C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's certainly impressed me so far in the U18s. I admittedly haven't watched as much of Canada in the tournament so far because with the USA having so many great players its hard not to watch them.

But from the game + a couple periods I watched he has looked good. Better than I expected. I was high on him to begin this season but thought his BCHL numbers stagnating like they did weren't a great sign and I have some skating concerns for him in the NHL, similar to Jost actually.

But he's been one of Canadas best players at this tournament from what I've seen and leading the team in points as well. I think he probably climbs back into the top half of the first round for me now and I could definitely see a team in that ~10th overall range taking him if they were dead set on a Center and miss out on the elite ones at the top of the draft.

Depedning on the direction the Avs go at #4, I certainly would be happy to get Newhook at #16 if we go with Byram or a Winger with our 1st pick.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
He's certainly impressed me so far in the U18s. I admittedly haven't watched as much of Canada in the tournament so far because with the USA having so many great players its hard not to watch them.

But from the game + a couple periods I watched he has looked good. Better than I expected. I was high on him to begin this season but thought his BCHL numbers stagnating like they did weren't a great sign and I have some skating concerns for him in the NHL, similar to Jost actually.

But he's been one of Canadas best players at this tournament from what I've seen and leading the team in points as well. I think he probably climbs back into the top half of the first round for me now and I could definitely see a team in that ~10th overall range taking him if they were dead set on a Center and miss out on the elite ones at the top of the draft.

Depedning on the direction the Avs go at #4, I certainly would be happy to get Newhook at #16 if we go with Byram or a Winger with our 1st pick.

certainly could make a case for a mckinnon type ( light)

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

What is it about Newhook's skating your concerned with? Choppy stride?

I've thought he's pretty quick with his first step & has demonstrated nice edgework.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

In what way did his numbers stagnate he went from 66 pts to 102 pts. In just 8 extra games

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Today we’re seeing some of Newhook’s flaws. Trying to force things, trying to do things himself and not using his teammates effectively.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Today we’re seeing some of Newhook’s flaws. Trying to force things, trying to do things himself and not using his teammates effectively.
The whole Canadian team seems sloppy today. Its not the best game for Newhook however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad