Buy-Outs

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Gents,

Regarding the Buy-Outs of players whose salaries are presently below 450K and who we no longer wish to keep (in order to meet the new max roster size) - should we do those now prior to free agency so that those players are included in the prospect releases etc.???

Thanks

Matthew

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Not a bad idea, Matt. If people are submitting prospect releases to you, they could also submit buyouts, as long as they make it clear which are prospect releases and which are buyouts. The buyouts should include the amount they are having to apy to get the player off their books.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Great question Matt, as their are several guys on my roster in which I wish to buy out as well.

These buyouts are at 100% salary remaining correct?

And Doug, I'll go ahead and include my buyouts in my prospect releases to Matt then.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
From the HFNHL rulebook:

Starting after 2005-06, teams will be required to reduce their total team size (signed players and prospects) to 90 players. This must be done by August 1st, 2006. The following season, this will be reduced to 80. Teams will be given a one-time opportunity to buy-out any signed players this off-season at a cost of 100% of the player’s annual salary (which will not count toward their cap).​

Thanks to Sean for capturing our decision on this point, as I'd quite honestly forgotten how it was supposed to work.

Now to go write my buy-out list for Matt... ;)

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
If a player played all of last season in Europe, or outright retired from hockey alltogether, do we still need to buy them out if they have multiple years left on their contract?

If they would have to be bought out to be gone from the organization alltogether, could we instead let them be moved to our prospects list if we have room, and if so would we only have to pay them $50,000 or would we have to pay for remaining years on their contracts as well?

Thanks,

Mike McEwan
HFNHL LA Kings

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
If a player played all of last season in Europe, or outright retired from hockey alltogether, do we still need to buy them out if they have multiple years left on their contract?

If they would have to be bought out to be gone from the organization alltogether, could we instead let them be moved to our prospects list if we have room, and if so would we only have to pay them $50,000 or would we have to pay for remaining years on their contracts as well?

Thanks,

Mike McEwan
HFNHL LA Kings

Mike: Players who have officially retired by the start of next season will be removed from the roster list entirely. Players who were in Europe all of last season will be moved to the prospects list.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Players who were in Europe all of last season will be moved to the prospects list.

With this in mind, can I release (along with my other prospect releases) my players that played in Europe all last season (Steve Kelly, etc.) for free just like I am releasing other prospects for free? They're going to be on my prospects list soon, afterall.

Mike

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
With this in mind, can I release (along with my other prospect releases) my players that played in Europe all last season (Steve Kelly, etc.) for free just like I am releasing other prospects for free? They're going to be on my prospects list soon, afterall.

Mike

I believe so, Mike, but will confirm with the admin team.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I believe so, Mike, but will confirm with the admin team.

That's correct...ANYONE on the prospect list, regardless of how they got there, can be released.

At this point, I should probably point out that Kenny Jonsson should be on my prospect list, as I never released him.;)

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Can someone confirm that Vladimir Malahkov has actually officially retired? I need to know for sure before the free agency starts.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
19-Dec-05: Announced his retirement (disputed).

Hm..Will he count as a retired player in the hfnhl this coming season? His agents are claiming that Malakhov has not retired and is taking a leave of absence.

Lamoriello has rejected the request for a leave of absence and is treating Malakhov's absence as a retirement.

I cant afford to sign a defenseman on free agency for several millions just to find out that Mr Malahkov still will be playing next season.

Maybe I could just move Malahkov to my prospect list and not paying any salary? Kind of like when a player moves to Europe?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

Hm..Will he count as a retired player in the hfnhl this coming season? His agents are claiming that Malakhov has not retired and is taking a leave of absence.

Lamoriello has rejected the request for a leave of absence and is treating Malakhov's absence as a retirement.

I cant afford to sign a defenseman on free agency for several millions just to find out that Mr Malahkov still will be playing next season.

Maybe I could just move Malahkov to my prospect list and not paying any salary? Kind of like when a player moves to Europe?

He's still on the NHLPA site. That says a fair bit considering Steve Yzerman's name doesn't show up anymore.

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=3494

This will probably be an admin decision, but everything suggests Malakhov has not signed his retirement papers.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Now to go write my buy-out list for Matt... ;)

Looking it over, I could spend a little over $2 million on the buyouts I'd like to do, or I could be patient, keep people on the farm, and spend just under $400K as the contracts expire on their own over the next two years. Not needing the roster space it becomes a matter of optics and economics.

I'd love to get rid of the clutter (and constant reminder of scouting failure), but enough to spend an extra $1.5 million? I don't know about that... :shakehead :dunno:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Great question Matt, as their are several guys on my roster in which I wish to buy out as well.

These buyouts are at 100% salary remaining correct?

And Doug, I'll go ahead and include my buyouts in my prospect releases to Matt then.

The 100% of salary makes no sense especially when teams can move their unwanted players to Farm and pay 10% of the salary. I think the buyout should be reduced to 10% of total contract.

The other option is that contract should be signed as one way or two way and buyouts should be based on the contract terms.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The 100% of salary makes no sense especially when teams can move their unwanted players to Farm and pay 10% of the salary. I think the buyout should be reduced to 10% of total contract.

The other option is that contract should be signed as one way or two way and buyouts should be based on the contract terms.

Except that there is a new team limit for prospects and signed players of 90 and it will be 80 next season. Several teams will be faced with the reality of buying out players, as it is the best option versus losing a player with actual value.

For most teams, the 90 player rule is a non-factor, but for those who have consistently rolled the dice on marginal pro players knowing they could do just what you are saying - pay 10% of salary - this will become more of an issue. Especially with a new minimum salary of $450,000.

HFNHL Red Wings

I don't know how it can be the subject of dispute. Players have to officially submit retirement papers and so even if players like Malakov verbally announce their retirement as long as they do not submit papers thay can return.
Submitting retirement papers precludes you from playing for 1 year before you can 'unretire'

HFNHL Red Wings

From what I understand, you can release them as prospects. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. We have in the past allowed the outright release of players who are heading to Europe (link must be provided) but are still showing on the rosters page.

HFNHL Red Wings

We have revisited this on a few occassions in the past including exploring the very options you suggested and there is no simple answer.
The 10% option has been ruled out on many occassions for one simple reason. It would make it too easy for teams to bid up salaries during FA with long term deals on aging veterans and then be able to buy them out too easily with no commitment.
Two way contracts are not supported by the Sim and would be an adminstrative pain if we kept records on the side.
Technically, if we were to mimic the NHL, you would be required to buy a player out at 75% of the remaining NHL contract value.
The 100% of 1 year is a simplified compromise where you win on some and lose on others.

HFNHL Red Wings

Two questions:
1) When are these due?
2) Is there any restriction on the players that can be bought out?

We never specified a required date. In my mind it was anytime before the start of the preseason. While I have two that I'm buying outI had personally wanted to see what happened in free agency before making a decision on what to do for a 3rd player.

I do not recall us having defined any restrictions on who can be bought out. The only difference between this one time allowance and the buyout of players during the season was that this round would not apply against the cap while future one's will if that player was part of your top 21.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
We have revisited this on a few occassions in the past including exploring the very options you suggested and there is no simple answer.
The 10% option has been ruled out on many occassions for one simple reason. It would make it too easy for teams to bid up salaries during FA with long term deals on aging veterans and then be able to buy them out too easily with no commitment.
Two way contracts are not supported by the Sim and would be an adminstrative pain if we kept records on the side.
Technically, if we were to mimic the NHL, you would be required to buy a player out at 75% of the remaining NHL contract value.
The 100% of 1 year is a simplified compromise where you win on some and lose on others.

Drew,

I understand what you are saying. But if I have an option of either buying a player out at 100% or placing him on my minor for 10% then why would I choose to buy him out especially if I have room under 90 player.

I think we can do better by forcing teams to have player on HFNHL roster if a player has played certain number of games with NHL. For example, player such as Jon Klemm should not have been in the farm team because he is a vetern with more than 500 NHL games played and could have helped other teams if it wasn't for the contract.

Team should have an option of waiving players like him and if he is not taken than they should be forced to keep the player in the HFNHL or releasing by paying the 100% of one year salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad