Salary Cap: Buyout Candidates we could trade for?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The new CBA allows two amnesty buyouts.

The Leafs only have one serious candidate for buyout in Komisarek whose contracts isn't nearly as bad as most people think cause he makes 3.5 per year for only one more season. We could trade his contract for a worse contract with an asset (pick/prospect thrown in).

As the richest team in the league we will definitely be using that second amnesty buyout.

I really see Nonis acquiring a player only to buy him out this summer.

Recent examples of similar cap dump moves are:

-Kolzig which netted us a 4th (which we lost as it kind of was a cap circumvention trade)
-Lombardi which netted us Franson
-In 06 San Jose received a conditional first for taking on the Vladmir Malakhov contract

Who do people think we could get for from one of the poorer teams and what could we receive as compensation for taking on a bad contract?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I don't think we can trade for some one just to amnesty them. I don't think it works like that.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
Not that it matters but Im pretty sure the 4th was lost bc of Jonas frogren's signing bonus or something

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Not that it matters but Im pretty sure the 4th was lost bc of Jonas frogren's signing bonus or something

Officially yes it was lost cause of the Frogen deal. But it's heavily rumoured it was actually punishment for the Kolzig trade.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Officially yes it was lost cause of the Frogen deal. But it's heavily rumoured it was actually punishment for the Kolzig trade.

Or maybe Burke already knew what the punishment was going to be, so they acquired an additional fourth.

People seriously over think a lot of these things.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I would take on dipietro for a really crappy new contract.

These buyouts may be really good for us. Alot of capspace being freed up, some decent free agents plus a bunch of guys with contracts that are just too big. They still may be good players, but the contract just doesnt justify them staying.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The new CBA allows two amnesty buyouts.

The Leafs only have one serious candidate for buyout in Komisarek whose contracts isn't nearly as bad as most people think cause he makes 3.5 per year for only one more season. We could trade his contract for a worse contract with an asset (pick/prospect thrown in).

As the richest team in the league we will definitely be using that second amnesty buyout.

I really see Nonis acquiring a player only to buy him out this summer.

Recent examples of similar cap dump moves are:

-Kolzig which netted us a 4th (which we lost as it kind of was a cap circumvention trade)
-Lombardi which netted us Franson
-In 06 San Jose received a conditional first for taking on the Vladmir Malakhov contract

Who do people think we could get for from one of the poorer teams and what could we receive as compensation for taking on a bad contract?

Doesn't seem like those moves help very much at all. I say we mind our own business... Not worth the trouble.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Doesn't seem like those moves help very much at all. I say we mind our own business... Not worth the trouble.

Leafs are the richest team in the league. Amnesty means that it won't count against the cap.

I'm just wondering what a bad like say a 5 million contract nets a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad