C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
FC's writing on Barkov's performance at Ivan Hlinka :handclap:

Centre Aleksandr Barkov was arguably the top performer for Finland’s U18 squad contributing on both sides of the puck. Impressive size at six-foot-two with good strength and skill for were showcased each game as Barkov led the Finnish attack, not bad for a prospect not yet even 16-year-old. He reads and anticipates the play very well and can use his large frame to win most puck battles. While not draft eligible until 2013, he should be a hot commodity for scouts to keep track of after this impressive appearance.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
He haven't represented finland in any IIHF tournament yet so he has still chance to choose Russia over Finland. He has lived his whole life in Finland, i just hope his dad won't talk him around :cry:

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
He haven't represented finland in any IIHF tournament yet so he has still chance to choose Russia over Finland. He has lived his whole life in Finland, i just hope his dad won't talk him around :cry:

I don't think he has a Russian citicenship, but I could be wrong, nor do I think, that his dad would talk him to represent Russia if he does have Russian citisenship. I've heard a few foreign SM-liiga players say, that their kids (who have born in Finland), will only have Finnish citicenship (example: Shayne Toporowski), I think this is the case with the Barkov's, he's also lived his whole life in Finland, and chose to stay in Finland while his dad moved to Russia to coach in KHL, to me, that alone tells something about where he wants to be/play; this could also be the same for International games.

Edit: Also, I believe this is pretty much the same case as it was with the Eremenko's, Russian father, but kids born and raised in Finland; they both chose Finland over Russia.

Last edited:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Very exciting... Let's hope he doesn't disappoint like Rajala.

I never got my hopes up so much as I did for Rajala... He really let me down. I just hope Barkov is the next coming for us Finns. :)

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Very exciting... Let's hope he doesn't disappoint like Rajala.

I never got my hopes up so much as I did for Rajala... He really let me down. I just hope Barkov is the next coming for us Finns. :)

I never liked Rajala too weak and scared of contact. Barkov is physical, big, plays excellent 2-way game and is a dream player of coach who can play at every situation. I compare his decision making to granlund's. Granlund has special hockey iq tho. But barkov plays very smart game, all the little things he does in the ice impresses me. his penalty killing is excellent, it's almost perfection, how he reads the plays, blocks shots, uses his strength at boards and hes very dangerous aswell. I say it again very compete player. He isn't even 16, i hope he can get couple games at fel in this upcoming season. Hockeyprospectus on barkov: Now Barkov is on a whole other level. He's only 15 years old and looked like one of the best players in the entire tournament. He has beyond plus hands and hockey sense, with a great frame for a late 1995 birth date. His skating is a little underwhelming, but when you consider that he's a few days removed from being a 2014 draftee, where he is in his development is nothing short of exceptional. He's at the top of the 2013 draft boards right now.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
ISS on Barkov:

"Aleksandr Barkov, Finland - Amazing that a 1995-born player can be so dominant on almost every shift playing against an age group above his own. We have got used to undersized Finnish forward prospects who have ridiculous technical skill packages, but not only does Barkov have the skill package, he also has the size. He is extremely instinctual and always seems to make plays that leave you wondering how he did it. As if the offensive wow factor wasn't enough, Barkov also showed off some good two-way desire and all-situations ability. When your top offensive playmaker is blocking shots on the penalty kill, you've got something special."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...-Top-Ivan-Hlinka-tournament-performances.html

I really hope he makes into WJC team, i think he'll get camp invation. If not top 6, he will be useful in bottom 6 role and penalty killing.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I heard that Sasha Barkov didn't look out of the place, 3rd line was quite good and he could play at men level already. Played solid overall game, created good chances, stole the puck many times. I hope that he doesen't get promoted to men level too early, let him dominate at the Junior's. His only flaw is his skating. Wonder how highly he would be ranked if he was born couple weeks later for the 2014 draft, Sasha Barkov Jr. could be most compete foward for the 2013 draft, being barely eligible for that draft.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
We are talking about giving youth-players alot of chances to play with the men in their league-teams but even Barkov-type of super-talented big forward has to start the season with the juniors. I see a contradiction here. Unfortunately.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Well two weeks later he IS making his SM-liiga debut , as you can read here (in finnish).

It was clear that he gonna make debut this year. He is so complete player all-around and has high-end offensive abilities, leadership. I think he'll project similar player to Mikko Koivu with better offensive abilities and same or better defensive abilities (which sound quite crazy) and player like that fits in every team in the NHL. If he works on his skating i think he'll go top 3 in the draft. This might sound overhyping but im so high on his defensive game, smartness, leadership and add his high-end offensive abilities. He was the most complete player at ivan hlinka and hes nearly a 2014 draftee. I have told it before, imagine player with russian skill and finnish work ethic you get Barkov Jr.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
and now he is in KHL....

Because he's the slowest player in the whole world... :laugh:

Sorry about going a bit off-topic, great to see Barkov in the lineup. Maybe Jonatan Tanus will follow him next year?

Torspo21

mailataikuri
Dec 15, 2009
Oijärvi
torspo21.blogspot.com
Couple pictures from yesterday, via Tappara´s home page...

tappara-blues_01102011_20111001_2051567500.jpg

tappara-blues_01102011_20111001_1626006688.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad