Buying gloves (need advice)

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
So, I'm trying to get into hockey, and I'm slowly trying to acquire the necessary equipment (can't afford to do it all at once). So I'm looking to buy some gloves, and a had a few questions that I hoped you awesome, knowledgeable people could help me with.

1) When I went to buy skates, I was told to go to a LHS (great advice), since they can help fit you and recommend skates. For gloves, is this as important, or is fit more of just a personal preference thing? I'm not planning on buying gloves over the internet, I'd still want to go to a store and try them on, but the LHS by me is small and doesn't have a huge selection.

2) How much do you think is reasonable to spend on gloves (and are there any ones you would recommend)? Most of the stuff I read online is about the newest stuff - Supreme One90's, Vapor XXX, etc, which I'm guessing are more than I need and want to spend. Would the lower level models of those (Supreme 70, 50, or Vapor XX, XV) be about the level I'm looking for?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Definitely try on as many pairs as you can within your price range. Also, have a stick nearby so you can test out the feel when you grip. You definitely don't need a top of the line pro model, but I think $40-50 can get you a solid pair that has good protection that should last you more than a few seasons.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Some of the lower-end Vapor models are great deals. Like the X, or XVs.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
I've only owned one pair of gloves. I tried on a the 13", 14" and 15" previously and went with some 14" because I liked the size, then just ordered some ITech's on sale online. I'm probably not much help as I haven't owned any expensive gloves. I would say skates are where you want to spend most of your money/time, and gloves would be towards the bottom of that list....however, I took a slapper off the finger the other week and my finger was numb for hours (just glad it didn't break), so many nicer gloves would have kept that from happening (was the inside of the glove, though, so I don't think any have much padding there, and those that do people tend to remove it anyway to get a better feel).

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Gloves, like everything else is personal preference. Basically there's a few kinds of fit to choose from; loose, tight, what i called flaired cuff, split cuff and everything inbetween. Now don't get worried about the decisions because they really aren't that big of a difference.

NBH Supreme series = tight fitting glove. These are the supreme 30, 50, 70 and one90. Different palms through each model.
NBH XXX = medium tight on the palm big flair in the cuff, many consider it very loose. Very think nash palm... I wouldn't bother looking at these at your level.
NBH XX = medium tight on the palm, adjustable cuff. Not nearly as tight as the supremes but tighter than a traditional glove.
NBH XV = Very popular glove, similar to the XX but without the stretch nash palm. I'd recommend these.
Bauer(later will release the NBH) SDP = Traditional glove, looser than the XV and the XX. SDP pro has a double palm, the regular SDP has a single layer... great gloves.
Eastons = most eastons fit similar, medium tight with shorter fingers
Vectors = medium tight, great gloves. The pro model has a silicon grib that I'm not too big on.
Tacks = tradition fit, loose. Looser than the vectors, a bit bulkier too.
Mission = mostly medium tight, very confusing about models because they switch names too much. I really don't have the patience to go into detail with models. Higher end mission are fantastic gloves.
RBK = medium tight, similar fit as the vectors maybe a bit tighter
Eagle = loose, very well put together. Amazing customer service.
MIA = very similar to eagle
Salming = medium loose-ish a bit looser that the ones I've been calling medium tight. Hard to find, but very well put together and very light. Split cuff offers good mobility.
Almost forgot TPS gloves = Fit similar to Eastons, longer fingers. Very nice, a few of the models feature a removeable wrist strap that is very nice if you have longer arms and have trouble finding a glove that covers that gap under the elbow pads.

Don't know much about warrior gloves.

Last edited:

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I back tps gloves 100%. I've got three pairs of Bionic Pros right now and I love them all. When I was 14 I spent nearly all of my christmas money on a pair of eagles..never even wore them out of the garage. I had been wearing Bionics for two years before then and have stayed with the line for seven years now.

Last edited:

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
Wow, thanks for all the info guys! That's really helpful!

One more quick question. My hands tend to get really sweaty, are there any specific brands or model series that have especially good ventilation?

Thanks again!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Gloves, like everything else is personal preference. Basically there's a few kinds of fit to choose from; loose, tight, what i called flaired cuff, split cuff and everything inbetween. Now don't get worried about the decisions because they really aren't that big of a difference.

NBH Supreme series = tight fitting glove. These are the supreme 30, 50, 70 and one90. Different palms through each model.
NBH XXX = medium tight on the palm big flair in the cuff, many consider it very loose. Very think nash palm... I wouldn't bother looking at these at your level.
NBH XX = medium tight on the palm, adjustable cuff. Not nearly as tight as the supremes but tighter than a traditional glove.
NBH XV = Very popular glove, similar to the XX but without the stretch nash palm. I'd recommend these.
Bauer(later will release the NBH) SDP = Traditional glove, looser than the XV and the XX. SDP pro has a double palm, the regular SDP has a single layer... great gloves.
Eastons = most eastons fit similar, medium tight with shorter fingers
Vectors = medium tight, great gloves. The pro model has a silicon grib that I'm not too big on.
Tacks = tradition fit, loose. Looser than the vectors, a bit bulkier too.
Mission = mostly medium tight, very confusing about models because they switch names too much. I really don't have the patience to go into detail with models. Higher end mission are fantastic gloves.
RBK = medium tight, similar fit as the vectors maybe a bit tighter
Eagle = loose, very well put together. Amazing customer service.
MIA = very similar to eagle
Salming = medium loose-ish a bit looser that the ones I've been calling medium tight. Hard to find, but very well put together and very light. Split cuff offers good mobility.
Almost forgot TPS gloves = Fit similar to Eastons, longer fingers. Very nice, a few of the models feature a removeable wrist strap that is very nice if you have longer arms and have trouble finding a glove that covers that gap under the elbow pads.

Don't know much about warrior gloves.

You seem familiar with a few brands I've never put my hands on. Are there any gloves that offer greater wrist mobility than a pair of Eagles or XXX's?

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Whenever I look for a new pair of gloves I try on everything in site. Some are more comfortable then other but offer less protection. Some are very protective, but limit your mobility. Comfort and mobility are the most important things for me. I can live with a glove that isn't built to stop bullets, but I can wear something that doesn't feel right or gets in my way.

If you can find some Eagles in your price range, buy em.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
actually, I like the mobility of the TPS bionics. Although the wrist strap feels and looks like it might be restrictive it's not. Salmings are probably allow the most freedom of movement. I actually think my one90s are less restrictive than my eagles... BUT on the NBH logo is a soft spot that slashes can get through, oddly enough there's the same amount of padding there but it must just hit just right on the wrist to cause a lot of pain.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My last 3 gloves have been Easton Airs (like casts), Salmings, and XX's.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

stick9, which MIA model offers the most mobility?

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Don't forget when trying them on that you can break them in if they're too stiff.

I found doing push ups in your gloves really helps.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

stick9, which MIA model offers the most mobility?

I thought the MB22's mobility was better then the Eagle X70. But, I went with the X70's. MIA's are a very wide fitting glove, too wide for my hands.

I'm betting even though my LHS had plenty of MIA's in stock they only carried the MB22. The MB11 is a tighter fit. Probably perfect for my hands. The site says they have the same cuff set up as the MB22.

Awesome gloves though. If they had the MB11's. I would have dropped the extra cash and went with MIA's.

Last edited:

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
What kind of player are you? I know some who just have to put their hands 2 seconds in them, then throw them down to verify if they're good gloves :fight:

nni

Dec 29, 2005
gloves are all feel. brands that i like for other equipment didn't feel right at all and i had to go with another brand. as for hand sweat, its part of the game, most gloves have small breathe holes, but unless you can find a model with a lot of mesh, i wouldnt be concerned about it.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
All right, I went out today and ended up buying a pair of Mission 5500's. I definitely liked the tighter fitting gloves, they were the only ones where the wrist didn't feel absolutely enormous. From what little I know I'm quite happy with them :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad