C Brad Lambert - Pelicans Lahti, Liiga (2022 Draft) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think JYP will be on a short leash. They better play him or he probably leaves. He's already shown that he's willing to move teams often.
Hah, as if. Zero percent chance of that happening. I think Saskatoon just wanted some publicity and the ability to wave the "he grew up here"-flag around.
I think you are talking about the 2 year rule which wouldn't apply to Lambert as he is a full dual citizen. The 2 year rule is for players that just gained citizenship but haven't previously declared for a nation. All it is going to come down to with Lambert is which country he decides he wants to play for. Which presumably is Finland anyways.
Wrong, the 2 year rule's for "full dual citizens". He needs to play 2 full seasons in Canada if he wants to represent them.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He was raised in Lahti and not in Saskatoon.

Only reason Canada has a chance on getting him is because coronavirus cancelled U18's which would've cemented the situation.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Hah, as if. Zero percent chance of that happening. I think Saskatoon just wanted some publicity and the ability to wave the "he grew up here"-flag around.

Wrong, the 2 year rule's for "full dual citizens". He needs to play 2 full seasons in Canada if he wants to represent them.
Acquiring a new national eligibility (The ‘two-year’ case)
When a player has changed his citizenship or has acquired another citizenship and wants to participate for the first time in an IIHF competition representing the new country he/she must:
  • Prove that he has participated for at least two consecutive hockey seasons and 16 consecutive months (480 days) in the national competitions of his new country after his 10th birthday during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country. Female players need to have participated on a consistent basis for at least one hockey season and have been member of the new national association for at least 8 consecutive months (240 days) during that period.
  • Have an international transfer card (ITC) that shows the transfer to the national association of his new country and which was approved and dated at least 16 months (480 days) before the start of the IIHF competition in which he wishes to participate.
  • For female players the period is 8 months (240 days) instead of 16 months.

I am pretty sure you are wrong. He hasn't changed his citizenship he has been a Canadian citizen since the day he was born and he isn't locked to either Canada or Finland internationally yet.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is the IIHF's 2020-2022 bylaw: https://iihfstorage.blob.core.windo...ads/statutes/2020-2022-statute-and-bylaws.pdf

The relevant part, I believe, is found on the 34th page of the document in section 4.2:

"Players that have never played in an IIHF Championship

4.2.1 A male player who has two legal citizenships or more, or has changed his citizenship or has acquired or surrendered a citizenship and wants to participate for the first time in an IIHF Championship and/or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in order to play for his Country of choice the player must: (a) prove that he has (i) participated in the competitions within his Country of choice on a consistent basis, over at least 16 consecutive months (480 days) and during two hockey seasons after his 10th birthday (ii) resided in his Country of choice during that period and (iii) neither transferred to another Country nor played ice hockey for a team registered or located within any other Country during that period; and (b) if the Country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must have had an international transfer that was approved by the IIHF and dated at least 16 months (480 days) prior to his proposed participation."

Basically, if my understanding is correct, Lambert would need to play two consecutive seasons of hockey in Canada after he turned 10 in order to be eligible to play for Canada.

This issue came up for Jake Walman a few years back. Born and raised in Canada but he had American citizenship. He was playing NCAA hokey and tried to play for USA at the WJC and the IIHF stopped it.

McKenzie: The curious case of Jake Walman - TSN.ca

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This is the IIHF's 2020-2022 bylaw: https://iihfstorage.blob.core.windo...ads/statutes/2020-2022-statute-and-bylaws.pdf

The relevant part, I believe, is found on the 34th page of the document in section 4.2:

"Players that have never played in an IIHF Championship

4.2.1 A male player who has two legal citizenships or more, or has changed his citizenship or has acquired or surrendered a citizenship and wants to participate for the first time in an IIHF Championship and/or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in order to play for his Country of choice the player must: (a) prove that he has (i) participated in the competitions within his Country of choice on a consistent basis, over at least 16 consecutive months (480 days) and during two hockey seasons after his 10th birthday (ii) resided in his Country of choice during that period and (iii) neither transferred to another Country nor played ice hockey for a team registered or located within any other Country during that period; and (b) if the Country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must have had an international transfer that was approved by the IIHF and dated at least 16 months (480 days) prior to his proposed participation."

Basically, if my understanding is correct, Lambert would need to play two consecutive seasons of hockey in Canada after he turned 10 in order to be eligible to play for Canada.

This issue came up for Jake Walman a few years back. Born and raised in Canada but he had American citizenship. He was playing NCAA hokey and tried to play for USA at the WJC and the IIHF stopped it.

McKenzie: The curious case of Jake Walman - TSN.ca
I know, Jack, I know... You're against it, but we're just talking.

Having said that, if you want, you can go to Go Fund Me and contribute to the account called "Make Brad Lambert A Canadian", we'd appreciate anything you can give.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If I can guess at what you’re really asking, he’s not locked into representing Finland by IIHF rules yet.

It would be awesome if he came back to Canada. Not only would I love to watch him play in Saskatoon, it would be hilarious to watch how certain posters would change their narrative regarding him.

It would also hilariously expose the hypocrisy of certain posters on the dual-citizenship issue.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I am pretty sure you are wrong. He hasn't changed his citizenship he has been a Canadian citizen since the day he was born and he isn't locked to either Canada or Finland internationally yet.
So what? It still requires 2 years played in Canada, and those need to have been played in two consecutive seasons. What you're talking about has literally nothing to do with the rule.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I know, Jack, I know... You're against it, but we're just talking.

Having said that, if you want, you can go to Go Fund Me and contribute to the account called "Make Brad Lambert A Canadian", we'd appreciate anything you can give.

I'm just putting down what the actual rule is. I don't have interest in Lambert playing for Canada even if he decided to start jumping through the required hoops. I wish him all the best in his career though.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Yes his family is from the area and his father+uncle both played for the Blades in the past. Also his uncle Dale Lambert was recently hired as the head coach of the Saskatoon Contacts Midget AAA team(has Brayden Yager, Riley Heidt, Kalan Lind, Berkly Catton)

I think staying in Finland would be good for him but like I said in his 1st thread if there is a chl team that could get him to come over it's Saskatoon.

Apparently his grandparents are also living in Saskatoon, so there's another factor. The Blades owner used to watch him when he played minor hockey with the Kodiaks.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Now, after 4 pre-season games Lambert's scored 4 points(sharing team lead). Unfortunately, the team's gotten crushed in every game so far, with a goal differential of 7-19 in those 4 games.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Anyone else think it's somewhat suspect and concerning that he has moving to his third different organization over the last three seasons?

Ordinarily that might be the case but in this situation not so much. Going from Pelicans to HIFK to play junior is not uncommon since HIFK is generally a bigger club (that has been the case for decades in Finnish hockey).

At Liiga level, HIFK is generally more of a veteran team with higher salaries while JYP has generally relied on younger prospects and veteran players that require lesser salaries to be competitive.

Wouldn’t read more into the situation than that. Until fairly recently, many of the players from the smaller clubs outside of Helsinki would move to HIFK, Jokerit or even Espoo Blues (before their financial issues) if they showed NHL potential.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Now, after 4 pre-season games Lambert's scored 4 points(sharing team lead). Unfortunately, the team's gotten crushed in every game so far, with a goal differential of 7-19 in those 4 games.

U20 or Liiga team?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Only saw the one game vs Kärpät but their whole team looked absolutely awful, just no offensive or defensive system at all. Don't think they managed to connect more than two passes all game.

Going to be a tough season for JYP.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Only saw the one game vs Kärpät but their whole team looked absolutely awful, just no offensive or defensive system at all. Don't think they managed to connect more than two passes all game.

Yep, very brutal team so far. I hope he can still have a decent season.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Yep, very brutal team so far. I hope he can still have a decent season.
They'll have Honka, Lambert, Puistola, Jurmo, Turkulainen & surprisingly maybe even Samuel Helenius. They'll be such a young team, and I might even have forgot someone. Safe to assume their season will be high scoring and very volatile. Probably not a playoff team but I am absolutely watching them all year

Adding to the list: Severi Lahtinen, Oskari Kalajanniska, Patrik Siikanen, Roni Allén, Valtteri Kakkonen. Jesus christ they're so damn young, even if some of these guys don't make the team. The goalies 23 or under as well

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
They'll have Honka, Lambert, Puistola, Jurmo, Turkulainen & surprisingly maybe even Samuel Helenius. They'll be such a young team, and I might even have forgot someone. Safe to assume their season will be high scoring and very volatile. Probably not a playoff team but I am absolutely watching them all year

Adding to the list: Severi Lahtinen, Oskari Kalajanniska, Patrik Siikanen, Roni Allén, Valtteri Kakkonen. Jesus christ they're so damn young, even if some of these guys don't make the team. The goalies 23 or under as well

Immonen and Tuppurainen have some babysitting to do.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Can't help thinking JYP team in December will be much stronger than today's team.

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad