C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Was also named to the Finnish camp roster for the U17 tournament as an underager.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Sounds like Saarela will make his SM-liiga debut tomorrow against Tappara.

Great, will be fun game to watch with barkov vs saarela.

Any idea who will his linemates be, or will he play center or winger?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Sounds like Saarela will make his SM-liiga debut tomorrow against Tappara.

Incredible. Even ridiculous. The kid is barely 15 (??) and U20 games are more than enough for him now. This kind of treatment won't do any good. And he is not that special player to begin with. But if he is mature beyond his age well, let the kid play - but stupid this is anyway.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Incredible. Even ridiculous. The kid is barely 15 (??) and U20 games are more than enough for him now. This kind of treatment won't do any good. And he is not that special player to begin with. But if he is mature beyond his age well, let the kid play - but stupid this is anyway.

What? He turned 16 a month ago born 7.1.1997

PhillyPhinn

Aug 5, 2007
Turku, Finland
Good to know we have our next superprospect, so that we have someone to ridiculously hype up even after Granlund, Armia, Barkov and Ristolainen bust in the NHL :sarcasm:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Pretty much agreed. He has enough of competition in A-SM but i would think that it is couple games stint so he knows what it takes to get into FEL.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

its all about records. He will be the youngest player in the history in SM-League. Something similiar we saw paslt friday in Slovakia. Peter Valent as a 15 years and 11 months old boy stoles the record from Marian Gaborik. Is he the new Gaborik? i dont think so. But for media its always a good stroy

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
its all about records. He will be the youngest player in the history in SM-League. Something similiar we saw paslt friday in Slovakia. Peter Valent as a 15 years and 11 months old boy stoles the record from Marian Gaborik. Is he the new Gaborik? i dont think so. But for media its always a good stroy

He won't be the youngest. Joensuu played couple of games as 15 year old. Barkov started his FEL career as a younger player. Saarela doesen't have chance to break up Barkov records as youngest scorer ever and youngest ever having a point. I highly doubt that Saarela makes similar impact as Barkov as 16 year old. I believe it is an couple game stint but you never know. Saarela is an 2015 draftee afterall. No need to rush.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland

I get what you are saying but he's not the youngest and even if media likes these stories they don't make the decision. He's there to help with the flu wave and to get the first taste of SM-Liiga.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He will be playing on the 2nd line RW with Kauvosaari and Ahtola per sm-liiga.fi

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Measures are listed at 178cm (5'10) and 85kg (187lbs) on sm-liiga.fi. Seems like a pretty sturdy build for a 16 year old. Also, he'll be wearing #87, how classless :sarcasm:.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Wow this Saarela kid is good just scored his first goal. His shot is ridiculous. Looks smaller than 5'10

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Was just going to post that the people suggesting that Saarela is another small player with questionable skating is wrong. Kid can skate, showcased his acceleration and lateral movement pretty nicely there. He's still small though, lol. I'm starting to think that this guy could be a real asset to the u-18 team. Too bad he's only 5'10, but then again he has time to grow an inch or three. And what I've heard is he's pretty stocky.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
This is the first time I saw this kid play. And oh boy he was much better than i had ever imagined. Very good shot and fast/smooth skater.

You can almost hear all the scouts that are watching Barkov are writing on their papers:

2015 draft: Aleksi Saarela

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad