born in 2003. So not sure how he ended up in Finland, but I believe Brad has a Finnish mother. Brad was eventually sent back to Saskatchewan and lived with family while he learned hockey in his earlier years and then eventually returned to Finland to join his father in Pelicans system.

Reactions: Mercedes Benn

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
His dad Ross is from Kindersley which isn't far from me, a farming family from the area.
Was quite the player for the Swift Current Broncos and I believe he had a short stint with the Saskatoon blades before he eventually went to the NCAA, Princeton of all systems. Rare for any prairie raised farm kid.
Couldn't make it after a two year degree and went to the UK where he had a lot of success. He eventually got into skills coaching and landed in Finland with the Pelicans.

There is a period of time between Ross leaving hockey in the UK and Brad being born in 2003. So not sure how he ended up in Finland, but I believe Brad has a Finnish mother. Brad was eventually sent back to Saskatchewan and lived with family while he learned hockey in his earlier years and then eventually returned to Finland to join his father in Pelicans system.

Grew up with his cousin Jimmy back in Saskatoon. Great kid. Hope this kid turns into something special and I'll always see him as a Sasky kid at heart

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Grew up with his cousin Jimmy back in Saskatoon. Great kid. Hope this kid turns into something special and I'll always see him as a Sasky kid at heart

Good family. He played here for awhile so he has Sask roots for sure. Playing in Finnish systems will give him opportunities he just doesn't have here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mercedes Benn

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Played today his first game with Pelicans A-juniors, he got one assist. One of the youngest (if not the youngest) players to ever make the A-sm.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafChief

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Any relation to Lane Lambert? Long time Trotz assistant and current islanders assistant coach. Also former player.

Motoro

Oct 21, 2018
I wonder what his Canadian relatives think if Brad decides to represent Finland in international games. :sarcasm:

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I wonder what his Canadian relatives think if Brad decides to represent Finland in international games. :sarcasm:
He has played some games for Finland U16 national team already. That doesn't mean anything but the fact he attended to pohjola camp (where the best U15 players from each age group gathers and some of them make the U16 national team) should mean something. But we don't know for sure until he plays some IIHF international games. He was our best player in those U16 games where he played.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Played today his first game with Pelicans A-juniors, he got one assist. One of the youngest (if not the youngest) players to ever make the A-sm.
Maybe even more impressive than the single primary assist was that he got 4 shot attempts(3 saved by goalie, 1 blocked by opposing defenceman) from dangerous scoring areas in just 12 minutes of ice time.

Reactions: FinPanda
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->