C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
And here I was hoping he'd have an outside shot at making the WJC team in December. Guess that's not happening.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Holloway made the team as a forward, he had 0 points in the 3 games (I know points aren't everything) after putting up 27 points in 28 games in the AJHL (Compared to 66 points in 45 games for Newhook in the BCHL).

McBain made it last year without being near the player

Strange omission for sure, especially looking at the roster, but we see it every year with omissions. Cody Glass, Logan Brown, etc. I mean, Canada took 3 forwards last year who never even ended up getting drafted.

Newhook is going to light up the BCHL this year, will be a treat to watch.
There's some speculation that Hockey Canada people from Quebec/Maritimes may have influenced it. Not happy about a kid leaving their area first for Ontario prep, and then for the BCHL. Although, this is just speculation. It could just be regular incompetence with no ulterior motives. It is not like Hockey Canada hasn't made similar incompetent moves in the past that had nothing to do with politics.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
There's some speculation that Hockey Canada people from Quebec/Maritimes may have influenced it. Not happy about a kid leaving their area first for Ontario prep, and then for the BCHL. Although, this is just speculation. It could just be regular incompetence with no ulterior motives. It is not like Hockey Canada hasn't made similar incompetent moves in the past that had nothing to do with politics.
Newhook is not from Quebec or the maritimes

Reactions: Help

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Newhook is not from Quebec or the maritimes
Last I checked Newfoundland was in the maritimes. Born there played minor hockey there ... pretty much from there

Edit: I am wrong ..I have been corrected. Nfld is not part of the maritimes... HF proves educational once again

Last edited:
Reactions: luki here

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Last I checked Newfoundland was in the maritimes. Born there played minor hockey there ... pretty much from there

Nope we’re not part of the Maritimes. We’re part of Atlantic Canada but not the Maritimes.
Off - ice character issues
He’s a tremendous kid. If something negative off ice happened during the camp it’s completely out of character for him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nope we’re not part of the Maritimes. We’re part of Atlantic Canada but not the Maritimes.

He’s a tremendous kid. If something negative off ice happened during the camp it’s completely out of character for him.

oops my bad .. I thought it was considered part of the maritimes

Reactions: luki here

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The best NFLD prospect of all time dare I say?

I think its been mentioned but Daniel Ryder had a tonne of hype. But he was an idiot, got caught robbing a variety store. Cleary was hyped and went 13th overall but his work ethic was questioned I believe in Belleville so he fell a bit. One that always gets forgotten about is Luke Adam. He wasnt super hyped coming up but was a mid second rounder that took off after his draft. He made team Canada and had a really good tourney. 3rd in goals and 4th in points on a stacked team.

Gotta think Newhook is the most hyped for sure though

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's always this way for guys born in NFLD and the maritimes. There is a high representation of guys from there on this board, and these guys get overrated due to being from there. A large number of guys.

This isn't the case with Alex (or Budgell who is criminally overlooked, or Mercer who is overlooked). He's been the best among guys his age in both Ontario in midget as well as the entire CJHL. He's a special talent.

Newhook is undoubtedly worthy of the praise he's getting, and in all likelihood will be ~10th pick in the draft.

Budgell isn't getting any hype, and I'd be surprised if he's not ~20 on some lists by the end of the season. Mercer should be a top 60 guy in 2020. This is the one time in recent memory that I can remember guys from NFLD not getting overrated, both in province as well as nationally.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's always this way for guys born in NFLD and the maritimes. There is a high representation of guys from there on this board, and these guys get overrated due to being from there. A large number of guys.

This isn't the case with Alex (or Budgell who is criminally overlooked, or Mercer who is overlooked). He's been the best among guys his age in both Ontario in midget as well as the entire CJHL. He's a special talent.

Newhook is undoubtedly worthy of the praise he's getting, and in all likelihood will be ~10th pick in the draft.

Budgell isn't getting any hype, and I'd be surprised if he's not ~20 on some lists by the end of the season. Mercer should be a top 60 guy in 2020. This is the one time in recent memory that I can remember guys from NFLD not getting overrated, both in province as well as nationally.

Not sure who has gotten overrated in the past. Cleary worked out pretty well for a 13th overall, who else has even went high? Luke Adam got some hype but it wasnt going into his draft. It was after a big WJC on a stacked team and then a really hot start to his NHL career.

Guys who have had decently successful careers like Ryder and Clowe were drafted really late. I dont think a Newfie has even been drafted since 2014 now. So not sure who youre talking about

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not sure who has gotten overrated in the past. Cleary worked out pretty well for a 13th overall, who else has even went high? Luke Adam got some hype but it wasnt going into his draft. It was after a big WJC on a stacked team and then a really hot start to his NHL career.

Guys who have had decently successful careers like Ryder and Clowe were drafted really late. I dont think a Newfie has even been drafted since 2014 now. So not sure who youre talking about
Well, we are tallking about 16 year olds, so not sure what retired successful guys , some who were not even hyped up, have to do with anything?

Fitzpatrick was drafted in 2016, and prior to that it was Clark Bishop.

That kind of backs up what I'm saying, the guys who get tons of hype don't live up to it.

I'm talking pre-draft hype, which leads to them being overrated, when guys are 14-16 and playing either AAA in the province, or Junior/Prep away, where all the "Steven Anthony/Ben Duffy/Nathan Noel: Next Big Thing" threads come up. Lots of guys from the Maritimes/NFLD, where good players become overrated due to not playing against the highest competition. Whenever there is a highly rated Q prospect out of NFLD, they get lots of hype both in province and on here. It's the opposite for both Mercer and Budgell because Newhook is taking all the spotlight, both in and out of province.

Bishop - Tons of hype in 10-13
Hynes - Tons of hype in 07-09
Noel - Tons of hype in 12-15
Escott - Tons of hype in 04-05
Ryan - Tons of hype in 09-12
Z.O.B - Literally almost drafted by SJ out of the AAA Leafs program. Lots of hype

All of these guys received tons of hype both in province and on here. Since then, none have lived up to the hype.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Not very high on him.
Obviously I haven’t many chances to watch BCHL streams, so my opinion based on 3 shift-by-shift compilations. And I really hope to be wrong.
He’s not a physical player, and it understandable because of his size. He’s fast, but not as fast as you want from 5’11-player in modern NHL.
His hockey IQ and vision are pretty well, but his pass is not always well. Saw many turnovers from him.
Probably he has a decent shot but he uses not often.
I can’t find BCHL FO% stats, but it seems like he’s really sucks on FO even for BCHL. It’s about how he projects as NHL C.
But his defensive abilities are really good, he can cut the lines, shows nice stick work, forcheck, backcheck.
Definitely he’s a 1st-rounder right now, but when I see him so high in rankings it seems like he’s a product of hype-machine.

Don’t see him as a great point producer on NHL level, probably he should be defensive-first type of player. Sometimes see many from Riley Nash on his game.

But... that’s all based on his D-1 season and things can change

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
will get an insane amount of ice in a league that is sub par the chl and by default rack up points

not the chl and def. not the ncaa
he wont have his linemates carrying him this year

still a good player

should have played in Halifax this year
this will cost him in the ranking
prjection 12-19

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018

I am going to the Grizzley's game tonight. I am excited to see him in his draft year. I saw him twice last season but neither time was he really all that impressive. Last time was his first game back after injury heading into or in the playoffs. (Forget which). I will keep a close eye on him tonight and see if I can get a better feel for him. I live in Vic so I am kind of excited to see him play. Hopefully, he plays well and Vancouver selects him. :) Unlikely but it would be fun.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
In the games I've watched of his, he has not impressed.

He is quick, but even at the BCHL level does not dictate the pace of the game enough when he is on the ice. While Hughes, Turcotte, Kakko and Podkolzin -- the elite players of this draft -- anticipate plays and think ahead of the opposition's next move, Newhook is a very reactive player -- not proactive. As a result, he spends a lot of time away from the puck and doesn't dominate plays. He moves the puck well when he has it due to his great speed and can distribute the puck fairly accurately, but he doesn't drive the offense enough. He doesn't separate the opposition from the puck enough, nor does he put himself in a position to get in their way. Turcotte, Podkolzin, and Kakko actively disrupt their opponents. Newhook isn't the type of player who has the puck on his stick all the time; even at the BCHL level, I've so far only seen a player who one needs to watch patiently for something interesting to happen. I don't place as much value on the types of players who have great wheels but don't touch the puck enough and spend a lot of time chasing. He is more of a speedy opportunist than an active, dominant line driver.

Newhook's influence on the ice seems to contradict his statistical record. I don't think he reads the game as quickly as Group A. I think he would have looked a lot more like Krebs and Dach last year if he had played in the WHL. Krebs is another high-speed player.

Some draft rankings have him in their Top 3 right now, but in my opinion he doesn't belong anywhere near there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->