By the Numbers: Beer League Season Fees

nickerjones

Jun 29, 2008
Calgary Alberta
For me, there was a huge shock of seeing Calgary adult hockey fees coming from Oklahoma. But are Calgary's fees that bad. We took a dive into checking out the league fees from across NA over at BLT. I thought the beer leaguers here would find it interesting

Beer League By The Numbers - Breaking down the league fees

While obviously not able to find EVERY league cost, here are some general rankings.

Below is a list broken down into the price per game using a 13-player roster (with the goalie paying half), with costs standardized to USD. Obviously there are different rinks in each city, so there may be other options at different price points.

7. Boston – based on 24 games: $21.59 per game (New England Senior Hockey League)
8. Memphis – based on 13 games: $21.37 per game (Mid South Ice House)
9. Calgary – based on 30 games: $20.87 per game (NCHL)

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
For me, there was a huge shock of seeing Calgary adult hockey fees coming from Oklahoma. But are Calgary's fees that bad. We took a dive into checking out the league fees from across NA over at BLT. I thought the beer leaguers here would find it interesting

Beer League By The Numbers - Breaking down the league fees

While obviously not able to find EVERY league cost, here are some general rankings.

interesting, curious though how you chose each league in each city, for example,

Toronto has MULTIPLE mens leagues, as does LA etc,

Why ASHL Etobicoke instead of say, Downtown Mens League, or why Lakewood instead of the Valley etc?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I just calculated mine (NY state) to be 21.36 per game (22 games). it's a bit expensive given the typical cost of an open hockey is 12-15 per session, but the guys who organize the league do put a lot into it and have a well run website with stats, etc.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The cost around Vancouver for ASHL is around $27 Can, which is about $20 USD. But dammm San Jose...

But still not as bad as in some Asian countries. I heard it's like $100 just for drop in hockey.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Its around 11k per team around Edmonton, which works out to about 700 per guy. About 30 games plus 3-8 playoff games

nickerjones

Jun 29, 2008
Calgary Alberta
interesting, curious though how you chose each league in each city, for example,

Toronto has MULTIPLE mens leagues, as does LA etc,

Why ASHL Etobicoke instead of say, Downtown Mens League, or why Lakewood instead of the Valley etc?

We could do every league to compare but that would be a lot of time and effort. We just chose one of the leagues we know. Every large city has multiple mens leagues so we just chose one and moved on.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I won't play league hockey anymore because of the cost

Instead, I play in a couple of weekly drop-in games that work out to $15 per game

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Surprising that San Jose is so high. Last time I played in Arizona, it was $350 for a 16-game season, which is $21.88 per game.

Looking at Oceanside Ice Arena's league page now, they charge $480 for a 21-game schedule (22 in D league), which is a slight increase to $22.85 per game. Goalies get 50% off, you get 30% off if you play in a second league (there's A, B, C, D, and O30), and the sub fee is $30 (substitute goalies pay nothing).

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I won't play league hockey anymore because of the cost

Instead, I play in a couple of weekly drop-in games that work out to $15 per game

I'm doing the same.

League fees used to work out to between $25-30 per game, and that goes up if you can't make a few games or get injured.

I'm in 2 drop in groups this year, one is $17.50 per game at a perfect ice time for me, 8am Sundays. The other is pricier at $30/game but at prime time 5:45 Friday after work and is a great group. Both groups are all varying skills from a hack like myself to former junior and university players, teams are sort out even and no one give much care about the score anyways.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
Here in Santa Barbara Ca. it's $645/20 game season plus playoffs ($32.25/game).
That's why I stick to pick up games at $25 a game.

Roscoe

May 18, 2009
wow that's crazy expensive. We pay 450sek (about 50$) /person for a season. And that includes skate sharpening.
But we dont have statkeeping and stuff. Just a facebook group were we post the results of the games and update the standings.
Icetime is free so I guess that cuts alot of the cost.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Yeah $20 for a league game is enough. Its pretty much 10 minutes of ice time if you concider 3 lines.

$10 at shinny for 2 hours seems like a bargain

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
"7. Boston – based on 24 games: $21.59 per game (New England Senior Hockey League)"

Do we know if there is a senior discount included in this fee?

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
For Seattle, the Cascade League is referenced and is the 3rd or 4th biggest league in the area. However, the prices are about the same and in the GSHL (Greater Seattle), costs $10,275 for a team for 23 regular season games and min 2 playoff games. With 13.5 players as the OP suggests, that's $30.44 per game. League also requires payment up front at once in October.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
The problem with pick-up hockey is that it's not real hockey.
For those of us who never played minor hockey and learned how to play as an adult, it very much feels like real hockey! I play in an old timers league (40 plus) with guys in their 50s and 60s. It is obviously not professional level but the beer tastes just as good afterwards!

Reactions: Scott G

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
Try to get into a league. You'll love the team play. You have the scoreboard, face offs, penalties, refs, overtime, timeouts, real game line changes. You'll have way more fun.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Try to get into a league. You'll love the team play. You have the scoreboard, face offs, penalties, refs, overtime, timeouts, real game line changes. You'll have way more fun.

I disagree it's more fun, so I guess it comes down to personal preference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad