C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
You've got to admit though that if he really compared Crosby's defensive game to his recent poor outings, the kid has some kind of self-confidence issues. I see you guys talking about either his transfer or his injuries to explain it, and while I don't really follow the finnish circuit that much, the #1 quality a young player has to have in his toolbox in order to get better and make it as far as he can is dedication to the game, and from what I've read, he's looking for reasons to explain his recent performances, not aspects of his game to work on.

Just my two cents!

Yes that's bad for him to comment like that. Im not trying to justify it at all. All I'm saying that for his development he probably should've stayed on his former team. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have these problems to begin with. Or he might.

He went to chase success to his old club (from my club), and the team is failing miserably this year while my team is doing okay. It has happened before when a player from Ässät switched to Lukko that the player doesn't meet the expectations or fails totally. So that was the backstory and why the Philippian probably called me out.:laugh:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
His defensive game is actually excelent when he is on top of his game. His recent slump seems to be more of an attitude issue than anything.

Yep, I have to very much agree about the attitude problem. I watched him play much more last season than this season. But still it is easy to see that especially at the moment he is having an attitude problem. And now when I think of it there was also some a bit similar interviews last season, where this bad attitude came through at least a bit.

He was in fact quite openly criticising his coach Risto Dufva and especially complaining about how Dufva played him more as a winger, when he feels that he is so clearly a center. But hey Pancy-Aleksi, the same happened to you also in the U20 national team. One of the most respected Finnish coaches, Jukka Jalonen, also rather put him to play as a winger. And Saarela played well in the championship winning team as a winger. I have to say also that I myself started already thinking quite early last season, that he should not be a center. He is too much a shoot first player and his defensive play is quite questionable. His playing style and abilities just don't convince me at all about him being anything else than a winger. And even as a winger he has to seriously start doing something about his defensive play.

He really seems to concentrate more in whining and giving all kinds of explanations for his bad playing, rather than just suck it up and concentrate in making himself develop in the areas where he has been criticised. But every coach seems to be wrong about him in his opinion.

These are are seriously alarming signs in a young player, and I have to say that because of this stuff I have pretty much lost the hope that he could ever become a truly great player. I very much doubt that he will become an NHL player at all. But if it would after all still happen at some point, it will take probably several seasons for there to be any chances for it to happen. And in that case there has to happen a complete change in his attitude.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I watched him play a lot last season. Haven't watched him at all this season because there's no reason to, so I couldn't comment on what's happening this season, but he was very good defensively for a player his age last season. Good on FO's, knew his defensive responsibilities, took some tough zone starts. He wasn't an offense only player, and while he did score a lot of goals, I thought his playmaking abilities were underrated. He's not a shoot-only player. Shoot-first, but not shoot-only.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
When will people realize he just isn't as good as they thought he'd be? Very average Liiga player with a limited skillset, hard shot and a fast skater. Poor IQ and soft along the boards. Never going to be an NHLer.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yep, I have to very much agree about the attitude problem. I watched him play much more last season than this season. But still it is easy to see that especially at the moment he is having an attitude problem. And now when I think of it there was also some a bit similar interviews last season, where this bad attitude came through at least a bit.

He was in fact quite openly criticising his coach Risto Dufva and especially complaining about how Dufva played him more as a winger, when he feels that he is so clearly a center. But hey Pancy-Aleksi, the same happened to you also in the U20 national team. One of the most respected Finnish coaches, Jukka Jalonen, also rather put him to play as a winger. And Saarela played well in the championship winning team as a winger. I have to say also that I myself started already thinking quite early last season, that he should not be a center. He is too much a shoot first player and his defensive play is quite questionable. His playing style and abilities just don't convince me at all about him being anything else than a winger. And even as a winger he has to seriously start doing something about his defensive play.

He really seems to concentrate more in whining and giving all kinds of explanations for his bad playing, rather than just suck it up and concentrate in making himself develop in the areas where he has been criticised. But every coach seems to be wrong about him in his opinion.

These are are seriously alarming signs in a young player, and I have to say that because of this stuff I have pretty much lost the hope that he could ever become a truly great player. I very much doubt that he will become an NHL player at all. But if it would after all still happen at some point, it will take probably several seasons for there to be any chances for it to happen. And in that case there has to happen a complete change in his attitude.

Dufva is coaching Jukurit, not Lukko.

He's really proving his dad's comments about his younger brother Antti being equally/more talented but with less of an attitude ("vähemmän leiju") to be correct.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
When will people realize he just isn't as good as they thought he'd be? Very average Liiga player with a limited skillset, hard shot and a fast skater. Good IQ and okay along the boards. Never going to be an NHLer.

I helped you a little bit.

He has the tools.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
I helped you a little bit.

He has the tools.

You're wrong and my post was about people and posts just like this. And when he fails to have the career he was projected to have, people will point To his attitude and bad coaching etc. Truth is he just doesn't have the talent and character that's required.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Dufva is coaching Jukurit, not Lukko.

He's really proving his dad's comments about his younger brother Antti being equally/more talented but with less of an attitude ("vähemmän leiju") to be correct.

I meant that last season when he was in Ässät, he was in an interview criticising Dufva for making him play as winger instead of center. He went then just for last season in exile to Ässät, and returned again to Lukko this season, as Dufva had gone to Jukurit, as you also mentioned.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Kid seems to be adjusting to the AHL quite nicely. 3G 2A in 3 games in the AHL.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Nice, thanks.

I always thought Saarela's game could fit well to the NA style and you can see some of that in his goals. He's got good speed and isn't afraid to finish plays.

I still think he looks like Gallagher a bit. Size and style of game reminds me a lot of him. I don't know how a whole lot about how he's looked in Finland, but i could definitely see him as that speedy, tenacious on the forecheck, and 40-50 point potential forward. From what i recall in the WJC's he was kinda like that.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Nice, thanks.

I always thought Saarela's game could fit well to the NA style and you can see some of that in his goals. He's got good speed and isn't afraid to finish plays.

I still think he looks like Gallagher a bit. Size and style of game reminds me a lot of him. I don't know how a whole lot about how he's looked in Finland, but i could definitely see him as that speedy, tenacious on the forecheck, and 40-50 point potential forward. From what i recall in the WJC's he was kinda like that.

Saarela was great with Ässät. He struggled a bit at first but after WJC's he got it going. He has a very good shot.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
NHL's run and gun play probably fits Saarela better than Liiga's slow grinding game.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Every Finnish prospect I have doubted here have started playing much better and more promisingly soon after my comments. Well Granlund took some time but Barkov and Laine didn't :D Expect Saarela to keep going above ppg all of his AHL career because I doubted him:sarcasm:

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Every Finnish prospect I have doubted here have started playing much better and more promisingly soon after my comments. Well Granlund took some time but Barkov and Laine didn't :D Expect Saarela to keep going above ppg all of his AHL career because I doubted him:sarcasm:

Just keep on doubting them all

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He always striked me as a player who will get most out of his skillset in NA, so at least for me it's not really surprising to see him succeed nicely so far.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Another goal for him tonight. 4 goals 2 assists in 4 games in the AHL.

Any AHL fans here to comment on if that's a good start or just the level of AHL being lower than ever before.

At least Pulkkinen was lighting up the A but never has been able to translate his game to the NHL. I'm starting to wonder if AHL is actually below FEL, possibly somewhere between NLA and FEL in league quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad