C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Who supposed this and why? Why would you suppose he's better than Kakko or Tolvanen?

I think Jokiharju was clearly the best player on the team, and that was known well before the tournament when he more than held his own at the NHL level.
Tolvanen just isn’t good at this tournament. I’m not shocked he was another no show. He’s extremely overrated as of now. I still think he can be a great player but he’s got work. 17 year olds jsut rarely dominate this tournament. I fully expected hepo to have better numbers than Kakko.

Reactions: theVladiator

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Tolvanen just isn’t good at this tournament. I’m not shocked he was another no show. He’s extremely overrated as of now. I still think he can be a great player but he’s got work. 17 year olds jsut rarely dominate this tournament. I fully expected hepo to have better numbers than Kakko.

I agree, Tolvanen was not very effective. I lost count of how many times he would just take off skating with the puck around the boards and either lose it, or manage to skate a full circle around the zone and then lose it. I did entertain the possibility that Kakko/Lundell looked less dominant in the playoff stage, and Heponiemi/Kupari took off because Tolvanen was moved to Kakko/Lundell line at that time. Nevertheless, Tolvanen is still a good prospect, even if not without warts. Reminds me a bit of early Alex Steen.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I didn't say Kakko "will be" better than Heponiemi. He is already better than Heponiemi as it is. There is no reason to expect Heponiemi to make more of an impact at the WJC when Kakko is the better player as of January 2019.

And even if you're willing to argue that Heponiemi is currently slightly better, are you willing to argue that he's also better when he's already been on the ice with Kupari for 40 seconds and is somewhat gassed? Do you think having a tired Heponiemi on the ice instead of a fresh Kakko is a good strategy? If he was eating up the ice-time of a 4th line scrub like Vainionpää or Engberg, that would make a lot more sense, but in reality he was eating up the ice-time of the best forward on the team.

As someone who loved to watch Raipe play I liked it that the play-by-play man on Finnish TV kept referring to Raipe throughout the tournament when talking about Heponiemi's saucer passes. He also said that Raipe might have had an influence on the way Heponiemi plays. I wonder if that's really true. He was only 9 years old when Helminen retired. How much can he remember.

Finally another person who actually watched these games. This sums up what I had been arguing for all along and just look at the sh*t-storm that it caused. The management really messed up royally and yet we still made it past the finish line. Though barely, but counts all the same.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
17 year olds jsut rarely dominate this tournament. I fully expected hepo to have better numbers than Kakko.

How often do players who were drafted after the 1st round and are very weak physically dominate this tournament? The last Finnish #2 draft pick was pretty good at his one and only WJC.

I don't want to bash Heponiemi cause as someone who was born and raised in Tampere and who loves beautiful saucer passes I'd love to see a bonafide NHL skater come from a Tampere-based club. I think Jyrki Lumme was the last one. But he has a lot of bulking up to do before we can even begin to dream of that. As of right now Kakko and Tolvanen are closer to NHL level. People who don't understand the meaning of small sample sizes are putting way too much emphasis on the fact that Tolvanen didn't bury any of the dozens of shots he took in the tournament. As Lauri Markkanen put it, "shooters shoot", and if he keeps doing it, they'll start going in at some point. If not in the NHL, then in some lesser league. He's already scored a few in the KHL where the level of competition is easily higher than at the WJC.

Right now Heponiemi reminds me a little bit of Henrik Haapala who was highly touted by Tappara fans when I tried to tell them in the summer of 2017 that no way is a weakling like that who got pushed around like a ragdoll in the FEL playoffs gonna be useful in the NHL.

Last edited:

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019
How often do players who were drafted after the 1st round and are very weak physically dominate this tournament? The last Finnish #2 draft pick was pretty good at his one and only WJC.

I don't want to bash Heponiemi cause as someone who was born and raised in Tampere and who loves beautiful saucer passes I'd love to see a bonafide NHL skater come from a Tampere-based club. I think Jyrki Lumme was the last one. But he has a lot of bulking up to do before we can even begin to dream of that. As of right now Kakko and Tolvanen are closer to NHL level. People who don't understand the meaning of small sample sizes are placing way too much emphasis on the fact that Tolvanen didn't bury any of the dozens of shots he took in the tournament. As Lauri Markkanen put it, "shooters shoot", and if he keeps doing it, they'll start going in at some point.

Right now Heponiemi reminds a little bit of Henrik Haapala who was highly touted by Tappara fans when I tried to tell them in the summer of 2017 that no way is a weakling like that who got pushed around like a ragdoll in the FEL playoffs gonna be useful in the NHL.
Its not even about being weak, it's about the fact that he does not compensate his size with great skating.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kakko is not the better player.

Kakko: 20 points in 27 Liiga games. 5 points in 7 WJC games.
Heponiemi: 26 points in 29 Liiga games. 9 points in 7 WJC games.

Kakko will probably be the better NHL player, but he's not yet better than Heponiemi.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland

Kakko will probably be the better NHL player, but he's not yet better than Heponiemi.

Did you watch those WJC games instead of just looking at the stats? Playing 5 minutes more per game might skew those totals a little bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koijari

Ibumax

Jan 6, 2019

Oh, a bit like Laine & Aho were not better than the players who had more points than them in Liiga?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

I remember getting to a pretty heated argument with that particular guy last spring after the U18 WJHC where I said Kakko was going to be top 2 pick and he not only disagreed, but argued that Turcotte was a superior prospect. For the reference, Kakko scored 10 points in that tournament and Turcotte 5 points. I think I saw a list where he still had Kakko behind. Not that varying opinions are bad or anything, but as far as this one goes, I would take it with grain of salt.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I remember getting to a pretty heated argument with that particular guy last spring after the U18 WJHC where I said Kakko was going to be top 2 pick and he not only disagreed, but argued that Turcotte was a superior prospect. For the reference, Kakko scored 10 points in that tournament and Turcotte 5 points. I think I saw a list where he still had Kakko behind. Not that varying opinions are bad or anything, but as far as this one goes, I would take it with grain of salt.
So by your logic the better player is who scores more points in a tournament without any context to the points? Why doesn't it work like that with Kakko and Heponiemi?

Reactions: thebus88

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So by your logic the better player is who scores more points in a tournament without any context to the points? Why doesn't it work like that with Kakko and Heponiemi?

Nope. Kakko was our most dynamic forward in that tournament, in the gold medal team and scored the most points along the way. In this year's WJC Heponiemi scored the most points by averaging ~4-5 mins more ice time/game than Kakko for instance and yet still wasn't even as good on the ice in my opinion. Probably also why he didn't make it to All-Star line up despite of playing in the winning team.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Nope. Kakko was our most dynamic forward in that tournament, in the gold medal team and scored the most points along the way. In this year's WJC Heponiemi scored the most points by averaging ~4-5 mins more ice time/game than Kakko for instance and yet still wasn't even as good on the ice in my opinion. Probably also why he didn't make it to All-Star line up despite of playing in the winning team.
So you were not even watching Turcotte.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So you were not even watching Turcotte.

No I did, not all the games but a couple. I do tend to try watch both WJHC and WJC quite extensively cause I don't have the time nor the luxury of seeing NA'n jr leagues so it's the only place to watch prospects playing outside of Europe. If you are referring to him not having similar role like Kakko in the team, yeah I agree. Nonetheless I still considered Kakko's viewings better eventhough I had more extensive looks at him than Turcotte.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
About 5 full pages already about the same thing...<sigh>

Saturday game against Lukko can't come any sooner
- but...i bet Hepo haters will find something to criticize about even tomorrow :)

I presume Saturday is their (Heponiemi&Kupari) first game since WJC

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can someone explain why Kakko is currently better than Heponiemi? All I see is some rabid Finn's attacking me for pointing out what appears to be a very sensible take. I've yet to see an actual argument put forth what makes Kakko currently a better player than Heponiemi.

Its just a forum for fans to discuss hockey. You don't need to protect Kakko from opinions that might not have him as the greatest hockey player ever. If some here think he's not better yet than Heponiemi, it doesn't mean he'll be drafted lower in the draft. Podkolzin won't be drafted lower because he's worse than Kravtsov. Broberg won't be drafted lower because he's worse than Brannstrom.

How dare I not think all Finn's are always the best players! That makes my opinion invalid!

The irony is hilarious. Have you exhibited any impartiality? Are non-Finn's ever better than Finn's? Some of you seem to only care about the Finn's and have no interest in the rest of the players. Thats allowed, of course, but you shouldn't try to then criticize someone's opinion as lacking validity. Its complete hypocrisy.

You are also stepping on your own point. So you are trying to make the point that Kakko's minutes were second line minutes at the recent WJC instead of first line minutes and that should factor into an assessment about whether he's better than Heponeimi, but you want to try to make a comparison based on one player playing first line minutes at a tournament and another playing fourth line minutes.

Reactions: jvr32

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
How dare I not think all Finn's are always the best players! That makes my opinion invalid!

The irony is hilarious. Have you exhibited any impartiality? Are non-Finn's ever better than Finn's? Some of you seem to only care about the Finn's and have no interest in the rest of the players. Thats allowed, of course, but you shouldn't try to then criticize someone's opinion as lacking validity. Its complete hypocrisy.

You are also stepping on your own point. So you are trying to make the point that Kakko's minutes were second line minutes at the recent WJC instead of first line minutes and that should factor into an assessment about whether he's better than Heponeimi, but you want to try to make a comparison based on one player playing first line minutes at a tournament and another playing fourth line minutes.

Erm, this discussion started with your evaluation of Heponiemi currently being the better player than Kakko, which I (also) don't think is even correct assessment. The few things Hepo has over Kakko at the time being are that he's acceleration and perhaps his top speed could be slightly better. I also think he has an equal or better shot. Now as for your take, throwing some favourable numbers on the table to back up an argument just doesn't quite cut it. Heponiemi has played the most part of the season with Kupari and Pyörälä while Kakko's most regular line mates were Filppula and Wirtanen. While Filppula is an elite player at this level, Wirtanen is mostly defensive center that doesn't produce much. Compared to Kupari and Pyörälä, the former pair pales in my opinion as far as offensive talent goes. Today a large proportion of points come from the powerplay in FEL and Kakko wasn't utilized in a way that would benefit his production (by using him on the walls and working as a playmaker which is where he most excels). So even though he got plenty of PP time, he was oftentimes used as a net front presence which is pretty much the least suitable position for a player like him. Just only recently he's been moved to the right wall on the PP where he's strengths are, on the second PP unit. So in the end, this take to present production to prove a point only shows your lack of understanding the game dynamics in the Finnish league, which then reflects to inaccurate player evaluations.

You throwing some Finnish bias at me? Are you frigging kidding me? Have you even followed the conversation here? I've been practically stabbed from left to right in this very topic for criticizing and calling out Heponiemi's actions in the WJCs. I did the exact same thing especially with Kapanen and Kuokkanen (and who knows how many others) Finnish prospects who failed to meet up with their expectations not only at the WJC, but elsewhere as well. Out of all the prospects out there it's the Finns that I dispraise/fault the most and this is due to trying to evaluate them from extremely cautious point of view just in order to keep as objective as possible. Sure it works both ways since after all I'm a Finn so following my country's progress is something I enjoy and just to illustrate the few prospects I've "hyped", given high praises or generally had high expectations from and who didn't turn out the way I was hoping for are Teräväinen, Saarela and Puljujärvi (to some extent) and that's about it. None of this excludes tracking, keeping an eye on and respecting the top talent grown elsewhere in the Europe or in the NA.

Your last statement makes the least sense out of all. I never once claimed ice time was a factor in the "which one of the two is the better". Where the heck did you even come up with that? The only thing I've said (or rather condemned) was Heponiemi hijacking several minutes from the pocket of one of the best, if not the best forward in the team (pretty much word to word). None of which had anything whatsoever to do with comparing them as players. Don't know if you misread something or if you were just making some assumptions, but either way.

As for Turcotte, yeah I even said he didn't have an equal role as Kakko last spring and that I had taken this into account. I'm not sure if you had Turcotte #1 ahead of even Hughes at the time (or today), but I remember you had Kakko was it sixth or seventh(?) best 2019 draftee the last time we argued about this. You'll be seeing over time how flawed assessment that was. Less than a year has passed since, so please tell me, which one of us seems to have the more correct prediction right now should we reflect our ~3/4 year old predictions to rankings based on the scouting services today? It's fine to disagree on prospects but later on you even tried to brand me as some super homer in some other thread (without mentioning the username but I knew who you were talking about) for no better reason than having this much faith in Kakko even back then and not holding back to bring it up. Oh well, time will prove how badly you've misjudged him, trust me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Erm, this discussion started with your evaluation of Heponiemi currently being the better player than Kakko, which I (also) don't think is even correct assessment. The few things Hepo has over Kakko at the time being are that he's acceleration and perhaps his top speed could be slightly better. I also think he has an equal or better shot. Now as for your take, throwing some favourable numbers on the table to back up an argument just doesn't quite cut it. Heponiemi has played the most part of the season with Kupari and Pyörälä while Kakko's most regular line mates were Filppula and Wirtanen. While Filppula is an elite player at this level, Wirtanen is mostly defensive center that doesn't produce much. Compared to Kupari and Pyörälä, the former pair pales in my opinion as far as offensive talent goes. Today a large proportion of points come from the powerplay in FEL and Kakko wasn't utilized in a way that would benefit his production (by using him on the walls and working as a playmaker which is where he most excels). So even though he got plenty of PP time, he was oftentimes used as a net front presence which is pretty much the least suitable position for a player like him. Just only recently he's been moved to the right wall on the PP where he's strengths are, on the second PP unit. So in the end, this take to present production to prove a point only shows your lack of understanding the game dynamics in the Finnish league, which then reflects to inaccurate player evaluations.

Now we finally have an explanation of why Kakko is the better player right now. Not my opinion, but you explained it, at least. You understand the Finnish league dynamics better than I do. No argument there. I don't think that makes my opinion invalid though. I think the majority of people who make assessments on these prospects aren't close followers of every league where these prospects play.

You throwing some Finnish bias at me? Are you frigging kidding me? Have you even followed the conversation here? I've been practically stabbed from left to right in this very topic for criticizing and calling out Heponiemi's actions in the WJCs. I did the exact same thing especially with Kapanen and Kuokkanen (and who knows how many others) Finnish prospects who failed to meet up with their expectations not only at the WJC, but elsewhere as well. Out of all the prospects out there it's the Finns that I dispraise/fault the most and this is due to trying to evaluate them from extremely cautious point of view just in order to keep as objective as possible. Sure it works both ways since after all I'm a Finn so following my country's progress is something I enjoy and just to illustrate the few prospects I've "hyped", given high praises or generally had high expectations from and who didn't turn out the way I was hoping for are Teräväinen, Saarela and Puljujärvi (to some extent) and that's about it. None of this excludes tracking, keeping an eye on and respecting the top talent grown elsewhere in the Europe or in the NA.

You made an argument for me that I was about to make.

You, and some other Finn's, opine almost entirely on Finnish players, so of course you'll have some pro and anti opinions on Finnish players, unless you only have pro opinions or only have anti opinions. I don't exactly think that proves anything in a comparison between a Finnish player and a non-Finnish player.

Your last statement makes the least sense out of all. I never once claimed ice time was a factor in the "which one of the two is the better". Where the heck did you even come up with that? The only thing I've said (or rather condemned) was Heponiemi hijacking several minutes from the pocket of one of the best, if not the best forward in the team (pretty much word to word). None of which had anything whatsoever to do with comparing them as players. Don't know if you misread something or if you were just making some assumptions, but either way.

As for Turcotte, yeah I even said he didn't have an equal role as Kakko last spring and that I had taken this into account. I'm not sure if you had Turcotte #1 ahead of even Hughes at the time (or today), but I remember you had Kakko was it sixth or seventh(?) best 2019 draftee the last time we argued about this. You'll be seeing over time how flawed assessment that was. Less than a year has passed since, so please tell me, which one of us seems to have the more correct prediction right now should we reflect our ~3/4 year old predictions to rankings based on the scouting services today? It's fine to disagree on prospects but later on you even tried to brand me as some super homer in some other thread (without mentioning the username but I knew who you were talking about) for no better reason than having this much faith in Kakko even back then and not holding back to bring it up. Oh well, time will prove how badly you've misjudged him, trust me.

You've insinuated that you were upset with Kakko's ice-time during the tournament, and others have said that ice-time is a factor in discussing a comparison between Heponiemi and Kakko. Maybe that isn't an argument you'd make though. If so, why discuss it further?

No, I remember that discussion exactly. I never branded you as a super-homer without responding to your post or tagging you. If I did, please provide a link to where I did that. I've had Turcotte #1 for most of this season and parts of last season. I briefly had Cozens #1, which reflects how close this draft is. I think there's very little separation within the top 10 because I don't believe there are any elite prospects in this draft.

Given that situation within this draft, I think you then have to look at positional considerations. Kakko is a winger. Hughes plays center, but I think he projects much better as a winger in the NHL. I think Kakko's the more likely of the two to play center in the NHL, but neither will likely play center in the NHL. Therefore, I have both players behind Turcotte and Cozens who I believe to be pretty equal talents who will stick in the center of the ice.

Since I know some of you care so much about this stuff, I have Hughes third and Kakko fourth. If Kakko plays more as a center in the upcoming months and plays well there, leading to more discussions about whether he'll play center, I think he could compete for first on my list. Dach is the other player who could compete for first. As I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear, I don't see Hughes as being a 1OA candidate on my list, unless we see a downturn in what the centers show in upcoming months. I don't believe there's enough value in his full game to justify being the first overall pick, although he might score the most points in the NHL from this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->