C Alexander Khovanov - Metallurg Zhlobin, Belarus (2018, 86th, MIN released)

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
chVAMo3z0Hk.jpg

--------------------------------------------eliteprospects.com-------------------------------------------

There is one more young russian talent - Andrei Svechnikov's teammate and even linemate, who is maybe not so talented as his partner, but still very exciting hockey player with tons of skill. He was wearing a "C" on his jersey during this past Youth Olimpic Games. One of the best scorers of the tourney along with Svechnikov and Wise. He really reminds me a lot of Clayton Keller - the same strong sides like amazing hands and vision, agile skating and sharp shot. Definitly a 1st-round talent in my book.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Now we'll see how good is he without Svechnikov.

Always thought he's pretty good per se. You could see him without Svechnikov on the past YOG, when Andrei was suspended for rest of the tourney. His absence didn't prevent Khovanov from becoming one of the best scorers. But we will see surely, how they both will act without each other.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's Russian and one of the most talented of his age group. Means he's probably CHL bound.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Scored another one today against Tolpar. 2+2 now. Really good start for 16-year old. Watched today's game, he was pretty noticeable throughout all 3 periods. Very good skater and smart player with smooth hands.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
How good is the MHL compared to the CHL or USHL? Never seen games from the league?

In some ways MHL is even tougher league than CHL or USHL, primarily because its U-21 league and such young guys like Khovanov pretty much never get a lot of playing time, preference is given to more experienced and older players, talent doesn't play any significant role. Only one kid had ppg season as U-17 player in MHL. And that kid was Kucherov, even though he played for really offensively stacked team with guys like Gusev, Marchenko, Lyubimov, Torchenyuk etc. Khovanov plays for much more defensive-minded system with lesser talent around him, 0,7 ppg or even 0,6 ppg will be just super great result for him. And I believe this guy is talented enough to make this year's U-18 team.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
In some ways MHL is even tougher league than CHL or USHL, primarily because its U-21 league and such young guys like Khovanov pretty much never get a lot of playing time, preference is given to more experienced and older players, talent doesn't play any significant role. Only one kid had ppg season as U-17 player in MHL. And that kid was Kucherov, even though he played for really offensively stacked team with guys like Gusev, Marchenko, Lyubimov, Torchenyuk etc. Khovanov plays for much more defensive-minded system with lesser talent around him, 0,7 ppg or even 0,6 ppg will be just super great result for him. And I believe this guy is talented enough to make this year's U-18 team.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know it was u21 so it sounds like he is doing well. Hope he continues to.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Thanks for the info. Didn't know it was u21 so it sounds like he is doing well. Hope he continues to.

I'm not sure about that, there are some 96-born kids playing this season though. Maybe there're more competent users who might to clarify the situation.:)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Fun fact: the other goal in that 2-0 victory over Tolpar was scored by Nikita Malukhin, who's even younger, than Khovanov. They are both of 2000 year, but Malukhin is significantly bigger - 6'2, 202.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
1+3 today against Sarmati and total 5+6 in 14 games. All 3 assists were primary. From what I've seen so far that guy is a player. He's really smooth skater and his vision is top notch. Plus he's probably best 16 year old kid at the dot amongst those who ever played in MHL. So excited about his future.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Liked him a lot in the Youth Olympic Games, at times more than Svechnikov. Should have a bright future ahead of him.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
It looks like he's doing better, than Svechnikov.

Tough to say. We russians haven't seen him play since start of the season. Statistically he's not bad at all. We'll see them both at the upcoming u-17 tourney though and then we can draw our conclusions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad