News Article: Button's top 50 affilitated prospects

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Craig Button's updated top 50 affiliated prospect list is out today

my favourite line in the article is
On the team side, the Ottawa Senators lead the way with five players in the top 50 – Belleville Senators defenceman Erik Brannstrom (No. 24), Ives Tampere blueliner Lassi Thomson (No. 32), University of North Dakota defenceman Jacob Bernard-Docker (No. 42), Belleville centre Josh Norris (No. 44) and North Dakota forward Shane Pinto (No. 50).

https://www.tsn.ca/russian-players-...ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1424251

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Craig Button's updated top 50 affiliated prospect list is out today

my favourite line in the article is
On the team side, the Ottawa Senators lead the way with five players in the top 50 – Belleville Senators defenceman Erik Brannstrom (No. 24), Ives Tampere blueliner Lassi Thomson (No. 32), University of North Dakota defenceman Jacob Bernard-Docker (No. 42), Belleville centre Josh Norris (No. 44) and North Dakota forward Shane Pinto (No. 50).

https://www.tsn.ca/russian-players-...ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1424251

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've never seen an analysis that makes rankings with so much recency bias like Button does
For sure....look at all the 18 year olds on the list....with 2020 expected to be a big draft, this list will have major turnover next year

Reactions: DJB

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Surprised Button didn't make a mistake and make #3 Byramov...

Also Kaliyev at 16 and Pinto at 50? Weird list

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mentioned it in the other thread but only 13 guys from last years list made the list and very few 21 year old or older prospects. The ones that are 21 or older are mostly goalies or in the khl or ncaa.

I think he is either very heavily weighting age or really inconsistent with when he graduates a prospect.

Edit of note last year we just had batherson 23rd and formenton 25th. Now both are off the list but having solid seasons.

Reactions: NB613

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wasn’t David Rundblad the #1 prospect in hockey before he got to Ottawa?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wasn’t David Rundblad the #1 prospect in hockey before he got to Ottawa?

Are you talking before he was traded or before he made the jump to NA? Before he was traded, absolutely not, he had his crazy year in the SHL after we acquired him.

In terms of before he made that jump to the AHL/NHL, not that I recall but he was well up there on the list.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I've never seen an analysis that makes rankings with so much recency bias like Button does

That list is an absolute joke lol. He doesnt take age into account on any level when projecting the end game for these players and if you didnt play in the WJC except if you are Harley then you are no good anymore.

Nice to see all the sens but the list literally makes absolutely no sense.

For example Jenik is a good prospect but he is a year older than Mcmichael and simply is not as good a prospect but is 12 spots ahead. Who knows why Batherson isnt on there haha.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So Batherson goes from 23rd to off the list despite leading the AHL in scoring?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe these guys at TSN don’t have enough time to deliver proper content. It’s like Seravellis Core 4 under 24. They just get told to pump out their click bait.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Button said it's because he feels Batherson is up for good. That's why he wasn't included.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes 5 in the top-50 but what are the criterias that make Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Rudolf Balcers and heck, even Vitaly Abramov and Alex Formenton out of the equation?

I can understand if Christian Wolanin is considered graduated when it's different criterias than HF (under 25 y/o and under 65 NHL games) but don't see why some of the 5 mentioned above would not be there, unless you have a very low threshold for NHL games played (20?) In that case, Brannstrom has 33 NHL games... It makes absolutely no sense.

Also, Norris 44th? What makes Cole Caufield #10 (and many others ranked before Norris) and Norris far down the list? Norris has 20 goals and 14 assists in 35 games in his 20 y/o AHL rookie year... His overall game is also much deeper than Caufield, who has an incredible ability to score but if he's not scoring... Caufield should be able to make the NHL on this ability alone but he's still smaller than my kids.

Colin White and Nick Paul are graduated, but look at the list below : Brown, Balcers, Brannstrom, Batherson and Abramov all over PPG. Norris very very close and Formenton while "only" 0.74 PPG has 16 goals in 34 games. It's not because the club is stacked with very good AHL veterans. No, the prospects do that by themselves.

TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

I know it will sound homerish but Sens really have 10 prospects that should be at least flirting with that top-50. I know it's crazy but it's also expected when you traded players like Karlsson, Stone and Duchene for futures (Norris, Balcers, Brannstrom, Thomson and Abramov are a direct result of these trades)

Also, 4 goalies in the top-13? Why do people still make lists including goalies and skaters?

Finally, let's be honest, Shane Pinto should be the undisputed #1

Buffoon's list is not really the NHL prospects bible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He probably came up with that list in 2 minutes and takes it far less seriously than the readers

Reactions: GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On the bright side, if Button and his TSN colleagues think Brannstrom, JBD, Thomas, Norris and Pinto are all better than:

- the AHL leading scorer (Batherson),
- the AHL's leader in pts per game 15+gp (Balcers), and
- Formenton who is 2nd in rookie goals in the AHL,

then that's pretty nice to hear.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad