Buying tickets for the WJHC in 2012?

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by octopi, Jan 12, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. octopi

octopi Registered User

I heard these were going on sale soon if not already, is there some place that can tell me whwre to buy them and which city specific events are held in?(My understanding is Calgary and Edmonton are splitting them)

I'd like to go to a game, preferably playoffs or medal round, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars or have to fight people for tickets.

I found a site, but it is listing "cheap seats" at $400 in Calgary which is a bit high....I guess there won't be anything additional opening up?

2. Shootmaster_44

Shootmaster_44 Registered User

From what I understand the entire tournament (in both cities) is sold out. You had to register for a priority draw and they picked people from that to be able to buy tickets. The draw has now closed, from what I understand they had 175,000 people enter the draw. The only option to buy tickets was an entire tournament package, so there won't likely be any tickets floating around from primary sources (i.e. the Tournament organizers or Ticketmaster).

If you want tickets, you will have to buy them from secondary sources. I'm in the same boat for that as well. I am hoping that I can get a pair of December 30th tickets in Edmonton and a December 31st pair in Calgary. I don't even care really who's playing in those days. I don't put a lot of stock in it, but a schedule was posted on the Wikipedia page for the tournament, but was taken off since it hasn't been officially announced. If the person who posted it was right, December 30th in Edmonton is US/Czechs and Denmark/Finland and December 31st in Calgary is Russia/Slovakia and Sweden/Switzerland (I think I have those right from memory).

I'm certain that if you aren't picky and have time to do so, that relegation round tickets will be easy enough to find. Granted those games are typically played in the morning/early afternoon of days when the majority of schoolkids and working people are back to their dayjobs. But I wouldn't mind taking in those games. In Saskatoon last year, I saw Slovakia play Latvia and it was a fun game. The crowd cheered for the Latvians and it was exciting even though the crowd was cheering for them somewhat facetiously.