Buyout clause - Do we use it?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There is talk of Gomez and Redden may be able to be bought out now and only be charged for their AHL cap hit. Shouldn't this be available to the other 28 teams in the league? Seems a little unfair to me that because teams are willing to risk injury with some players they may buy out in the summer not have the same luxury. I am not saying that every team may use it right now but it should be available if they want to exercise it for this season.

They aren't on 2-way deals, so their AHL cap hit is the same as their NHL cap hit.

KidCanuck*

They aren't on 2-way deals, so their AHL cap hit is the same as their NHL cap hit.

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.
Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper #NHL #NHLPA in serious talks exploring a resolution in #Canadiens Gomez #Rangers Redden situation. Both remain at home uninvited to camp

I am aware of that and don't think there is a cap in the AHL where they would receive the cap hit instead. It is Larry Brooks though, he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

What would make sense to me is they make an agreement with 30 NHL teams that they have the choice to either proceed as laid out in the new cba or they can specify who they will buy out in the summer and regardless if the player gets injured this season they will still be bought out and it will be legal. If they choose to address the issue. But by no means should the other 28 teams not get the same option as Montreal and New York.

If they choose to not address the issue then these 2 guys should just stay home and suck it up. They are being paid very well and if 2 players have to suffer for the betterment of the league then so be it. Not like they are not being taken care of very well.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I have a feeling anyone on our roster can be traded for at least a late pick (see. Booth or Ballard). I think Gillis would go this route before costing Ownership 8+ million to buy out a player for no return.

Buy out is for unmovable players like Gomez or Redden.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.
Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper #NHL #NHLPA in serious talks exploring a resolution in #Canadiens Gomez #Rangers Redden situation. Both remain at home uninvited to camp

I am aware of that and don't think there is a cap in the AHL where they would receive the cap hit instead. It is Larry Brooks though, he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

What would make sense to me is they make an agreement with 30 NHL teams that they have the choice to either proceed as laid out in the new cba or they can specify who they will buy out in the summer and regardless if the player gets injured this season they will still be bought out and it will be legal. If they choose to address the issue.

I think these 2 guys should just stay home and suck it up. They are being paid very well and if 2 players have to suffer for the betterment of the league then so be it. Not like they are not being taken care of very well.

Yeah I'm not too sure what Brooksy is talking about. Although, based on the new CBA I think Redden's cap hit in the AHL would be $5.8M or something like that, but I'm not sure what an extra $700k is in terms of buying out a high ticket player like Wade Redden.

I would be shocked if the NHL-NHLPA allowed both teams to use their compliance buy-outs early. What's stopping Ed Snider from complaining and asking to use one of his buy-outs on Bryzgalov? What about NYI and DiPietro? There are plenty of examples of teams that probably wouldn't mind using that buy-out early, but will end up having to wait until the summer because that's what was agreed upon.

KidCanuck*

I have a feeling anyone on our roster can be traded for at least a late pick (see. Booth or Ballard). I think Gillis would go this route before costing Ownership 8+ million to buy out a player for no return.

Buy out is for unmovable players like Gomez or Redden.

I didn't want to start a new thread but I am not referring to our situation but the situation of this particular instance where these 2 players get that option when the rest of the league doesn't.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
It isn't fair to the players that they can't play at least somewhere, even if it isn't in the NHL. Have the player sign a waiver saying he can't go on the LTIR if he plays somewhere else and gets injured or something.

KidCanuck*

Yeah I'm not too sure what Brooksy is talking about. Although, based on the new CBA I think Redden's cap hit in the AHL would be $5.8M or something like that, but I'm not sure what an extra $700k is in terms of buying out a high ticket player like Wade Redden.

I would be shocked if the NHL-NHLPA allowed both teams to use their compliance buy-outs early. What's stopping Ed Snider from complaining and asking to use one of his buy-outs on Bryzgalov? What about NYI and DiPietro? There are plenty of examples of teams that probably wouldn't mind using that buy-out early, but will end up having to wait until the summer because that's what was agreed upon.

Exactly. I'm sure plenty of teams would like this options even though they are playing their guys and risking injury. Again this may or may not include us, but need a level playing field. Will be interesting to see how this gets handled.

KidCanuck*

It isn't fair to the players that they can't play at least somewhere, even if it isn't in the NHL. Have the player sign a waiver saying he can't go on the LTIR if he plays somewhere else and gets injured or something.

Well that's the thing. I think they wouldn't sign the waiver. Even if these 2 players were allowed to renegotiate and say play for a million bucks on a 1 year contract for this season, they would opt not to. I believe the best way to solve this is to do nothing. Stay home, get your money, good luck next year. It's 2 guys......

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Exactly. I'm sure plenty of teams would like this options even though they are playing their guys and risking injury. Again this may or may not include us, but need a level playing field. Will be interesting to see how this gets handled.

For sure. I can guarantee you if the Bruins were one of the teams asking for an early buy-out they would be granted it almost immediately. Should be interesting now though...

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Well that's the thing. I think they wouldn't sign the waiver. Even if these 2 players were allowed to renegotiate and say play for a million bucks on a 1 year contract for this season, they would opt not to. I believe the best way to solve this is to do nothing. Stay home, get your money, good luck next year. It's 2 guys......

Doesn't matter, sitting at home hurts them and their ability to sign a better deal. If they don't want to sit at home, they shouldn't have to.

KidCanuck*

Doesn't matter, sitting at home hurts them and their ability to sign a better deal. If they don't want to sit at home, they shouldn't have to.

:( poor millionaires, have to sit out 48 games then sign a bad deal.....

KidCanuck*

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper
With new agreement, 1st buyout window will start prior 2 season opener. 2nd one remains in summer. Cap hit stays 4 rest of this season only

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie
So, as others reported, Gomez and Redden and any player for that matter can get an "accelerated compliance buyout" before Saturday's opener

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC
All teams will have option of using a compliance buyout now, as reported by @RealKyper. Catch is, for this season only, cap hit stays.

Teams such as NYR and MTL would take full cap hit on those players this season. But no cap hit next season.

Clubs will save 1/3 of players' actual salary this year - no cap benefit - by buying out now but players would get chance to sign elsewhere.

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC
After this season, new CBA rule is buyout counts against players' share of HRR but not against cap.

David Pagnotta@TheFourthPeriod
Benefit is saving team's overall $$... not cap space, but saves their pockets

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
It would be pointless for the Canucks to do this. The Rangers are only doing it because they don't think Redden can play at all and Montreal doesn't want Gomez around.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I think they are using the compliance buyout for 2013-14+ part of the contract but the Rangers have to wear the full AHL cap hit for 2012-13 season. They Rangers gain no benefit this season apart from being free of his contract ie no longer at risk of Redden injuring himself this season and not being able to be bought out. Meanwhile Redden is free of the Rangers to get on with his life.

I don't have a problem with this so long as the Rangers are on the hook for this seasons hit.

Ed Snider would still be on the hook for Bryz cap hit this year. He might as well play him, it's not like he's AHL bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->