Buyout clause loophole?

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
I have a question with regards to the cap circumvention policy: how is New York trading for Tim Thomas to reach the cap floor not circumvention? It's been speculated that that is the only reason they made the move, or so I've read. They will be trying to move Visnovsky I guess. So how can acquiring a player who is not expected to play, they will not have to pay, just to use his cap hit to reach the floor not circumvention?

Well I certainly see it as circumvention as well, but I think the NHL and the NHLPA are probably much more lenient on cap circumvention regarding the cap floor as opposed to the ceiling.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Well I certainly see it as circumvention as well, but I think the NHL and the NHLPA are probably much more lenient on cap circumvention regarding the cap floor as opposed to the ceiling.

You would think the NHLPA would be upset with the Thomas/Islanders deal and setting a precedent -- although the amount of times it may and can be done is minimal -- Thomas will not be paid as long as he does not honor his contract, no matter who owns his rights... the Bruins spend closer to the Cap Max than not... the Islanders have to make sure they spend enough to reach the Cap Floor... While the Isles were barely above the Floor with Thomas' Cap hit on the books, they can eliminate money and still be compliant. The effect for the Players is possible less pay for Islander players and more dead space that doe them no good. ((I realize the situation is muddled with contingency payments that can be used to complicate the discussion... but I'm ignoring them for the sake of the argument here)). Anything that reduces Players salaries through circumvention should be defended by the NHLPA as I see it... and anything that circumvents the CBA should be nipped by the NHL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You'd think other owners wouldn't be pleased by an obvious ploy to get to the floor and qualify for revenue sharing, either.

They're going to look the other way as gratitude for Jeremy Jacobs taking all the heat for them during the lockout

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This has me thinking... Can/could Le Hobbit restructure his contract, much like Vick has done with the Eagles?

The only thing the Flyers can do to get him back next year at a different cap number, is to trade him before the deadline in hopes/with conditions that he is amnestyed, and sign him again. I don't think it's completely crazy it happens if the Flyers are out of it, but if they do trade him, I think it's because they're moving on for good.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
The only thing the Flyers can do to get him back next year at a different cap number, is to trade him before the deadline in hopes/with conditions that he is amnestyed, and sign him again. I don't think it's completely crazy it happens if the Flyers are out of it, but if they do trade him, I think it's because they're moving on for good.

So no way of him saying, I'll rip up that contract and do another one.... If not I wish he or players could.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
So no way of him saying, I'll rip up that contract and do another one.... If not I wish he or players could.

I believe that a couple CBAs ago they eliminated restructuring contracts, replacing contracts and having strings of one year contracts -- some of that could be only MLB circumstances though... getting hard to keep up with the past details lately -- and now we have contracts that span seasons and have AAV numbers.

The Flyers have to wait and then re-sign him to a contract that kicks in when this current one ends... like they did with Kimmo. His $6.5M Cap (AAV) is with the Flyers a couple more seasons, unless they move him upon his waiving his NMC... or buy him out.

Actually, with the weighted contract he has that, diminishes at the end, he probably would be thrilled to rework it... But it makes sense that they couldn't as it would make a mockery of the long-term weighted NHL contracts already signed... Organizations would rightfully be up in arms if they could do it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad