Confirmed with Link: Bye Marc Methot.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Like I said in Dorion thread, I bet Methot is happy he landed in Dallas where he can basically do the same thing he's been doing, just give the puck to a higher skilled Swedish partner.

Obviously Klingberg is not Karlsson, but it beats being in Vegas and being expected to do a whole lot more all of a sudden at age 32. If he plays it right in Dallas he'll still get at least another 1 to 2 year deal from someone after this contract.

Dallas is a low income tax state, I believe. He must be ecstatic with the rise in take home pay!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why give up any assets for Methot when Ottawa has plenty of LD depth to withstand the loss? I liked Methot but IMO Ottawa will be fine without him & he will likely be forgotten one month into the season.

Our Depth is good I agree but not at the level of Methot. We have bottom pairing depth at the moment. We can pencil them in different places but they have no history to show they can be more than that.

Sens lost 5 games in a row after Methot went out with his finger. His departure leaves a hole we don't have filled.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Our Depth is good I agree but not at the level of Methot. We have bottom pairing depth at the moment. We can pencil them in different places but they have no history to show they can be more than that.

Sens lost 5 games in a row after Methot went out with his finger. His departure leaves a hole we don't have filled.

who else was out at that time? How many goals did we score during that streak?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It wasn't when he went down.

Next year is another story.

Agree that it is a big hole but we have seen our depth pull through and we are looking for a partner for Karlsson, not Ceci.

I am confident in Claesson and management is as well. Nevermind that Claesson was tried with Karlsson almost immediately.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Methot is 32 yrs old with a wonky back & while he was decent this past season at some point he will begin to decline & we would have to walk away from him anyway as we did Phillips & will need to give a young guy the opportunity to play. Ottawa has all yr to assess their defence & fill that hole. If there is a defenceman or two who are not able to cut it they can always make a deal to bring in what they need as they do every yr including at the deadline.

Claesson, Harpur & Englund will all have the opportunity over the yr to show us whether they can play in the NHL or not & I for one want to see if they can. I just don't see the loss of Marc Methot as a big deal for this team given what Claesson & Harpur showed us during the playoffs & the rest of the D can spread the minutes. I think Ottawa will be fine on defence, it's the forward group that worries me.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Methot is 32 yrs old with a wonky back & while he was decent this past season at some point he will begin to decline & we would have to walk away from him anyway as we did Phillips & will need to give a young guy the opportunity to play. Ottawa has all yr to assess their defence & fill that hole. If there is a defenceman or two who are not able to cut it they can always make a deal to bring in what they need as they do every yr including at the deadline.

Claesson, Harpur & Englund will all have the opportunity over the yr to show us whether they can play in the NHL or not & I for one want to see if they can. I just don't see the loss of Marc Methot as a big deal for this team given what Claesson & Harpur showed us during the playoffs & the rest of the D can spread the minutes. I think Ottawa will be fine on defence, it's the forward group that worries me.

Everybody around here *****es that we are too kind to "the old guard" and keep them around too long. Methot is exactly that, maybe one season early. He would certainly be good for us this season, but he is what he is. A 32-yr old one-dimensional #4 defenseman.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Everybody around here *****es that we are too kind to "the old guard" and keep them around too long. Methot is exactly that, maybe one season early. He would certainly be good for us this season, but he is what he is. A 32-yr old one-dimensional #4 defenseman.

He had an excellent year and post season ... 2 years left on his contract. :shakehead

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I agree. But do we sell the farm for 2 years of a one-dimensional #4 defenseman?

He's not a 4 on this team. At worst he's a number 3. As for being one dimensional, I mean, stay at home guys who can play physical and play 18 plus minutes a night are not that easy to find. I think you're selling him short. He's better than you're giving him credit for.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No but I'd have gladly held on to him and paid him his 4.9 for 2 more years

So would I, but that wasn't an option unless they were prepared to over paid. PD made the decision not to lose more than one asset in this expansion draft whether right or wrong each person can decide that. IMO given his age & skill & the prospects who are NHL ready & are ready to step in to replace him I think Ottawa will be fine without him. It doesn't mean they will go to the conference final again without him because it takes a lot of luck to make it that far & one player won't decide that either way.

It just means that we have some young guys who can play that role & get some valuable experience trying to win a spot on the roster & if none of them are good enough to replace him it will force PD to make a deal to bring in another veteran. Personally, I think one of the young prospects will be fine & do well enough to stick & hopefully progress every yr to eventually be just as good at some point in the future. Claesson has 3 yrs of AHL experience & he did fairly well in the playoffs as did Harpur but Claesson is on a one way & should probably get the job. You have to explain every detail or else someone will take it the wrong way & jump all over it.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He's not a 4 on this team. At worst he's a number 3. As for being one dimensional, I mean, stay at home guys who can play physical and play 18 plus minutes a night are not that easy to find. I think you're selling him short. He's better than you're giving him credit for.

Well, he was 4th in ES minutes/g, 4th in PK minutes/g, and 7th in PP minutes/g, and was not on the shutdown D pairing. This is the first year for that, which would suggest his importance is waning.

Ceci had 500 more minutes. Phaneuf 500. And Karlsson 700. If those numbers get reversed, I do not think you are looking at the same Marc Methot in the playoffs, he would have been much more wore down.

In the top 4 he plays the least minutes and arguably the most sheltered minutes. No one is saying he does not have a lot of value (and I do not believe anyone else on the team can step up to that role right now), but at this point saying he was our number 4 D man is a very valid argument.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Surprised he doesn't interview Spezza after playing for like half a decade with him. A lot of ex-NE division guys on that team.

Spezza
Methot
Seguin
Flynn
Pateryn
Bishop

Eaves before he left.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He seems to be doing all right in his new home:

You guys should bring him back as part of the TV crew once he retires. :D

I think Brett Ritchie must have been developed in a lab to give perfect stock answers to hockey questions. :popcorn:

Marc Methot actually did a guest spot on the local news here in Ottawa so you might be right about him

image.jpg

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
I hope Marc lands a gig as a colour commentary guy after his NHL career. I normally mute player interviews because they're all boring and repeat the same words but Methot always gave a quality, thought out response to the interviewees.

Aurilius

Nov 12, 2015
Hostage in Canada's Basement
Gonna really miss him in red, But hope he's happy where he landed and wish him the best.

Marc if your reading this, and I'll assume your not, do you have any tips on throwing the perfect hipcheck? I play in beer league, and there's an asshat who's got it comin. Crosschecked a teamate into the endboards after the play, in a non checking league. I got penalty boxed for gettin in his face. So just askin :naughty:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->