Speculation: Buy-Out Beauchemin

outoftune

Nov 16, 2011
1000 Chopper Circle
With the expansion draft coming up and the buy-out period taking place prior to the draft, will the avs buy-out Francois to allow for 7 forwards and 3 d-men to be protected in the expansion draft.

He has been absolutely awful this year and should be bought-out. Extra incentive-if Colorado does do this they will be able to protect all of Soda, Comeau, Colborne and Grigs rather than just 1 of them.

Will the avs be smart enough to buy-out beauchamin or will a buy-out not be necessary and he agree to waive his NTC to keep a job?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
With the expansion draft coming up and the buy-out period taking place prior to the draft, will the avs buy-out Francois to allow for 7 forwards and 3 d-men to be protected in the expansion draft.

He has been absolutely awful this year and should be bought-out. Extra incentive-if Colorado does do this they will be able to protect all of Soda, Comeau, Colborne and Grigs rather than just 1 of them.

Will the avs be smart enough to buy-out beauchamin or will a buy-out not be necessary and he agree to waive his NTC to keep a job?

Oh yeah, you definitely need those guys. Just protect Comeau and move on.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not sure they currently have 7 forwards they feel they must to protect. May change, but for now I think they would rather use Beauch than buy him out unlike the Stuart situation.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Whatever happens there's no real issue here. The 4 guys you listed aren't guys you need to worry about losing. If two of the four heat up and look valuable going forward (honestly the only possibility to me is Grigorenko. Even if Soderberg catches fire I'd like to expose him to try and rid that contract now) you either buy Beauchemin out since the Avs are rolling in cap space or maybe he waives his NMC.

Outside of the goaltending situation which is also looking like less of a fear by the day the Avs don't really have any concerns with expansion.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
it is sad, but the reality is that this team only have three forwards that need protection. all the others could leave tomorrow and wouldn`t be missed. the guys you listed are average at best and considering the contracts of some... it would be a blessing if Vegas picked Soderberg from us. comparing with Beauchemin, Soda is signed for similar money but for longer.

of course, if they could find a way to escape from Beauchemin`s NMC, that would be nice anyways. they could then explore their ability to protect someone else on the market, since a lot of interesting names are bound to be exposed and lost for nothing, meaning their value (for us to acquire) will be in an all-time low.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

In that case, give him a job for life.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
$4.5 million in dead space is too much to absorb. I agree they should try to trade him, but buying out shouldn't be on the table.

And as someone else said...the only forwards I would keep are Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, and Comeau, which Colorado can still do if they protect four defensemen.

Soderberg definitely needs to be exposed. It would be a huge bonus if the Avalanche could rid themselves of his contract; he's completely fallen off.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
$4.5 million in dead space is too much to absorb. I agree they should try to trade him, but buying out shouldn't be on the table.

And as someone else said...the only forwards I would keep are Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, and Comeau, which Colorado can still do if they protect four defensemen.

Soderberg definitely needs to be exposed. It would be a huge bonus if the Avalanche could rid themselves of his contract; he's completely fallen off.

I'd rather buy him out and have the dead cap hit, than carry his corpse around the roster next year. I highly doubt anyone will want to trade for him as they'll have to protect him in the expansion draft.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'd rather buy him out and have the dead cap hit, than carry his corpse around the roster next year. I highly doubt anyone will want to trade for him as they'll have to protect him in the expansion draft.

I don't think they will have to protect him. My understanding is once he waives his no trade clause, it doesn't carry over to his new team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think they will have to protect him. My understanding is once he waives his no trade clause, it doesn't carry over to his new team.

That isn't true. Hartnell waived his NMC and it still applies to Columbus.

I don't think the Avs will buy out Beauch with the way the season has gone. There isn't more than 3 forwards worth protecting so they have the space to protect Beauch and then try to ship him somewhere after the expansion draft with retention.

Moby Stick

Jul 25, 2016
Denver
Of all the NHL teams, I think we have the least worries going in to the expansion draft. If we lose Colbourne that is just addition by subtraction. He's a tall pilon. I'd like to give Grigo another year, but if we lose him we are not losing a GREAT player. Soda's contract value is not in line with what he has shown this year, so that's not a huge loss. I'd protect Comeau as the 4th forward if we are unable to move Beauchemin. There is nothing that is going to make Beauchemin worth $4.5MM at this point, but if he is good in the room, can impart some wisdom to the kids, and is playing sheltered minutes or regularly scratched his last year then it isn't the end of the World. We are not going to be a cap team next year with the number of ELC's that should be on the roster, and we will not get any cap relief by buying him out.

If he is a bitter old geezer/beacon of negativity going into next season, then yes, by all means, buy him out.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I don't see how the expansion draft will come into play here. The Avs don't have so many players worth protecting that they need to be too concerned about it.

I doubt they buy out Beauchemin. My guess is they'll either trade him for a similarly underwhelming salary dump in return, or they'll live with him for another season.

My hope is that this is the very last multiyear $4-6M per year contract the Avs give to a 35+ year old UFA.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Of all the NHL teams, I think we have the least worries going in to the expansion draft. If we lose Colbourne that is just addition by subtraction. He's a tall pilon. I'd like to give Grigo another year, but if we lose him we are not losing a GREAT player. Soda's contract value is not in line with what he has shown this year, so that's not a huge loss. I'd protect Comeau as the 4th forward if we are unable to move Beauchemin. There is nothing that is going to make Beauchemin worth $4.5MM at this point, but if he is good in the room, can impart some wisdom to the kids, and is playing sheltered minutes or regularly scratched his last year then it isn't the end of the World. We are not going to be a cap team next year with the number of ELC's that should be on the roster, and we will not get any cap relief by buying him out.

If he is a bitter old geezer/beacon of negativity going into next season, then yes, by all means, buy him out.

While I agree that Soderberg hasn't been very good this season, I still believe that he's a player the Avs could use on their team moving forward. He has offensive skill, is not a dummy out there on the ice, and could fill in the 2C position for a time in case of injury.

Analyzing which current Avs players are going to be good players moving forward is challenging right now. The entire roster is playing very poor hockey - just about all of them - and I believe that at least some of these guys have much better hockey within them somewhere. If we judge them wholly based upon the last 60 days, and decide to move a bunch of guys, we're going to be selling low. We could end up with Boston-like Seguin regret here in the near future if Sakic isn't careful in terms of how he deals with this roster.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Just retain half of it and trade him.

He clearly is pissed off with this team and @2.25M someone will take a chance on him and probably even give up something worth our while at the deadline.

That is a decent caphit for a bottom pairing guy who can play PK and has a decent history of leadership and production.

Someone will gamble on him bouncing back away from the tirefire that is the 2016/17 Avs.

Same as with Iginla.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't understand the CBA enough to know this myself but I always see people arguing about if a NMC is waived if that exempts the NMC for the new team. If this is the case I can see it being an issue with Beauchemin being asked to move. If that's not the case and Beauchemin has control over future moves if he gets traded I think he'd waive to go to Montreal yesterday.

Montreal definitely aren't drooling over him but if we retained some salary or took a cap dump I bed they'd like to take him on. The only cap dump they have that goes into next year is Plekanec though and he has more value to that organization than we see as Avs fans. It's a down year but he doesn't have negative value.

I'd easily do DD + 3rd for Beauchemin 50% retained

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He will be traded or bought out. If he's not then I will have lost what little confidence I have in Sakic and his staff to build a winner.

I feel like right now they're trying like hell to save face. They know putting a guy they just put the A on in the press box is going to look bad. But here's the thing, they can't look much worse than they do right now, so I say, bubble-wrap him. Send him home and tell him to skate on his own away from the team until he is traded or his contract is bought out. He only hurts what little trade value he has every time he takes a shift. And I don't think Sakic is quite savvy enough to sell a bag of **** like #32 to an unsuspecting GM (though how could any GM, even Benning or Bergevin, not plainly see that he's done?).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He will be traded or bought out. If he's not then I will have lost what little confidence I have in Sakic and his staff to build a winner.

Okay, yeah. Beauchemin being around for a year or not has nothing to do with building a winner long term.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

The team trading for a player that has waived his NMC can choose to honor it if they want, but they are under no obligation to do so in the CBA. If I recall correctly, Preds didn't even honor the NMC Weber signed in the Philly offer sheet despite Weber's agent being quite upset about it.

Many players only agree to waive their NMC if the other team agrees to honor it. I suspect that would be the case with Beauchemin.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The team trading for a player that has waived his NMC can choose to honor it if they want, but they are under no obligation to do so in the CBA. If I recall correctly, Preds didn't even honor the NMC Weber signed in the Philly offer sheet despite Weber's agent being quite upset about it.

Many players only agree to waive their NMC if the other team agrees to honor it. I suspect that would be the case with Beauchemin.

Because that's a rule tied to offer sheets and signing of new contracts, if a guy is traded before the new contract kicks in or if the OS is matched all the clauses are voided, and I'm pretty sure that the team that trades for a guy that has a NMC has to honor it, otherwise no one would waive.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Okay, yeah. Beauchemin being around for a year or not has nothing to do with building a winner long term.

Oh it definitely does. It shows me this organization would rather keep a completely useless player for another year instead of doing something that, short-term, will be ugly as all hell, but necessary. This situation has long since passed "untenable." Something needs to be done and it needs to be done NOW.

They let this stretch out for another ****ing year then I'm done with Sakic.

just keep him then move him next deadline for something. There's only 3 forwards who need to be protected anyway

There is no way in hell he will make it to next deadline. He's already playing at a sub-NHL level. He has almost nonexistent trade value. Either a deal gets done now or it never gets done.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh it definitely does. It shows me this organization would rather keep a completely useless player for another year instead of doing something that, short-term, will be ugly as all hell, but necessary. This situation has long since passed "untenable." Something needs to be done and it needs to be done NOW.

They let this stretch out for another ****ing year then I'm done with Sakic.

But I don't see what buying him out accomplishes compared to waiting it out. If you need to do it for subsequent moves, sure. But we're not in a difficult position and I don't see opportunities like that being there that require clearing that much cap. If they ride it out they won't have the buyout on the cap later, even if it's not that much.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Why buy him out when you can just send him down to the AHL. Yeah he has a NMC so what. The way around that is bench him for the rest of the year until he waives it. Problem solved. Like when Montreal didn't play Gomez so they could buy him out. Same thing.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Can the Avs send everyone to Vegas? Beauchemin, Tyutin, Goloubef, Iginla, Colborne, Comeau, Gelinas, Mitchell, McLeod can all go

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like how in less than a year this team has gone from sending assets to Vegas saying "please don't take our guys" to sending assets to Vegas saying "PLEEEEEASE TAKE OUR GUYS!!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad