C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Couple pictures from yesterday, via Tappara´s home page...

tappara-blues_01102011_20111001_2051567500.jpg

tappara-blues_01102011_20111001_1626006688.jpg

Since he´s 16 why isn´t he wearing a cage? Don´t Finnish league rules require U18 players to wear them?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Head coach of Tappara raved about Barkov at the press meeting and stated that they will use him in the future. Barkov looked so calm with the puck and made great decisions. Created few scoring chances and had couple good scoring opportunities. But his defensive game was excellent even at this level. created many turnovers and his positioning was excellent. Last time i've been so high about finnish prospect was Granlund but this could be even better. He is FEL ready already. They will be crazy if they don't choose Barkov to the U-20 WJC.

tikkanen5rings*

This kid might be generational talent. I'm so excited about this one that I don't think I have ever been and that's including Swedish prospects.

1st Overall. BOOK IT.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
This kid might be generational talent. I'm so excited about this one that I don't think I have ever been and that's including Swedish prospects.

1st Overall. BOOK IT.

I'm excited about Barkov too, but you know, we say that from our every prospect. I remember someone saying that Rasmus Ristolainen will be first overall in 2013. So top two picks of the draft both Finnish? Ain't gonna happen. :laugh:

It's imbossible to say how good these guys will be, they are only 16 afterall.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

1st Overall. BOOK IT.

The word generational talent might not be wise word to use at this point. Potential generational talent from finland and maybe europe. He might be best 16 year old ever i've seen from finland. It's easier to see Sasha Jr. as an selke calibre of player than Hart calibre of player. Updated version from Mikko Koivu with some Datsyuk on him. Not an player like Gretzky, Lemieux which are generational talents. But he certainly has potential to become one of the best centers in this game. If you take name off his jersey you don't notice that he is 16 year old he plays like veteran, he never is in hurry, his patience with puck is great and when he has puck he has ability to control pace of the game and create more space and time for himself and his linemates. Crazy to see an 16 year old player playing like that against men in one of the best leagues of the world. I hope he makes into our U-20 WJC because he should. There is no better centers available not named Mikael Granlund who is 3 and 1/2 years older. So far so good. He wasn't playing with juniors today that means he's gonna stay with men for a while atleast.

I'm excited about Barkov too, but you know, we say that from our every prospect. I remember someone saying that Rasmus Ristolainen will be first overall in 2013. So top two picks of the draft both Finnish? Ain't gonna happen. :laugh:

Both has top 5 potential but it's an good draft with other good prospects anything can happen. But it's hard to find as complete player as Barkov from this draft maybe Seth Jones who is nearly 1 year older. He was more complete player than Grigorenko and Galchenyuk when i saw them playing at Ivan Hlinka and they both are top 10 picks for 2012 draft.

Last edited:

tikkanen5rings*

Ristolainen is a great prospect and I think he'll be a low 1st rounder but this one is special. Better than Granlund for sure. By generational talen I ment he can be as good or better than Crosby for example.

Latex*

Ristolainen is a great prospect and I think he'll be a low 1st rounder but this one is special. Better than Granlund for sure. By generational talen I ment he can be as good or better than Crosby for example.

ROFL

You realize you just said Barkov can become as good as the best player of our time.

The overhype...

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

That is very unlikely. Healthy Crosby would be among generational talents.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Well, that´s exactly the point. The kid obviously is special and all but to claim about any 16 year old player that he could be as good (or better :amazed:) than Crosby is very how should I put it-bold. And such claims have been made about players and didn´t come true way too many times. I don´t know whether it is because people just have a tendency to overrate prospects or because they don´t realize exactly how special Crosby is. At this point of time it would make much more sense to say that Barkov has the potential to be a generational player for Finland. It´s way too soon, but IMO it would be no great surprise if Barkov didn´t turn out to be a 1st overall pick,let´s not forget that he has a lot of competition outside Finland.

tikkanen5rings*

Great size and dominant player in all aspects of the game. I'm telling you guys this is a prototype of a perfect hockey player. There isn't a single weakness in his game. The most impressive prospect I've ever seen and I saw Crosby and Ovechkin.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Well, that´s exactly the point. The kid obviously is special and all but to claim about any 16 year old player that he could be as good (or better :amazed:) than Crosby is very how should I put it-bold. And such claims have been made about players and didn´t come true way too many times. I don´t know whether it is because people just have a tendency to overrate prospects or because they don´t realize exactly how special Crosby is. At this point of time it would make much more sense to say that Barkov has the potential to be a generational player for Finland. It´s way too soon, but IMO it would be no great surprise if Barkov didn´t turn out to be a 1st overall pick,let´s not forget that he has a lot of competition outside Finland.

Exactly, well written.

Great size and dominant player in all aspects of the game. I'm telling you guys this is a prototype of a perfect hockey player. There isn't a single weakness in his game. The most impressive prospect I've ever seen and I saw Crosby and Ovechkin.

I don't disagree with you if we compare overall game but Crosby and Ovechkin had unnatural high-end offensive abilities. I've seen them aswell and Ovechkin and Crosby had special offensive instincts and skills that Barkov doesen't have. Barkov is clearly IMO better than both was at defensive game which isn't so much but i haven't seen an foward prospect who is better at two-way game as him at 16's. I still see him as an Mix of Mikko Koivu/Pavel Datsyuk and future perennial Selke trophy nominee(which is alot).

Last edited:

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Perfect 3rd line center for the WJC team perhaps?

Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Pulkkinen
Salomäki - Ma. Granlund - Armia
x - Barkov - Ruuttu

Suddenly I realized that we're going to be contenders this year.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

Isn't he a slow skater? That would probably hold him back from being a generational talent.

Latex*

Perfect 3rd line center for the WJC team perhaps?

Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Pulkkinen
Salomäki - Ma. Granlund - Armia
x - Barkov - Ruuttu

Nah... The scorers should be split up in 3 lines. That's the best way IMO.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He didn't seem slow to me.

He's listed 6'2 but the commentators said he's at least 6'3.

I agree with them. Prolly end up 6'4-6'5. He isn't slow but not fast either but seems to be always in right place because his positioning is excellent. He grew up so fast which hurted his skating a bit. Let him get used to his large frame and develope his skating little bit. We have to remember that he's barely 2013 draftee and among the youngest top prospects for 2013 draft.

Last edited:

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
Nah... The scorers should be split up in 3 lines. That's the best way IMO.

IIRC Salomäki-Granlund jr.-Armia and especially Donskoi-Granlund-Pulkkinen have played A LOT together. Finding chemistry quickly is the key in these type of tournaments.

I wouldn't count Juuso Ikonen out at this point. Blues fans consider him as a Granlund/Pulkkinen type of prospect, Ikonen also has higher PPG at A-junior level than both of those guys as 16-year-olds at the moment. Obviously he needs to prove himself against men, if he wants to make the team.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
IIRC Salomäki-Granlund jr.-Armia and especially Donskoi-Granlund-Pulkkinen have played A LOT together. Finding chemistry quickly is the key in these type of tournaments.

Donskoi and salomäki did well without granlund and pulkkinen at last WJC.

Joel Mustonen-Mi. Granlund-Pulkkinen
Ruuttu-Ma. Granlund-Armia
Salomäki-Barkov-Donskoi
Ã…sten-X-X

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Last game Mi. and Ma. Granlund played in the same line, and if they keep doing that it might be smart to keep that pair together. Plus Ma. Granlund has yet to play a mens game as a center, and I really doubt he can play at the level required for a 2nd line center in the WJC's. Already a while back I think it was tormentor that suggested playing both granlunds on the top line, Markus playing wing. That would leave us quite slim at center though, not sure how Barkov could handle n.o 2 center spot.

Ma. Granlund - Mi. Granlund - Joel Armia
Teemu Pulkkinen - X/Barkov jr. - Alex Ruuttu
Miikka Salomäki - X/Barkov jr. - Joonas Donskoi
M-M Ã…sten - Joel Mustonen - Patrik Moisio
Teräväinen

Patrik Moisio looks like a WJC equivalent for Jarkko Ruutu. Fearless, borderline cheapshots every other shift. Playing regularly in TUTO right now. Skillwise there are better possibilities but I'd love to see him out there confusing opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad