Bylsma/coaching discussion thread

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I hear this all the time, and I always feel compelled to set things straight.

Coach adjustment had nothing to do with Tampa coming back in that series. Fleury playing like a sack of **** did. In the final 3 games, MAF saw just 58 shots but let in 9 goals. Geriatric Roloson saw 98 shots and and let in only 4.

That, and only that, was the reason Tampa came back. Bylsma can't control Fleury's brain turning to mush.
I don't agree with that at all. In fact most of the time MAF looks like crap you can go back, find him playing well, see poor coverage around the net and slot area and then see him break down as he over extends himself because he has to play the puck, pass, popcorn guy and Reg Dunlop. Then as the series goes on MAF looks like crap and starts letting in the soff goals.

On the other end, Roloson could just come out and be agressive on the shooter because the Pens never put anyone back door or even passed across the ice. If a player was coming down one side of the ice, the puck would stay on that side of the ice and so did the shot. He never had to go side to side and shots would be logo busters.

The same thing happened last year with the Flyers. MAF looks great in game 1, gets beat on a backdoor play to Voracek, the Flyers station someone back door and MAF melts down and over extends on every play.

Any goalie can play better when they can just focus on pucks, lockdown and make saves. Not worry about who's in back of them and extend side to side on every play.

Then we could get into MAF playing for a garbage team when he clearly wasn't ready as a rookie and having no goalie coach during his growing years. Even still I think his goalie coach is part time. I'm not sure who he works with over the summer but this year he's finally closing his gaps when going side to side instead of just kicking out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad