C Brad Lambert - Pelicans Lahti, Liiga (2022 Draft) part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
His rookie Liiga season was a touch disappointing, but only because expectations were so sky high. Dude has an incredible skill set - unreal skater, elite puck handler, very good hockey IQ, he does it all. Most similar prospect to MacKinnon that I’ve seen since MacKinnon. Personally I still have him #2.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with the MacKinnon comparison. Incredible acceleration and power in his stride. Barzal is smoother in his stride. I see more similarities to MacKinnon. He’s a dual threat with passing and shooting. Barzal is more one dimensional.

Reactions: ponder

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I actually think his IQ is a bit of an issue right now. Elite skating high skill level but hasn't figured out how to use his teammates properly. Still a very high end prospect.
Agree with this, he hasn't been using his teammates efficiently enough for me to see him going 2nd OA, top 5 in my books rn.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I actually think his IQ is a bit of an issue right now. Elite skating high skill level but hasn't figured out how to use his teammates properly. Still a very high end prospect.
Curious too since I'd have considered that to have been a strength when he was still with HIFK, but with JYP he's looked like a low IQ player. This season will likely be very telling.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I agree with the MacKinnon comparison. Incredible acceleration and power in his stride. Barzal is smoother in his stride. I see more similarities to MacKinnon. He’s a dual threat with passing and shooting. Barzal is more one dimensional.
Agreed, Barzal is more of a super smooth skater and puck handler, with a fairly east-west game. While MacKinnon is more of a powerful, explosive skater and puck handler, with a north-south game. Lambert has that MacKinnon style, from the games of his I’ve seen.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
A lot of work to do without the puck, he is very one dimensional right now. Don't think he'll fall outside the top 10 but I also don't think he'll go top 3 if there isn't any improvements there this season. Fingers crossed it's just a maturity thing

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Feels like an overreaction to a summer tournament that Lambert had no stakes in. He's all but guaranteed to make the U20 squad in the end of the year. The most imporant thing is his upcoming Liiga season. I do agree that Lambert has his problems though and because the next draft is filled with talented players, Lambert's expected high pick isn't as set in stone as it once was, although those yearly rankings are always unreliable.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Reminds me a lot of Nylander at the same age. Maybe a more powerful skater but with less skill

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'm still pretty bullish on Lambert as the #2 prospect in this class as well, and I'm not even as high on having prospects in European men's leagues as many on this board are. I think Wright has separated himself. But I haven't seen anyone else blow me away enough to pass on Lambert's combination of speed and skill on a pretty good center frame. I think he has the tools to score pretty effectively in both transition and controlled 5v5 possessions/powerplay situations. I think he has a good enough balance between his vision/playmaking ability and his scoring ability where he doesn't feel particularly one-trick.

Some concerns about his processing power and consistency, but no serious enough red flags where I'd move him under prospects not named Wright at this point. As a Red Wings fan I'd happily take him at #2 and gamble on his 1C upside were the draft held today.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Feels like an overreaction to a summer tournament that Lambert had no stakes in. He's all but guaranteed to make the U20 squad in the end of the year. The most imporant thing is his upcoming Liiga season. I do agree that Lambert has his problems though and because the next draft is filled with talented players, Lambert's expected high pick isn't as set in stone as it once was, although those yearly rankings are always unreliable.

You had good points and i agree most with you.
That EP rinkside article truly looks a bit overreaction based on one practice tournament.

I didn't follow at all Finland's games in Plymouth's U20 tournament
so i can't say what was good and what was bad in Lambert's game.

Practice games are practice games
and reporters should avoid make any conclusions based on those games.
That what's real indicator for Lambert's draft position is his liiga season and U20 WJC's.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm still pretty bullish on Lambert as the #2 prospect in this class as well, and I'm not even as high on having prospects in European men's leagues as many on this board are. I think Wright has separated himself. But I haven't seen anyone else blow me away enough to pass on Lambert's combination of speed and skill on a pretty good center frame. I think he has the tools to score pretty effectively in both transition and controlled 5v5 possessions/powerplay situations. I think he has a good enough balance between his vision/playmaking ability and his scoring ability where he doesn't feel particularly one-trick.

Some concerns about his processing power and consistency, but no serious enough red flags where I'd move him under prospects not named Wright at this point. As a Red Wings fan I'd happily take him at #2 and gamble on his 1C upside were the draft held today.

If you was Steve Yzerman and you have to choose
between Lambert, Slafkovsky and Miroshnichenko who you would take and why?

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
I find it actually funny that most of the Finnish posters are being quite down on Lambert from the initial expectations, while NA posters are seeing him as #2 going into the season before draft.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I find it actually funny that most of the Finnish posters are being quite down on Lambert from the initial expectations, while NA posters are seeing him as #2 going into the season before draft.
I think he hasn't shown much in the past year, so it's reasonable to be a bit reserved. A lot can change between now and the draft.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Maybe it's the pessimistic Finnish nature and the recent fall of Räty that got everyone's expectations down.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Last season he was much worse than I thought he'd be. The season before, in the Liiga games he played he was constantly creating and dangerous. Last season with JYP he was much milder, like he took a step backwards.

North American reactions to Finnish players in general seem pretty delayed, for better or for worse.
Maybe it's the pessimistic Finnish nature and the recent fall of Räty that got everyone's expectations down.
But Räty might be bouncing back judging by his recent u-20 development tournament performance.

Reactions: jonu and Keke

hyd3nSeek

Dec 27, 2020
Finland
I don't quite understand the narrative about underwhelming first season in Liiga. 99% of players don't have any business playing there at age of 16(he turned 17 halfway of the season). I think Barkov has been the most effective player at that age and he scored 16pts in less games and also 4pts at WJC (like Lambert). Tappara was much better team that year than JYP last year and Barkov is a perfect match to Tappara's/Dufva's hockey. While last season must have been tough to every player in JYP (Coach drama, some player(some owners) drama, financial struggles, Covid- year etc.).

I think under the circumstances he did pretty well as he is not as physically ready to play against men like Barkov was. This year should be the one where he really should make his mark in Liiga. I think most recent high picks from Finland started to look good in men's league during the draft year (Kakko, Laine, Puljujärvi, Aho, Barkov) so I wouldnt worry about Lambert either. I think he should be in top3 overall conversation when the draft day comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->