C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
His sister Abby is something else as well, I saw her at the Monctonian where she was captain of her boys Bantam AAA team, I think she has committed to the same school, would be shocked if we don't see her on Team Canada very soon.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
I mean the USHL would offer more competition were he to make that move, but it sounds like he's staying in the BCHL?
Tend to agree after many players struggled to make it in the USHL and then put up arcade type numbers in the BCHL. I think the move would challenge him much more

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Tend to agree after many players struggled to make it in the USHL and then put up arcade type numbers in the BCHL. I think the move would challenge him much more

the new nhl seems to be forgiving on the level of play when drafting
seeing more players drafted from weaker leagues
so i dont think it will be held against newhook
the danger is if the team shits the bed and he produces less, that coukd impact his stock big time seeing his older linemates where carrying the play for him

knife cuts both ways

Reactions: Acadien86

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Going into this season, I would've thought he had the skill-set to challenge for 1OA, but I just can't see a player out of the BCHL being drafted 1OA, especially considering he's not going to play at the WJC20.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Going into this season, I would've thought he had the skill-set to challenge for 1OA, but I just can't see a player out of the BCHL being drafted 1OA, especially considering he's not going to play at the WJC20.

not a chance especially with level of BCHL and J Hughes is runnaway 1OA unless massive meltdown

need to see him at college level
not level which ia below CHL

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I don't think he's on Hughes level. I have Hughes in the Matthews, Eichel kind of tier. Newhook is just a notch below IMO.
The league a player plays in shouldn't affect how you view their skill level. Turris was able to go 3rd overall, though in a draft that wasn't as strong overall IMO. He played on a pretty strong team but I imagine that the Grizzlies will build a contender around Newhook this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think he's on Hughes level. I have Hughes in the Matthews, Eichel kind of tier. Newhook is just a notch below IMO.
The league a player plays in shouldn't affect how you view their skill level. Turris was able to go 3rd overall, though in a draft that wasn't as strong overall IMO. He played on a pretty strong team but I imagine that the Grizzlies will build a contender around Newhook this year.

He's a center, Hughes is a winger, so I think with a good season if Newhook was projecting towards having a decent chance to be a 1C, I would pick him over Hughes. But we aren't going to find this out with him playing in the BCHL. I think his ceiling in this draft is around where Turris went.

I agree that the league a player is in shouldn't affect how you view their skill level, but when its for 1OA or even 2OA, 3OA, 4OA, it might.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's a center, Hughes is a winger, so I think with a good season if Newhook was projecting towards having a decent chance to be a 1C, I would pick him over Hughes. But we aren't going to find this out with him playing in the BCHL. I think his ceiling in this draft is around where Turris went.

I agree that the league a player is in shouldn't affect how you view their skill level, but when its for 1OA or even 2OA, 3OA, 4OA, it might.

Hughes plays center actually. He doesn't play wing, hasn't for a long time.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

The league definitely plays a big factor for first overall. There will never be a first overall pick from a junior A league because you dont know if they are dominating because the competition sucks or they are that good. If Turris dominated college he would have went first overall instead of third.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The league definitely plays a big factor for first overall. There will never be a first overall pick from a junior A league because you dont know if they are dominating because the competition sucks or they are that good. If Turris dominated college he would have went first overall instead of third.

Let's be real he wasn't going to dominate college and beat out Patrick Kane for 1st overall. He put up 121 points in his draft year, good enough for 2nd in points and 1st in goals in the BCHL. Good scouts can see talent no matter where it is. Most publications had him in the top 5 and many had him in the top 3 by the end of the year. Staying in the BCHL wasn't a detriment to his development in any way.
I don't think even in College that Newhook would be a serious contender to beat out Hughes for 1st overall. It's unlikely such a large jump at this point in time will yield him putting up massive numbers. For the teams that place a lot of emphasis on production it may even hurt his rankings. If he puts up respectable numbers in the BCHL and preforms well at the Hlinka and U18's he will earn his ranking.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Let's be real he wasn't going to dominate college and beat out Patrick Kane for 1st overall. He put up 121 points in his draft year, good enough for 2nd in points and 1st in goals in the BCHL. Good scouts can see talent no matter where it is. Most publications had him in the top 5 and many had him in the top 3 by the end of the year. Staying in the BCHL wasn't a detriment to his development in any way.
I don't think even in College that Newhook would be a serious contender to beat out Hughes for 1st overall. It's unlikely such a large jump at this point in time will yield him putting up massive numbers. For the teams that place a lot of emphasis on production it may even hurt his rankings. If he puts up respectable numbers in the BCHL and preforms well at the Hlinka and U18's he will earn his ranking.

Patrick Kane wasnt even the consensus #1 pick that year. Thats a misconception people have haha. Turris was actually the #1 ranked prospect from central scouting, but the Hawks didnt take him because he played in the BCHL and it was way too risky to project his career. Kane was mainly ranked first, but it wasnt like Mcdavid going first.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Patrick Kane wasnt even the consensus #1 pick that year. Thats a misconception people have haha. Turris was actually the #1 ranked prospect from central scouting, but the Hawks didnt take him because he played in the BCHL and it was way too risky to project his career. Kane was mainly ranked first, but it wasnt like Mcdavid going first.

Central Scouting is the only place that had Turris as #1 in North America.

ISS had Kane at #1 - Kane No. 1 in ISS final draft rankings – London Knights
ESPN had Kane #1 - http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2791312
Hockey's Future had Kane #1 - 2007 Hockey's Future staff mock draft - Hockey's Future
Hockey News had Kane #1 - 2007 NHL entry draft should contain more than a few moves and surprises
Hockey Prospector had Kane #1 - 2007 NHL Draft - THP Rankings - The Hockey Prospector

Virtually everyone outside of Central Scouting Bureau had Kane #1. And any team that follows the CSB rankings should have their heads examined. Chicago didn't take Kane because they were gun shy on Turris.

“Due diligence had to be done but Kane was already at the top of our list,” said Mark Kelley, then a scout and now the Hawks scouting director. “Before the phone call came we were trying to get comfortable with five players: van Riemsdyk, Turris, Kane, Voracek and Alzner. As soon as we won the lottery we knew who we would be taking.”

It was a done deal the moment they knew they had the 1st overall pick. Kane was a consensus #1 pick to likely every single team. The only time they would have entertained drafting Turris is if they were to hold onto their 5th overall pick. Central Scouting is a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Is it safe to say that he is the most talented prospect to come from Newfoundland?

I've always wondered how people rank NL born players. In terms of hype for the future I think you go Alex first followed by Evan Fitzpatrick.

He has the potential to be the greatest NHL Newfie, but that's not saying much considering Ryane Clowe holds the lead on P/GP at .62 followed by Ryder at .60.

Personally speaking I would have loved to see Dan Ryder make the show. He was twice the player Micheal was.

Reactions: grentthealien

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Cool to see another Newfoundlander on here. Dan Ryder had potential, but a very tumultuous personal life that held him back if I recall correctly. As someone mentioned Terry Ryan was quite hyped as well and if I recall correctly Dan Cleary had a ton of hype a few years before his draft year, but he had one flaw that caused him to fall to the 13th spot in the 1997 draft. For the life of me though I can’t remember what it was. That full draft is on YouTube so I might have to rewatch it.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Cool to see another Newfoundlander on here. Dan Ryder had potential, but a very tumultuous personal life that held him back if I recall correctly. As someone mentioned Terry Ryan was quite hyped as well and if I recall correctly Dan Cleary had a ton of hype a few years before his draft year, but he had one flaw that caused him to fall to the 13th spot in the 1997 draft. For the life of me though I can’t remember what it was. That full draft is on YouTube so I might have to rewatch it.

Was it skating? I feel like they felt he wasn't the greatest skater.

You should look into Terry's book about his draft. Quite funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->