C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; 2016 trade, CAR)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Tormentor, Apr 24, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Paul Maurice

Paul Maurice Paul Maurice

Paul Maurice
    Too bad the Canes are going for the cup so they can't call anyone up from the NHL. No time for development.

:sarcasm:

2. Ippenator

Ippenator Registered User

I think he should not be a center really. He is not at all a playmaker, so there is no point in using him in that position. I have never liked pure goal scoring and shooting centers, as they make very difficult for their line to have a good and versatile passing game, as they can’t be the real link between the defenders and the wingers, in the way that the most efficient centers in hockey can be.

The only way how to make a line work somehow ok with the kind of center that Saarela is, would be by having two playmaking wingers that can also grind, with him. But even then I don’t see the line as ideal for very good passing game and involving all the five players on the ice in the plays.

He should definitely be a winger, although he does quite much think of himself as a center. I saw an interview about two years ago where he very much insisted on being a center and being unhappy about his coaches then wanting to play him as a winger mostly.

Peeps likes this.