C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Scoring is the most important thing and also predicts success very well. It's the most important thing when determining possible NHL success, the second-most important thing is skating(Which Petan btw lacks).

Scoring is important but it silly to suggest thats the only thing you should look for when determining success. Their is a long list of prolific junior scorers who could also skate that never made a thing for themselves at the NHL level.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Scoring is important but it silly to suggest thats the only thing you should look for when determining success. Their is a long list of prolific junior scorers who could also skate that never made a thing for themselves at the NHL level.
But is that list longer than the list of skaters who got drafted because they were big despite having bad scoring and never amounted to anything? Indeed, my point.

You'll never have perfect odds, the point is to have high odds. Which production + skating consideration allows one to do pretty well. I wouldn't be shocked at all if simply judging players by scoring + skating(with slight consideration if they're undersized) outperformed most NHL GMs in drafting. There are so many steals that system gets, like Debrincat as mentioned, Gostisbehere, PK Subban etc.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
But is that list longer than the list of skaters who got drafted because they were big despite having bad scoring and never amounted to anything? Indeed, my point.

You'll never have perfect odds, the point is to have high odds. Which production + skating consideration allows one to do pretty well. I wouldn't be shocked at all if simply judging players by scoring + skating(with slight consideration if they're undersized) outperformed most NHL GMs in drafting. There are so many steals that system gets, like Debrincat as mentioned, Gostisbehere, PK Subban etc.

I would say a better metric although unmeasurable is decision making on the ice. You need to account for things such as growth, height, leadership ability, year to year progression. Very short sighted to assume scoring and skating are the things that make a prospect succeed.

Reactions: Ippenator

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Looked good in preseason game against Kalpa.

He looked fast and REALLY good hands. Set up good passes to the fron of the net but teammates couldn't capitalize.

He also shot way more than I thought he would.

Reactions: theVladiator

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
What a waste though....why Kärpät coach keeps him off wing :(
- sure, he got 2 points tonight and he is pretty much ppg this season, but his 5 on 5 game significantly suffers
from him playing RW instead of LW i think.

From 6 points only 1 has come from 5 on 5.

I haven't seen him play, but when you look at the fact that he has only 1 point
you'd think he would perform better 5 on 5 when playing natural position
instead off wing.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The kid is having a good night again. 1+1 so far and still some of the 3rd period left.

Already 9 points in 10 games so far, so he is almost PPG. He will be an absolute stud, if he can gain some good explosive strength and more core strength during the next couple of years. His skating and especially IQ and passing skills are that excellent, that I can’t see him not panning out as even a great NHL player, as long as he gets the strength issues fixed. Absolutely magnificent talent!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Dunno, nothing except his passing looks special. He's not fast, he's not strong, his shot is not that good....eh... Not overly impressed.

Surprise, surprise, Paul Maurice don't think much about his own country men.

FYI Heponiemi happens to be fast, quick skater, who owns a really good wrist shot (although should use it more often)
has a decent slap shot (nothing special), is a wizard dekester. Yes, without a doubt his best asset is his high IQ which
contributes as special playmaking ability.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Surprise, surprise, Paul Maurice don't think much about his own country men.

FYI Heponiemi happens to be fast, quick skater, who owns a really good wrist shot (although should use it more often)
has a decent slap shot (nothing special), is a wizard dekester. Yes, without a doubt his best asset is his high IQ which
contributes as special playmaking ability.
Oh, i like many of our prospects. Nothing but his passing (and decision making with the puck, AKA IQ) is NHL level right now. Another good thing i find about his game is that he's not afraid of physical contact. He'll battle for pucks with pleasure. If he's going to make it, he'll need couple of good summers.

These are just my own opinions I've formed from watching him.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad