C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
For guys who have seen him play many times, does he projects as an NHL C? How is he defensively?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
For guys who have seen him play many times, does he projects as an NHL C? How is he defensively?
Active and intelligent, with his speed of foot and mind being his greatest weapons, just as in every other aspect of his game. He won’t challenge for a Selke but there are zero truly concerning aspects of his defensive game IMO. Already shown a willingness to play low in the zone. And he’s without question at least projectable as a centre at the next level.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Reading through this thread, the ranting and raving about him being overrated by one particular poster because he didn’t go to the WJAC Team West last winter is just going to look dumber and dumber as this thread progresses. Really bizarre reason to dig your heels in about a guy who is a complete stud.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Must be injury related or yeah big surprise
Yep, he has a strong argument for the best Canadian for the 2019 draft, and the 2nd best Canadian at the camp (behind Lafreniere). Obviously, that is debatable on how to rank him with Krebs, Dach, Cozens and Byram, plus I guess in some peoples eyes Suzuki, Robertson, and Murray. I thought he was a lock for the roster.

Unless he got injured today, he was on the roster sheet for today's inter-camp scrimage. I haven't got the opportunity to watch that game yet, but I haven't heard anything about an injury.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Pretty big miss for Canada. I think Newhook is more in the 10-12 range for this draft right now and am not as high on him as others, but there’s no way he shouldn’t be on the U18 squad.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I hate say it but there has to be something.
To be “inexplicably” left off the WJAC and now Hlinka, says something.
Either he is not as good as the hype or he has done something off Ice to warrant the omission.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Either he is not as good as the hype or he has done something off Ice to warrant the omission.

Played well in camp. Lesser players made the team. No word on an injury. Maybe he pissed off a coach.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

He was more than good enough at the Hlinka camp tho. He had a goal and 4 points total in 3 split squad games and his level of play was excellent.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
If you don’t play in the CHL you had better play awesome. Otherwise you will be cut or relegated to 4th line by the HC brass. They tow the line and are very political. Tie goes to the CHL player period.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
If you don’t play in the CHL you had better play awesome. Otherwise you will be cut or relegated to 4th line by the HC brass. They tow the line and are very political. Tie goes to the CHL player period.

HC plays politics
known fact

they will promote certain players
over/ vs skill

the focus USDev team / college hockey and the amount of players ( canada ) flocking south of the border is getting insane

i could buy a player that shows his colors to play college hockey will be looked at differently than a chl bound player

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Holloway made the team as a forward, he had 0 points in the 3 games (I know points aren't everything) after putting up 27 points in 28 games in the AJHL (Compared to 66 points in 45 games for Newhook in the BCHL).

McBain made it last year without being near the player

Strange omission for sure, especially looking at the roster, but we see it every year with omissions. Cody Glass, Logan Brown, etc. I mean, Canada took 3 forwards last year who never even ended up getting drafted.

Newhook is going to light up the BCHL this year, will be a treat to watch.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I have ZERO first hand knowledge of Newhook but I know a lot goes into picking a team - character, personality, etc.....maybe something like that played a role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad