C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yes, Hughes and Wise are ahead of him at center right now on the U18 team.
thanks, I havent seen the call ups yet, wasn't sure if they were moving him to wing just to get more ice time.

Wise has been awesome of late and Hughes is well an okay player..lol.. Turcotte is just getting exposure and playing against good competition right now, he will be a top dog next year for them no question.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was playing wing the last two games. Hain was the center. I think when Weiss returns, they'll move Hain back down to the fourth line, and Turcotte back to center.

Reactions: AmericanDream

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He'll get top 5 consideration, or appears on track to. He, Hughes, Vlasic and possibly Beecher have the highest draft stocks. Caufield would if he wasn't 5'9. Will be an interesting class to follow, not sure if they will end up as good as the 97's, but they look special.
and Case Mccarthy

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Am I wrong in thinking Turcotte has a 1C ceiling in the NHL? He's not generational like McDavid or even as good as lesser players like Eichel or Matthews who were definitely going to be NHL 1C's, but I think he's probably in the next tier, and has a good chance to be a 1C.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Am I wrong in thinking Turcotte has a 1C ceiling in the NHL? He's not generational like McDavid or even as good as lesser players like Eichel or Matthews who were definitely going to be NHL 1C's, but I think he's probably in the next tier, and has a good chance to be a 1C.
Hey, there are thirty-two #1C in the NHL, so I could see Turcotte being one of those at some point. It's too early to predict anything, but it's certainly not an outrageous projection.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
1G, 1A against the Swiss. Absolutely dominant match. First gif is the goal, second is the assist, but the assist was nicer than what is shown, cuts off most of the play. He plays on the third line with two unskilled players who don't help him, so his point totals are lower than they could be and he has to do everything himself. He can though. Puck hound, generates many steals, and he generates offense probably as well as any non-Hughes forward in the 2019 draft.

Edit: 3:00 of this video has the full goal.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
1G, 2A today and won player of the game. Now has 2G, 3A in the tournament. He was robbed of an assist by the official scorer on Caufield's second goal, should be 2G, 4A. He made a very unselfish play on Caufield's hat-trick goal, could've easily put it in himself but he knew a teammate was on a hat-trick. His game is more than just points though. He's one of the best you'll see at stealing pucks, he's excellent down low with possession in the offensive zone, and very responsible defensively. I don't think he'll outscore Hughes, but if he has another season like this season, I could see him challenging Hughes for 1OA because he has the attributes of a top-end center in the NHL, Hughes has the attributes of a top-end scorer that probably transitions to wing.

Here was the goal he scored today.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Totally agreed, this kid is the full package. Seems to have all the tools and the toolbox to boot. All-action player on every inch of the ice. Hughes is so freaking dynamic I don’t want to try and claim Turcotte is the better prospect but would it surprise anybody if by draft day that Turcotte is not considered a potential franchise pivot in his own right?

I think he and Newhook are really going to gain traction as potential top 3-5 picks in the next year, even though Hughes overshadows Turcotte right now with the US group and the WHL boys (Cozens, Dach, Krebs) overshadow the BCHL kid in Newhook.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

PhantomGumBee

Apr 25, 2018
I think datsyuk is the best comparison my dad use to make the joke how many times have you seen datsyuk loose the puck answer :rarely if he does loose he steals it back within a half second .i think Turcotte is higher up because of the way he uses his body and absorbs a lot of contact. It seems like he loves to drive to the outside and then take it to cage ( resembles forseberg ) where Hughes although extremely slick prefers the middle cut back or the slipping the puck under the stick (which might be dangerous with bigger faster players) which might cause injury if not timed perfect. Definitely a good pairing that ultimately comes down to personal preference and what the team with the 1st pick in the 2019 draft needs. Let’s hope one of the better teams trades up drafts and pulls a Kane toews ( maybe Seattle)
-PG
Highlights from the Belarus game

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
He'll get top 5 consideration, or appears on track to. He, Hughes, Vlasic and possibly Beecher have the highest draft stocks. Caufield would if he wasn't 5'9. Will be an interesting class to follow, not sure if they will end up as good as the 97's, but they look special.
Caufield 5'9"?

If he were 5'9", he'd be a top 10 pick easy. Boldy, Knight and Zegras will be high picks too

Reactions: Acadien86

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Caufield 5'9"?

If he were 5'9", he'd be a top 10 pick easy. Boldy, Knight and Zegras will be high picks too
I messed up at the time, he's 5'6 last I checked. Alot has changed since then (that post was from early November). Boldy is ahead of Beecher, Vlasic, and Caulfield at the moment. Zegras is probably a first rounder (only person I've seen have him inside the top 20 is Pronman). Knight's stock will be erratic due to position and level of competition, but maybe he is the first junior based goalie to go in the first since Malcolm Subban. Cam York might be the first USNTDP defender off the board, as there is currently no clear standout.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I messed up at the time, he's 5'6 last I checked. Alot has changed since then (that post was from early November). Boldy is ahead of Beecher, Vlasic, and Caulfield at the moment. Zegras is probably a first rounder (only person I've seen have him inside the top 20 is Pronman). Knight's stock will be erratic due to position and level of competition, but maybe he is the first junior based goalie to go in the first since Malcolm Subban. Cam York might be the first USNTDP defender off the board, as there is currently no clear standout.
Damn, I didn't see the date, my bad.

Yeah, looks like we agree on everything lmao

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nice video.

I'd give his playmaking and defense a higher grade, and his shot a lower grade. Overall though, I think it presents a fair picture of what you can expect from Turcotte. His game reminds me a lot of Nico Hischier's from the 2017 draft. I think they are very similar prospects in terms of playing style and ability level.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I just did a scouting report on him if anyone is interested.

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the video, just wanted to pass along a note for you and an update on Turcotte:
  • The way EP presents NTDP stats is incredibly confusing, so I often see this mistake, but you have incorrect stats for Turcotte in your video. Last season, Turcotte had 63 points (15g, 48a) in 58 games in total. When using the EP site, you can't add up each row of NTDP stats as their season total, otherwise you'll be duplicating stats. If you want the player's NTDP season total, only combine their "USDP" rows (if they played on both the U17 and U18 team like Turcotte) or better yet use the NTDP site. The stats in the rows for USHL, WHC-17, and WJC-U18 are already included in the USDP rows, which is how you're over-counting.
  • This was just released, but on the update front, Turcotte is now 6'2.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Hey Andy,

Thanks for the video, just wanted to pass along a note for you and an update on Turcotte:
  • The way EP presents NTDP stats is incredibly confusing, so I often see this mistake, but you have incorrect stats for Turcotte in your video. Last season, Turcotte had 63 points (15g, 48a) in 58 games in total. When using the EP site, you can't add up each row of NTDP stats as their season total, otherwise you'll be duplicating stats. If you want the player's NTDP season total, only combine their "USDP" rows (if they played on both the U17 and U18 team like Turcotte) or better yet use the NTDP site. The stats in the rows for USHL, WHC-17, and WJC-U18 are already included in the USDP rows, which is how you're over-counting.
  • This was just released, but on the update front, Turcotte is now 6'2.
Thanks for clearing things up. I was confused too because I didn't saw that many games on the NTDP website. I decided to go with EP stats, but next time I will make sure to get it correctly.

Reactions: William H Bonney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad