C Barrett Hayton (2018, 5th, ARZ)

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
Anyone know his likely wingers next year in SSM?

THIS IS ALL SPECULATION I AM NOT AN INSIDER

not a soo fan, but I do watch the ohl pretty regularly, roth seems the most likely to me on the right considering im pretty sure his regular line mates this past year were kopacka and roth. no idea on the left considering kopacka, gettinger, and katchouk all signed. I also think there's a non zero probability he spends some time on LW IF Frost returns. Would not surprise me to see that combo spend some time together especially if they're down by a goal in the 3rd. Not sure how likely it is again as I am no insider and not even a soo fan

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I guess will know soon or in 10 years who was the better pick. I guess the question is could Chayka traded down a bit in the top ten and still got Hayton.
But despite what team executives say, they do draft by position, so a guaranteed good centre was what Phoenix wanted/needed, Hayton was their guy.

I suspect it would have been hard to trade down and expect to get Hayton. Rumblings Chicago was interested in him at #8, and wouldn’t be shocked if the Rangers took him at #9.

Fundamentally the same situation as Kotkaniemi where you couldn’t be confident of trading down while still getting your guy.

Reactions: PuckLife

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I was quite surprised by this pick.

I thought for sure Chayka would snatch up Zadina when he fell right into their lap...

Zadina has the talent to be a star in the NHL. He has big time goal scorer potential. Could have been the type of player to help draw a crowd in AZ (if he hits his ceiling).

I thought Hayton projected to be more of a very good 2 way 3C, maybe a good 2C if everything goes great.
Doesn't seem like he has the ceiling to go top 5 from what I've read.

I've been surprised by other high picks in the past, and been wrong. So who knows. Hopefully the guy getting paid to do this (Chayka) knows a lot more than me! lol

As others said, this pick could make him look really smart, or quite foolish. Time will tell.

Rusty8719

Feb 21, 2018
So the Coyotes basically drafted Stepan/Horvat/Shorter Staal/Bozak/Mikael Backlund 5th overall.

Is that a good pick? (I think it is)

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I still can't believe Hayton was taken 5th overall. Speaks to how valuable centers are.

I will gladly come back to this thread in a few years if I'm wrong on Hayton, but to me he will never be anything more than a 3rd line center. I've seen him at last year's Hlinka, to this year in the OHL playoffs.. I do not see the upside to be anything more than that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I still can't believe Hayton was taken 5th overall. Speaks to how valuable centers are.

I will gladly come back to this thread in a few years if I'm wrong on Hayton, but to me he will never be anything more than a 3rd line center. I've seen him at last year's Hlinka, to this year in the OHL playoffs.. I do not see the upside to be anything more than that.

His stats are basically in line with other CHL centers taken high. I don't know how you project those guys to be better if Hayton is "only" going to be a 3C.

Reactions: 99664987

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
His stats are basically in line with other CHL centers taken high. I don't know how you project those guys to be better if Hayton is "only" going to be a 3C.
He reminds me of Scott Laughton. Hands are 'meh', I think he rushes plays and he makes a name for himself with the little tangible things.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I suspect it would have been hard to trade down and expect to get Hayton. Rumblings Chicago was interested in him at #8, and wouldn’t be shocked if the Rangers took him at #9.

Fundamentally the same situation as Kotkaniemi where you couldn’t be confident of trading down while still getting your guy.
Wouldnt have made it past Vancouver either. Benning stated that the top 7 players taken matched his top 7, just in a different order.

Reactions: PuckLife and Heldig

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A more talented ROR would be a very valuable player.

In fact, I would bet good money the desire to circle back to draft a center (as Chayka said they did) came after calling Buffalo to see what they wanted for ROR. If you see players as pieces of raw value meant to be shifted around to build a roster, it makes sense to take any center that projects as a 2C or better.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm mostly surprised at the pick because Chayka is really into advanced stats and Hayton doesn't have good underlying numbers.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm mostly surprised at the pick because Chayka is really into advanced stats and Hayton doesn't have good underlying numbers.

The public facing data isn't great but Chayka specifically cited that he popped on whatever metrics they use internally.

Reactions: PuckLife

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Or do you badly underrate Hayton?

If he's Horvat with better hands, vision, and playmaking then I'd expect him to be putting up 60p+ seasons within the next 3 years. I don't know enough about this prospect to say if that's reasonable or not, but that's a pretty lofty goal for nearly any prospect.

Why were all the scouts so down on him if he's so good and a center? Are there any glaring flaws in his game? How is his skating? I didn't see his name pop up once when looking at potential 7th OA picks so I'm kinda in the dark about him and curious about his potential.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If he's Horvat with better hands, vision, and playmaking then I'd expect him to be putting up 60p+ seasons within the next 3 years. I don't know enough about this prospect to say if that's reasonable or not, but that's a pretty lofty goal for nearly any prospect.

Why were all the scouts so down on him if he's so good and a center? Are there any glaring flaws in his game? How is his skating? I didn't see his name pop up once when looking at potential 7th OA picks so I'm kinda in the dark about him and curious about his potential.

He can be better than Horvat, IMO. I don't think scouts are down on him, I think he just saw a late rise so they are gun shy. He compares himself to Bergeron, and you can see it in his game. He doesn't have the skating Bo had in London, but he's a skilled passer, decent shot, plays the physical game well. Great possession player, and a cerebral backchecker.

He will be a special player for Phoenix, I think. They found a guy who's traditional stats are barely top 10 worthy, while having excellent possession and checking ability. I only saw him on the 3rd line and 2nd PP, but the offensive talent is there. He seems to do all the modern game qualities well (suppressing shots, keeping possession, making his teammates better, etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad