C Barrett Hayton (2018, 5th, ARZ)

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If he's Horvat with better hands, vision, and playmaking then I'd expect him to be putting up 60p+ seasons within the next 3 years. I don't know enough about this prospect to say if that's reasonable or not, but that's a pretty lofty goal for nearly any prospect.

Why were all the scouts so down on him if he's so good and a center? Are there any glaring flaws in his game? How is his skating? I didn't see his name pop up once when looking at potential 7th OA picks so I'm kinda in the dark about him and curious about his potential.

I'm not saying Hayton is Joe Thornton in comparison, but I think he's a little more naturally skilled than Horvat.

I don't think it's really fair to say the scouts were down on him when he went 5th overall. He isn't the type of player you can watch for 3-5 games and get a good read on, so that's why he wasn't highly ranked by agencies or bloggers, IMO.

If Frost moves on next season and Hayton gets the reins, I'd expect his production to explode and a lot of people to change their opinion on his upside.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He can be better than Horvat, IMO. I don't think scouts are down on him, I think he just saw a late rise so they are gun shy. He compares himself to Bergeron, and you can see it in his game. He doesn't have the skating Bo had in London, but he's a skilled passer, decent shot, plays the physical game well. Great possession player, and a cerebral backchecker.

He will be a special player for Phoenix, I think. They found a guy who's traditional stats are barely top 10 worthy, while having excellent possession and checking ability. I only saw him on the 3rd line and 2nd PP, but the offensive talent is there. He seems to do all the modern game qualities well (suppressing shots, keeping possession, making his teammates better, etc)

Interesting, I can't wait to see how his game develops this year as he's given more ice time and opportunity. It sounds like he was mostly buried by depth than anything else.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Interesting, I can't wait to see how his game develops this year as he's given more ice time and opportunity. It sounds like he was mostly buried by depth than anything else.

The last game I saw him, when I really noticed him, he seemed to be 3rd C. Frost seemed to be on the ice the whole game. I think this year, you will see Hayton get a lot more opportunity.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
I see Horvat in this pick so much, if not even better than Horvat at the same age. 5th overall might be a bit of a reach but the Coyotes have themselves a great player regardless.

Reactions: 99664987

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Or do you badly underrate Hayton?

I don’t recall you or anyone speaking highly of hayton, so no. Props to you if you were Pimpinh him prior to the draft in fact most people criticized button for having him 7.

Hfboards at it again. Nice pick btw

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don’t recall you or anyone speaking highly of hayton, so no. Props to you if you were Pimpinh him prior to the draft in fact most people criticized button for having him 7.

Hfboards at it again. Nice pick btw

I was trying to hype him up on the Oilers board, but it wasn't received too well haha.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Just watching TSN, McKenzie said if Hayton wasn't picked by Arizona their was another team in the top 10 that was going to pick him(no mention of who)
It might have been the Canucks, they were really high on him.
But with Hughes on the board maybe not.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Why did Hayton go 5th overall and a guy like Allan McShane go in the 4th round? Extremely similar stats and Hayton played on a better team. Is the difference between them that big? I know Arizona went off the board and took Hayton higher than he was projected but still?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why did Hayton go 5th overall and a guy like Allan McShane go in the 4th round? Extremely similar stats and Hayton played on a better team. Is the difference between them that big? I know Arizona went off the board and took Hayton higher than he was projected but still?

From my understanding: Hayton is younger, larger, one of the best two way players coming out of the CHL, has a little better skating than McShane, and has had opportunities to flash in the Hlinka tournament and in the playoffs with SSM where he was one of their best players. Despite having pretty meh numbers, Hayton has flashed that 1C upside. He is viewed as a 'safe' pick so how likely he is to be a 1C is up for debate but Chayka was really comfortable with the pick.

I feel Hayton got over-drafted and guys like McShane are a bit under-drafted. I really don't want the first praise out of a GM's mouth to be about "What a premium person (Hayton) is." Chayka picked Keller with the same intuition so we'll wait and see but it's not a super enthusiastic pick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hayton to me seems to have the upside of O'Reilly or Kesler. If he reaches that level it will look like a great pick from Arizona but even if he only reaches 75% potential you will be asking yourself why did they make this pick

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'm asking who's better in short term or long term..

Kotkaniemi short term. Long term I think Hayton has a bit higher floor but Kotkaniemi's ceiling is higher. Obviously you take the guy who's better now and also has more potential to be better in the future.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
McShane is a poor skater, small, and not strong on his skates. That is generally a death blow to an NHL career for a playmaker as they simply aren't able to create time on the puck to open up passing lanes. I think Arizona reached on Hayton, but, when judging NHL potential, there is a massive gap between McShane and Hayton, especially when it comes to their respective floors. There is always the chance Hayton outright busts, but more likely his lower end is a 3rd line winger, McShane's lower end is an NLA or DEL player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
McShane is a poor skater, small, and not strong on his skates. That is generally a death blow to an NHL career for a playmaker as they simply aren't able to create time on the puck to open up passing lanes. I think Arizona reached on Hayton, but, when judging NHL potential, there is a massive gap between McShane and Hayton, especially when it comes to their respective floors. There is always the chance Hayton outright busts, but more likely his lower end is a 3rd line winger, McShane's lower end is an NLA or DEL player.

I agree, Hayton is clearly a better prospect.

McShane kind of reminds me of ROR, though ROR was a lot stronger at the same age. But they were both knocked for their skating as prospects, and had identical draft seasons. McShane is going to require a lot of work, he is definitely a boom/bust kinda guy.

Last edited:

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
Hayton or Kotkaniemi? A bit close
For me it's gotta be Kotkaniemi, I think he has much higher offensive potential and is going to put up huge numbers next year. I'm really excited to see what Hayton can do this upcoming season though, if he can produce offense at the same rate as other recent OHL first rounders like Frost, Thomas, or Vilardi it'll be hard to choose between the two. I might even take Hayton due to his proficiency on the defensive side of the game; anyone compared to Bergeron isn't someone you want to pass on.

Reactions: GHJimmy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad