C Barrett Hayton (2018, 5th, ARZ)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
For me it's gotta be Kotkaniemi, I think he has much higher offensive potential and is going to put up huge numbers next year. I'm really excited to see what Hayton can do this upcoming season though, if he can produce offense at the same rate as other recent OHL first rounders like Frost, Thomas, or Vilardi it'll be hard to choose between the two. I might even take Hayton due to his proficiency on the defensive side of the game; anyone compared to Bergeron isn't someone you want to pass on.

The media compares kids every year to Bergeron. It’s the laziest comparison the hockey media makes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Karlsson is far, far more over- and mis-used.
A bunch are commonly used. I've seen a few Kopitar's over the year (Matthews, Barkov, Galchenyuk, Kotkaniemi), the Bergeron's I remember are Hayton and previously Horvat. You also see Toews used fairly often such as Jost and Monahan.

Generally, stylistic comparisons are overly simplistic once you dig past the surface level. The Karlsson one is often misused though.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
How's Captain Premium looked in the games the last few days?

I wasn't a big fan of Hayton before the draft, and he did little to change that. Still has those stiff back, short stride skating bouts that give me Cody Hodgson flashbacks. Looked small-ish. I think Hayton strength is his stick work. I remember him having a very good defensive play, robbing a Swedish player of the puck cleanly with his stick. Also rang one off the post (Entwistle buried the rebound). Played well, but did not stand out the way you might expect a top 5 pick to. I'd say Entwistle was a more noticeable guy on that line (Dewar-Hayton-Entwistle), but of course he's a year older.

Read as much as you want into a one summer game report from a skeptic :)

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
whats the update on him at this training camp?

Played two games, 15 mins in each. No points, had a shot and a hit in one game and was a -1. Really nothing notable at all, except I believe he was above 50% on face offs which is quite good? Didn’t really stand out.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
whats the update on him at this training camp?

Mediocre, even in prospect camp. Hasn't flashed much actual raw talent and his drive leaves something to be desired for a 'character' pick.

That said, he's young and will get better. Just not much shown for a top five pick so far.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hayton is obviously a longer term pick. Horvat really didn't show much his first training camp either. I'd be worried if he doesn't see a huge jump in production though.

Zadina is a year older and much more developed. It's unfair to compare them now.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Hayton is obviously a longer term pick. Horvat really didn't show much his first training camp either. I'd be worried if he doesn't see a huge jump in production though.

Zadina is a year older and much more developed. It's unfair to compare them now.

A year older huh....

lawrence

May 19, 2012

he's less then 7 months older.

Horvat really didn't show much his first training camp either.
Horvat really didn't show much his first training camp either.

not doing any comparisons but Horvat looked good, despite everyone knowing he will return to London. Shinkaruk sucked.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Look, I don't want to hijack the Hayton thread... But the difference actually is quite simply that Zadina is the better prospect and 30 other teams in Arizona's position would have taken Zadina at 5. I'm not saying Hayton can't become a good player and good pick, but at this point there isn't anything real to justify taking him at 5. If Hayton grows into a top 5 player in this draft, it had nothing to do with what anyone could have predicted today.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

You do know that you play in your age bracket. He's born in 1999 and he's played hockey more than Hayton. Just like if you're a late birthday you have 3 years of OHL hockey compared to 2 before your draft.

Zadina has 1 year of WJC eligibility left. Hayton has 2. If Zadina was Canadian he would have 1 year of CHL eligibility left (not including overage) , Hayton has 2

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Look, I don't want to hijack the Hayton thread... But the difference actually is quite simply that Zadina is the better prospect and 30 other teams in Arizona's position would have taken Zadina at 5. I'm not saying Hayton can't become a good player and good pick, but at this point there isn't anything real to justify taking him at 5. If Hayton grows into a top 5 player in this draft, it had nothing to do with what anyone could have predicted today.

Can I have access to the link you have to the minds of all the scouts in the league?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Its all phone numbers and emails bud. Don't think they would appreciate me handing that info out to a casual hockey fan..

It's quite funny, it's not like I am trying to slam this guy or anything, more or less scouting up team Canada roster for December, if Vancouver made the same move at 5, his fan base would be all over it, non stop. Now he's playing hero. hfboards never change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad