Value of: Bye bye Darnell, Hello OEL!!

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
My cat heard the same thing.

But it does make some sense.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Oilers are going to add a 7yr x 8.25M contract with a flat cap for 2-3 years?
I like it.

Should squeeze them in the short term (not so bad if they send Neal out) and be an anchor in the long term.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why in the world would the Oilers trade away Nurse? That’s a bad idea, even if OEL is coming back.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
My cat heard the same thing.

But it does make some sense.
But not really, the org is high on Darnell Nurse, they love the game he plays and love that he wants to be an Oiler, as much as OP claims Bob mentioning stuff as proof, Bob is a MASSIVE nurse supporter and warns fans about casting him off.

The JP stuff I don’t believe, Mcdavid and him barely played together and their numbers were actually decent when they did. Management and players have always praised on how Mcdavid drives that team and leads on the ice, OEL is a very similar leader, also not a loud guy in the room by all accounts, this is why EDM brought in Neal/Smith last year.

The only part that makes any sense is that OEL would like to play for Tippett again, he had some of his best seasons, and apparently guys love playing for him. I could see his visit to the EDM bubble as persuasion in that maybe the weather isn’t so bad, but he’s in for a shock come Dec. Going from having an, allegedly really nice place, in AZ to Edmonton would be a difference.

Also only part I believe is the CGY getting involved because Edmonton was. CGY has done this multiple times, the Hamilton deal was literally a barely worse deal then EDM, but Boston went with Calgary just because Chia worked in EDM. Calgary has a very well documented history of getting into deals because their rival is rumored over there.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
As a Flames fan, I'd be livid if we traded away a 1st round pick for a goalie, so I'm definitely hoping you are wrong

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why in the world would the Oilers trade away Nurse? That’s a bad idea, even if OEL is coming back.

F3A50AA1-C875-4C53-A37E-7901C9A17D25.gif

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Cool job op I remember a buddy of mine who knew someone in the Halifax herald sports department told Me a story about back when koivu was captain and some of the players were Kovalev , kostitsyn x2, begin , gainey was gm, . I can’t prove anything but there was a blizzard of transactions in about a ten day period . Interesting what goes on behind the scenes isn’t it .

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
6. The second Calgary heard that Edmonton were trying to get OEL and Kuemper they jumped in
This is the most believable part of the post. That organization gets hard af over any rumour involving the Oilers, regardless of whether the player involved makes sense for them or not.

Reactions: frag2

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This makes sense for both teams. OEL has gone from being overrated to underrated in the last two years. I think he would be a good fit in EDM. Getting rid of Neal would be huge for them. If they can get Kuemper instead of Grabner then it would be a big win.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I just heard a similar thing about 97 and his demands about who he plays with. Was said he did this at an international competition where tge line playing better than his was broken up to accomodate him.

Then you have the whole RNH to McDs line in the playoffs that no Oiler fan could understand why. Rnh-Dra-Yamo was an absolute force in the season

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
OP says the deal is OEL and Grabner for Nurse, 1st, and a Prospect.

Where does Edmonton get the cap space to do a move like that? Is Neal involved? What about Kemper? Retention on Grabner?....

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Well, Klefbom is roughly 1.5 mil cheaper cap hit and under contract an additional year. Not to mention Klefbom being a better fit with the other Swedes on the back end (including mentorship for Broberg).

If you have to include one of Klefbom/Nurse (and I think you do), and Neal is part of the deal as well, then I think Klefbom is the guy you keep to gain that extra 1.5 to make another move.

Connor probably won’t be happy about it initially, but if it improves a chance to win a cup, he’ll come around to losing his buddy.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
OP mentioned Neal. Why shouldn't McDavid have a say about who he plays with, especially if it's a donut like Pulju?

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->