C Brad Lambert - HIFK U20, Jr. A SM-liiga (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Hard to say. He'll get some opportunities he likely won't get here playing in Finland. But he also has family in Saskatoon.

Yeah true.

We will probably see his decision in 2020 u18 wjc at the earliest.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He will play again for Finnish U16 team in 14-16 December against Sweden. The games will be shown live on Leijonat live. I'll add a link to there when the games are about to start.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hard to say. He'll get some opportunities he likely won't get here playing in Finland. But he also has family in Saskatoon.

Which extra opportunities will he get here? Finland's player development system is at worst as good as Canada's.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Which extra opportunities will he get here? Finland's player development system is at worst as good as Canada's.

He has much stiffer competition to make any international squads. I mean if he's good enough it won't be an issue here but he'll get a much better shot at playing high up in Finland if he is good then he will in Canada. The development system is good but the sheer number of players that compete for spots is not on the same level. Team Canada could probably ice two squads at most events and spread the talent out and still compete well enough the same can't really be said of any other country. Though I think the US is the closest to pushing for that.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He has much stiffer competition to make any international squads. I mean if he's good enough it won't be an issue here but he'll get a much better shot at playing high up in Finland if he is good then he will in Canada. The development system is good but the sheer number of players that compete for spots is not on the same level. Team Canada could probably ice two squads at most events and spread the talent out and still compete well enough the same can't really be said of any other country. Though I think the US is the closest to pushing for that.

I misread what you wrote, thought you were saying he will have more opportunities in Canada. Still though, Finland is missing more players to the NHL than Canada this year. Also Canada's depth is due to the amount of registered players, when if you take this into account, Sweden and Finland produce more players than Canada per capita.

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
I misread what you wrote, thought you were saying he will have more opportunities in Canada. Still though, Finland is missing more players to the NHL than Canada this year. Also Canada's depth is due to the amount of registered players, when if you take this into account, Sweden and Finland produce more players than Canada per capita.
Good for Finland, want a medal for that? (because you guys aren't getting one this WJC ;) )

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
How many 14 year olds have even played in Jr A SM Liiga before? I can already tell this is going to be an intriguing prospect to keep tabs on

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Finland has gotten better over the last few years but they aren't on Canada's level yet. Per Capita Ontario alone out produces both Finland and Sweden in terms of NHL talent. Finland is only missing more players to the NHL because they have far less than Canada does and Canada has more players at pretty much every level of NA professional hockey. More Canadians have played in the KHL, SHL and the NLA. Currently there are more Finns in the SHL but all time not the case. The only place where there are more Finns outside of SHL currently is Liiga and guess what the 2nd highest nationality of players there is... Canada. Heck there is even more Canadians in DEL, KHL, VHL and the Czech leagues.

We are everywhere.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
How many 14 year olds have even played in Jr A SM Liiga before? I can already tell this is going to be an intriguing prospect to keep tabs on
All I could found was this guy: Johannes Rundgren at eliteprospects.com but he wasn't good.

It is hard to search as he is a late birthday so for example Barkov played 25 games in the A-juniors at his 15-16 year old season. He was about 3 months older though. He just turned 15 before that season as he was born in early September.

I think Brad is still the second youngest to play in the A-juniors (after Rundgren) as if he was 2 weeks younger, he would be a 2004 born so I don't think two weeks matter that much.

So to answer to your question, only him and Rundgren.

Last edited:

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
All I could found was this guy: Johannes Rundgren at eliteprospects.com but he wasn't good.

It is hard to search as he is a late birthday so for example Barkov played 25 games in the A-juniors at his 15-16 year old season. He was about 3 months older though. He just turned 15 before that season as he was born in September.

I think Brad is still the second youngest to play in the A-juniors (after Rundgren) as if he was 2 weeks younger, he would be a 2004 born so I don't think two weeks matter that much.

I think Ristolainen played a couple games in A-juniors as a D-3, although I think he had turned 15 at the time, and as you pointed out Barkov played as a 15-year old in his D-2 season, so they both played at a similar age (Barkov 3 months and Ristolainen 2 months older).

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland

It is hard to search as he is a late birthday so for example Barkov played 25 games in the A-juniors at his 15-16 year old season. He was about 3 months older though. He just turned 15 before that season as he was born in September.

So to answer to your question, only him and Rundgren.
Rundgren data has to be fake, he was 12 when he played in C-SM and by the stats he has always been shit, so he doesn’t count which leaves Brad as the youngest A-SM player ever.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I think Ristolainen played a couple games in A-juniors as a D-3, although I think he had turned 15 at the time, and as you pointed out Barkov played as a 15-year old in his D-2 season, so they both played at a similar age (Barkov 3 months and Ristolainen 2 months older).
Yeah I didn't mention Ristolainen as he probably had turned 15 before he played a single game in the A-juniors.

Rundgren data has to be fake, he was 12 when he played in C-SM and by the stats he has always been ****, so he doesn’t count which leaves Brad as the youngest A-SM player ever.
Highly possible, yeah.. It would be nice to actually have Rundgren's real stats.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, Rundgren's stats surely aren't real. He would have been 12 years old while playing in the u18 league and 13 years old while playing in the u20 league and that just is completely impossible, even moreso considering that he actually ended up being a very bad player.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Finland has gotten better over the last few years but they aren't on Canada's level yet. Per Capita Ontario alone out produces both Finland and Sweden in terms of NHL talent. Finland is only missing more players to the NHL because they have far less than Canada does and Canada has more players at pretty much every level of NA professional hockey. More Canadians have played in the KHL, SHL and the NLA. Currently there are more Finns in the SHL but all time not the case. The only place where there are more Finns outside of SHL currently is Liiga and guess what the 2nd highest nationality of players there is... Canada. Heck there is even more Canadians in DEL, KHL, VHL and the Czech leagues.

We are everywhere.

We are everywhere because we have far more players, also don't think the bolded part makes sense. Ontario alone has over 254, 000 registered hockey players . The whole country of Finland has a bit over 73, 000 which even if unreported would not touch the Ontario numbers. This would mean to be really fair ,you'd have to compare Finland to one of the Canadian provinces with similar amount of registered players. Even against provinces with far more players, Finland stacks up well with any province with perhaps a slight edge to Ontario who have far more registered players.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
Yeah, Rundgren's stats surely aren't real. He would have been 12 years old while playing in the u18 league and 13 years old while playing in the u20 league and that just is completely impossible, even moreso considering that he actually ended up being a very bad player.

I don't think that it is the stats themselves that are wrong, but rather the birth year.

Johannes Rundgren profile - Йоhаннес Рундгрен Профиль - Eurohockey.com

He's listed as 1984 rather than 1988 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->