Byfuglien named WHL Player Of The Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

Calgary - The Western Hockey League today announced that defenceman Dustin Byfuglien of the Prince George Cougars has been named the HUSKY WHL Player of the Month for December.

The 19-year-old from Roseau, Minnesota recorded five goals and 16 points in 10 games in December. Byfuglien also had a plus minus rating of seven for the month and finished tied for second among all WHL players in scoring during the month.

Byfuglien recorded a power-play goal and added two game-winning goals in December and currently is first in team scoring with 13 goals and 33 points. He is also second in WHL scoring among defencemen this season.

http://www.whl.ca/headlines/?id=2581&showToc=1&

============================================================

Just thought I would show a bit of what USA Hockey was missing over the Christmas holidays.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
This 8th rounder is the epitome of what it means to be underrated. Glad to see him getting some kind of recognition.

You're my boy Bubba!!! :yo:

BCCHL inactive

Byfuglien was quoted in today's Prince George Citizen, saying how although he is happy for the award, he didn't really think he played that great in December, and he knows he can play even better. He also said that he was glad the USA lost the Bronze Medal Game against the Czech Republic, in an obvious bitter mood over not getting a sniff from USA Hockey to be on their U20 team.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
This guy will be amazing when he reaches a good weight and he will dominate in the NHL because of his size and his skating is great for a big guy.

BCCHL inactive

Habsfan 32 said:
This guy will be amazing when he reaches a good weight and he will dominate in the NHL because of his size and his skating is great for a big guy.

He is down to 240-245, and with his build, he won't get much lighter either.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
He is fast and has great endurance despite his weight, even though he lost 40 pounds in the last 2 years, I dont know if he can lose much more. Either way he is great, and is almost a new type of hockey player all together.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Habsfan 32 said:

Dont you think you might be reaching a bit when you say a guy who is just playing well in juniors will dominate the NHL? Come on now.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Says the guy with Ovenchicken in his avatar. Check his numbers in the RSL, they arent fantastic by any means yet Im sure you expect him to dominate the NHL.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
theBob said:
Says the guy with Ovenchicken in his avatar. Check his numbers in the RSL, they arent fantastic by any means yet Im sure you expect him to dominate the NHL.

Actually, you don't know what you are talking about. His RSL numbers are great. Fantastic considering his age. But there's more to a prospect than numbers, which is why Ovechkin is going to be a very good NHLer.

As for Bubba, I like the kid's story and he seems to be getting better and better. Looks like he should have gone sooner than the 8th round. I think he is top scorer of his team as a D. That's not bad at all. Does he still play forward from time to time? I'd like to catch a game of him this year, see how he plays.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Vlad The Impaler said:
Actually, you don't know what you are talking about. His RSL numbers are great. Fantastic considering his age. But there's more to a prospect than numbers, which is why Ovechkin is going to be a very good NHLer.

Obviously you are correct that there is more to a prospect than his numbers. But if one poster says "Just because so and so is playing great in this league doesnt mean he will in the NHL." Saying "So and so isnt playing great in this league but will dominate the NHL" They are both improper ways of judging a prospect, sorry if you missed what I was getting at.

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
*waits for the inevitable byfuglien vs phaneuf and stickied byfuglien fan threads*

BCCHL inactive

theBob said:
Bubba just scored 2 more goals tonight. He got crossed checked in the face half way through but still returned to play out the game! :bow:

You do realize Byfuglien is currently wearing a full visor because he had some teeth knocked out by a puck before Christmas, eh? ;)

The cross check likely did little to no damage.

Chaos said:
Dont you think you might be reaching a bit when you say a guy who is just playing well in juniors will dominate the NHL? Come on now.

Go away.

Vlad, Bubba is pretty much a full time defenceman now. After 34 games (including tonight), he has 15 goals and 20 assists for 35 points, which leads the Cougars in scoring. Nick Drazenovic is 2nd with 33 points (11 G 22 A) in 40 games.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I dont believe he has played forward once this season. He was given the choice this last summer and chose to be full time dman. Id love to have a forward like him, but better to keep him at his natural position.

BCCHL inactive

theBob said:
I dont believe he has played forward once this season. He was given the choice this last summer and chose to be full time dman. Id love to have a forward like him, but better to keep him at his natural position.

Actually, his natural position is playing the wing. He was converted into a defenceman when he broke into the WHL with Brandon.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
WOW I didnt know that. Im surprised that he chose to stay on D then. The Hawks could really use a forward with his abilities more than they could another defenseman. If he played forward, he could make the Hawks roster within 2 years, but on D he will wait 3 years in line most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad