Byfuglien

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Ducks fan here, I have a few questions regarding Byfuglien.

1. How has he looked this season?

2. Do you think the Jets will trade him?

3. What would you like in return from the Ducks? We have a great prospect pool, two 1st round picks, and Sbisa.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
He has had very good games and some stinkers, overall, I'm happy with his game.

I think they will if the price is right

A young top center is a need

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
I noticed a proposal on the main boards that was Holland + Hillar + 1st for Buffy. I think that would be a solid deal for both sides, maybe sub in Sbisa rather than the pick? Holland + Hillar + Sbisa for Buffy + 2015 pick? Ether way I think the Jets and Ducks make very good trade partners. I personally would rather deal Bogo but I don't think hes really the kind of D most ducks fans are looking for.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Buff has been better this year than the last couple, minus a slip up here and there.
I think we could make a deal work.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Interesting. sbisa plus might work...Buff is good with the right partner. Him and Beauchemin would be good together.

John Gibson would be interesting too..

Aela*

He still sucks at playing defense, but he has gotten better, and is still same old offensive Buff.

One thing I would say is that I personally don't want to trade him for question marks.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Buff is elite.

When he wants to be. And that's my issue with Buff.

I have seen how good he can be ( elite as you say ), and once you show me what you could play like... I want you playing like that all the time. And we don't get that with Buff. Everyone has off nights and bad bounces, but more so than other players....Buff brings me to my feet one game and then the next I wish he wasn't even playing. That's too far of a range for someone who could be the best.

The question I can't answer is why. Why is Buff great one game and horrible the next? Is it motivation, desire, is he just in it to get paid, is he lazy.... Buff is a frustrating player to have on your team.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Byfuglien's "problem" is that he's the kind of player that always wants to make something happen. He's much more likely to "force" something, and more often than not he can, because of how physically dominant he is. Unfortunately when you play a high-risk game like that, sometimes you get burned for it. Frankly, every d-man makes mistakes, and often they end up in our net. That's hockey. Why Byfuglien is elite is because he is always looking for ways to contribute offensively, and that makes his mistakes look worse than they really are. But he causes more pucks in the opposition's net than he does in ours, and that's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
When he wants to be. And that's my issue with Buff.

I have seen how good he can be ( elite as you say ), and once you show me what you could play like... I want you playing like that all the time. And we don't get that with Buff. Everyone has off nights and bad bounces, but more so than other players....Buff brings me to my feet one game and then the next I wish he wasn't even playing. That's too far of a range for someone who could be the best.

The question I can't answer is why. Why is Buff great one game and horrible the next? Is it motivation, desire, is he just in it to get paid, is he lazy.... Buff is a frustrating player to have on your team.

That is my major issue with Buff. Seriously I have a love hate relationship with him. I want to love him, but then I'll see him stand there while an opposition forward walks to the front of the net and has his way with our goaltender, or lazily wave his stick at a puck carrier when he could just smush him against the boards.

The thing about Buff is that he can win you a game, or cost you a game. He is that effective either positively or negatively. Unfortunately, as long as we aren't winning enough to make the playoffs, he is not on the plus side of that effect enough for my liking.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Also, people consistently underrate his ability to stick-check. Just because he has size doesn't mean he has to use it. The only person on this team who's better at it is Enstrom, AFAIC.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Buff is elite.

Buff has elite talent. Buff is not an elite player.

Holland + Sbisa + (insert any Ducks goalie) would be a great base for a trade. My guess is they'd want a bit coming back...Gooch as a rental perhaps?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Byfuglien's "problem" is that he's the kind of player that always wants to make something happen. He's much more likely to "force" something, and more often than not he can, because of how physically dominant he is. Unfortunately when you play a high-risk game like that, sometimes you get burned for it. Frankly, every d-man makes mistakes, and often they end up in our net. That's hockey. Why Byfuglien is elite is because he is always looking for ways to contribute offensively, and that makes his mistakes look worse than they really are. But he causes more pucks in the opposition's net than he does in ours, and that's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

His biggest problem, related to wanting to make something happen, is that he takes shifts that are way too long and gets caught out long after the rest of the team has changed. Then he stands in one spot in the D zone and it's just a matter of hoping the puck doesn't come to the front of our net as we play 4 on 5 with a giant pylon on one side of the crease.

bazaaa*

Buff has elite talent. Buff is not an elite player.

Holland + Sbisa + (insert any Ducks goalie) would be a great base for a trade. My guess is they'd want a bit coming back...Gooch as a rental perhaps?

Just to clear it up, I agree, I was quoting wpgsliver who thinks Buff will get an elite player type return. There's not a team in the league that will give an elite return on him because every single team in the league knows he's inconsistent, it's not some secret.
I think everyone here would love to keep Buff if he played like he could every single game.

bazaaa*

Then he stands in one spot in the D zone and it's just a matter of hoping the puck doesn't come to the front of our net as we play 4 on 5 with a giant pylon on one side of the crease.

This is exactly one of the reasons I say Pavs isn't as bad as people say he is. Too many times Buff is sitting there doing nothing, and a guy scores from right in front of the net because Buff didn't want to tie him up.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
His biggest problem, related to wanting to make something happen, is that he takes shifts that are way too long and gets caught out long after the rest of the team has changed. Then he stands in one spot in the D zone and it's just a matter of hoping the puck doesn't come to the front of our net as we play 4 on 5 with a giant pylon on one side of the crease.

You're gonna have to prove that, because I don't think that's true at all.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Buffs been better these past few games, hoping he keeps it up as he has the perfect opportunity to continue to be our top defensemen.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Just to clear it up, I agree, I was quoting wpgsliver who thinks Buff will get an elite player type return. There's not a team in the league that will give an elite return on him because every single team in the league knows he's inconsistent, it's not some secret.
I think everyone here would love to keep Buff if he played like he could every single game.

You didn't quote me at all.
You just said "Buff is elite"

I've said before and Ill repeat Buff is an elite offensive defencemen.
If you disagree with that you're out to lunch.

Not sure where you get that I think he'll get an elite return. I've proposed both Schenns for him. That to me doesn't seem outrageous.

But you can skew my posts however you like. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad