C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
He is currently leading the ETAMMHL by 8 points despite playing up to 5 games less than other players.
15 GP 25G 14A 39P

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's the best prospect out of Newfoundland in some time. Big, sees the ice extremely well, great skater, great shot. He will be a good one.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's the best prospect out of Newfoundland in some time. Big, sees the ice extremely well, great skater, great shot. He will be a good one.
Interesting, seems to be taking the Colin Greening route (high-end prep school and GTHL) and focusing on college.

I feel Nathen Noel had a lot more hype, but it disappeared over time.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Interesting, seems to be taking the Colin Greening route (high-end prep school and GTHL) and focusing on college.

I feel Nathen Noel had a lot more hype, but it disappeared over time.

Well Greening was home in St. John's playing with the AAA Leafs, then went to and was drafted out of UCC. He never played midget in Ontario.

Noel had a lot of hype that guys out of the Maritimes tend to get on here. They look so good against the guys from that area, and often get overrated. He was still a 4th round pick.

I mean, Maher/Hynes/Bishop/Noel were all top 3 picks in the Q. Bishop being the only pro prospect out of them. I'd have Newhook well above those guys at the same age. He is having an unreal start to the season that would see him a favorite to go very high in the OHL draft if he were eligible. He has decent size as a 15 year old, he should grow another bit in the coming years.

Reactions: wetcoast

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Potential 1st rounder?

I don't know near enough about all the guys to make an informed judgement, not to mention it being 3 years out. He's off to a great start, it will be much easier to make judgement after seeing him in the USHL or Jr. A next year.

Last edited:

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
49 points in 19 games, 30 goals. Damn.

Anyone seen him play, YSE player stats are usually a bit inflated in that league due to the stackedness of their team but this is impressive no matter how you spin it

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Anyone seen him play, YSE player stats are usually a bit inflated in that league due to the stackedness of their team but this is impressive no matter how you spin it

A team in the Q will waste a 2nd rounder on him this year, he's going to be a very good prospect to follow.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

I've watched Newhook quite a bit as I went to the same prep school and get out for games there. YSE's home rink is now at St. Andrew's as well, which is why we're seeing all these college-leaning YSE kids turning around to go there. They're really trying to become Canada's D1 feeder school.

Newhook's a hell of a player with great size at his age too. Probably a top 10 OHL pick if he were eligible Great shot, unbelievable hands, explosive skater, cocky enough to try outlandish things. Pretty much checks all the boxes. Reminds me of Skinner at this age in every single way.

Marshmont63

Jun 22, 2016
The Heights
I know it's really early to do projections for the 2019 draft, but is Newhook a potential first rounder? I cannot wait to see him play at BC.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I know it's really early to do projections for the 2019 draft, but is Newhook a potential first rounder? I cannot wait to see him play at BC.

Trying to project him as an NHL prospect is pretty tough at this point, let alone what round he gets drafted in.

What I can say after watching him play several times is he is incredibly smart, great hands, and has great skating. Started weakly earlier in the season, but has found his game in all areas.

He's not a huge kid height-wise, but he's strong. Overall, a pretty exciting prospect to be sure.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Saw him live a few times last week and feel I have a pretty good feel for his game now. His minutes were sheltered but he showed some great flashes, scoring a couple of very smooth individual effort goals in 2/3 games. Great poise through the neutral zone that had me thinking of a guy we've all seen plenty of recently in Barzal. Committed on the back check and was responsible in his own end playing against much more physically mature players from US prep schools (quite a few '98 and '99 born players in these games, he's an '01).

Will have to shore up the little things...be harder on the puck in traffic, cut down on neutral zone trickery, not watch passes, etc. But those are all easily coached out by professionals at the next level. I can only imagine how smooth he looks against his own age group. Will be fun to watch this guy progress.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Saw him live a few times last week and feel I have a pretty good feel for his game now. His minutes were sheltered but he showed some great flashes, scoring a couple of very smooth individual effort goals in 2/3 games. Great poise through the neutral zone that had me thinking of a guy we've all seen plenty of recently in Barzal. Committed on the back check and was responsible in his own end playing against much more physically mature players from US prep schools (quite a few '98 and '99 born players in these games, he's an '01).

Will have to shore up the little things...be harder on the puck in traffic, cut down on neutral zone trickery, not watch passes, etc. But those are all easily coached out by professionals at the next level. I can only imagine how smooth he looks against his own age group. Will be fun to watch this guy progress.

Did you see him while he was playing games for St. Andrew's?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Yep that's where I have seen him play, but he only does spot duty for them from time to time. Haven't seen him play for YSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->