C Adam Beckman (2019, 75th, MIN)

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
God, er, Pronman doesn't rank him as a top prospect. */tosses Beckman Wild jersey in trash/*

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
God, er, Pronman doesn't rank him as a top prospect. */tosses Beckman Wild jersey in trash/*
He addressed it in the comments, saying that it was because he doesn’t have elite playmaking ability or skating. Said shot and brain are elite though. Makes no sense since most players on the list didn’t have “elite playmaking” and about half of them he says their skating is “just fine.” Looking at stats, he’s following a similar path to Sam Steel, who led the dub in scoring his 18yo season. I wish there were more videos out there on the guy. His shot looks insane from what I can see.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He addressed it in the comments, saying that it was because he doesn’t have elite playmaking ability or skating. Said shot and brain are elite though. Makes no sense since most players on the list didn’t have “elite playmaking” and about half of them he says their skating is “just fine.” Looking at stats, he’s following a similar path to Sam Steel, who led the dub in scoring his 18yo season. I wish there were more videos out there on the guy. His shot looks insane from what I can see.

Top 50 prospects and the guy leading the whole WHL in scoring as an 18 year old isn't on it because only his shot and his IQ are elite. Blame the elite supporting cast Beckman has surrounding him in Spokane, I guess.

Figure that one out.

Reactions: Dominance

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Top 50 prospects and the guy leading the whole WHL in scoring as an 18 year old isn't on it because only his shot and his IQ are elite. Blame the elite supporting cast Beckman has surrounding him in Spokane, I guess.

Figure that one out.
He has a hard job. To actually scout all of the players and watch as much hockey as he says he does would be impossible. That was a long article he wrote too. Probably took a few days. There were some extremely questionable prospects he left off the list, and I wonder if some of the guys that he said “just missed” he just forgot existed. That would be an extremely bad look, but he’s balancing hundreds of drafted prospects so I could see it. I just wish he wouldn’t contradict himself so much.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He has a hard job. To actually scout all of the players and watch as much hockey as he says he does would be impossible. That was a long article he wrote too. Probably took a few days. There were some extremely questionable prospects he left off the list, and I wonder if some of the guys that he said “just missed” he just forgot existed. That would be an extremely bad look, but he’s balancing hundreds of drafted prospects so I could see it. I just wish he wouldn’t contradict himself so much.

I recognize that his job is impossible and will never please everyone, all I'd say is that the guy leading the WHL in scoring as a just-drafted 18 year old (over guys like Cozens, mind you) probably deserves a longer look.

I'm not upset by it, ultimately it means nothing. And I don't know who the top 50 actually are because I don't have a subscription, but it's just kinda... weird. And a weird justification for leaving him off too, like you said. I could see him having just forgot about Beckman until he was done, as you suggested.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Have watched him live a couple times in the last month. Once without Ty Smith in the lineup also.

He's a nice prospect for sure but i would settle the expectations building from junior scoring. especially if your criticizing Pronman also. Quality of competition is just so poor compared to AHL even.

IceQ and hands are of top quality and he has a good frame, reach and a very good shot which still needs work to be an effective pro scorer. Short sample but his release needs to be more explosive, accuracy and patience is excellent though.

Skating and strength at this point is very much a work in progress for the next levels. He's very smooth but he needs more pop to be able to create the time and space to take advantage of his skill set. His edge work while decent is not a plus trait once he turns pro.

Take it for what it is (a 2 game summary this year and a few games last) but i would say your 75th selection is looking like a 30-45 pick. Similar to Kole Lind or Tyler Benson. Nice pick trending the right way

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Your second paragraph is an observation that isn't unique to Beckman, and could be applied to literally tens of thousands of prospects that have gone through the CHL. Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, etc. have turned out alright. Probably best to delete it, or say the same thing about every single player that goes through the CHL...and while you are at it, the BCHL, the USHL, etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: CROCODILE SEATS

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Your second paragraph is an observation that isn't unique to Beckman, and could be applied to literally tens of thousands of prospects that have gone through the CHL. Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, etc. have turned out alright. Probably best to delete it, or same the same thing about every single player that goes through the CHL...and while you are at it, the BCHL, the USHL, etc..

Folks sure do have some odd criticisms around here. If a kid isn’t scoring the mantra is “if he can’t score in junior he’s unlikely to at the next level,” and if a kid is scoring at a high rate it’s “temper expectations; it’s only junior.” These kids are putting up points against their peers in the league they’re currently eligible for.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Watched him last night vs Everett: supports the play really well, surprisingly sloppy with puck handling, linemates not very good.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe just a bad night. Some games I Look at the Wild and they can't complete a simple passing play, and they make unforced turnovers all over the ice.

In the times I've seen him (clips only) he does alright carrying the puck. Seems to have a good( not great) shot, but more importantly, doesn't hesitate when he has a scoring chance. We'll see if that ability survives the move to higher levels of hockey, when time and space is limited.

His skating looks good to me. Not great, but above average, at least speed wise.

His size seems to be decent, but he needs to grow into it, like many who have gone through a recent growth spurt.

Can't argue with his performance this year. Only Cozens has a higher PPG in the league, regardless of draft year. That's pretty heady company.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
5 points ahead of 2nd place guy, still leading in goals and PPG(.01 ahead of Cozens). I take back what I said earlier about him having a good shot, but nothing special. After watching him...this guy can really sling it. No hesitation, and has an uncanny ability to find corners through traffic, and while moving laterally. Also vg at the one timer.

No idea if his play can translate to higher levels(as with any propsect), but if he can fill out his 6'1" frame then I don't see why not.

He and Khovanov were great 3rd round picks by MN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad