C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

myzteriouz

Dec 4, 2011
I was looking at the scores to see how Heponiemi did in the last game, but something else caught my eye, in a 6-0 win for the Broncos, how did a Moose Jaw centre get 1st star? Do they always give the home team player 1st star in WHL?

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I'm really excited if this is my prospect.

But, I'm also concerned that his playoff numbers, 2 seasons in a row fall off significantly.
Gawdin 9 goals and 20 points in 14 playoff games.
Steenbergen 10 goals and 18 points in 14 games.
Heponiemi 0 goals and 14 points in 14 games. That's not 0 goals and 26 assists/points in 28 playoff games over the last 2 seasons.

How much does added size/strength change that? If it's not dramatic, if he already can't produce due to the closer checking style of the playoffs at the WHL level...that's trouble. If he plays at 180-ish which you'd think he'd fill out to...that might negate the size/strength disadvantage he faces.

I like seeing guys like this succeed. But, there is very legit cause for at least some concern.
I have watched Heponiemi play a few times on tv and its his breakaway speed and hands that impress me the most about him. His playoff goal scoring is a concern but I'm just so impressed by his statistical domination of the WHL. He has produced the highest ppg in this league within the last 17 years. Hepo is owning the WHL, an 18 year old dominating boys, its amazing. If he plays in the whl next year, i would not be surprised if he averages 3 points per game.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I have watched Heponiemi play a few times on tv and its his breakaway speed and hands that impress me the most about him. His playoff goal scoring is a concern but I'm just so impressed by his statistical domination of the WHL. He has produced the highest ppg in this league within the last 17 years. Hepo is owning the WHL, an 18 year old dominating boys, its amazing. If he plays in the whl next year, i would not be surprised if he averages 3 points per game.
It would make no sense for him to play in the WHL next season. He is already dominating that league. If he can't make the NHL, I hope he plays in Europe for one season.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
I disagree. (on both of you two)

Hepo just likes to pass it on, he just doesn't shoot the puck, that's all.
Doesn't even take much of shot attempts in a game, he just IS a pure playmaker, some are pure snipers
Hepo is a pure playmaker. Some fans are just over-reacting here.

I think he only attempts a shot,when he thinks there's a 100% certain scoring chance
otherweise, he will pass the puck to his line/team mates.
There aren't enough of these types of pure playmakers to go around, he knows how to put the puck in prime scoring positions and Florida shooters are going to love playing with him.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Finnish hockey needs another Raipe Helminen, Heponiemi is from Tampere too
so he is half way there already :)

...a Raipe Helminen version who actually doesn't get injured/fall ill and actually haves a true NHL career.
- and make it a, successful one :)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hepo the hero in the regulation again, goal (game tying in 3rd) + assist tonight in game 2, Broncos gets the W,
but the true hero of the game was Mr. Giorgio Estephan, 3 goals, including a OT winner.

Broncos hit the jackpot with Estephan at the trade dead line,awesome pick!.
- who did Giorgio play'd for you may ask?, well, he play'd for the Lethbridge Hurricanes,
the opponent they play against :)

Broncos lead 2-0 over the Hurricanes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

What can WHL offer to him anymore?

Nothing, it's a step back if he goes back to WHL.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
How many of them were scoring 3 ppg at 19 and still stayed?

I agree with @BB88, he needs to face stiffer comp.
Theo Fleury and Ryan Getzlaf stayed in the whl for 2 more years after thier draft, so did Jamie Benn and Mark Recchi. Oh wait, nevermind they play a physical style of hockey. I forgot Hepo is a Euro, he gets the priviledge of having more options.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Theo Fleury and Ryan Getzlaf stayed in the whl for 2 more years after thier draft, so did Jamie Benn and Mark Recchi. Oh wait, nevermind they play a physical style of hockey. I forgot Hepo is a Euro, he gets the priviledge of having more options.

Wasn't the lockout on his +2 season?

Prospects are different, if Hepo does whatever he wants in the WHL next year that teaches him nothing about NHL or playing against men.
He needs to learn how to compete against stronger guys, not how to put up points against juniors. He knows that quite well already.

Getzlaf put up 75 points in 49 games on his +1 season, Hepo 118 in 57.

Reactions: Critical

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I agree that he should probably go to Europe to play against men so that he could work on his game against stronger opponents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->