News Article: Butterfly goalie story

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
"Zach Fucale, who I work with here with the Mooseheads is a 19-year-old kid, but his hips and his knees look like they're beginning to wear down already. He needs more therapy than he did as a 16-year-old here in Halifax."

What...the...****... :speechles

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Yeah... having watched Fucale live at a summer camp, I don't see any hip/knee troubles. His lateral movement was spectacular, he bounced off his knees like springs and he was poised. He also called plays for his defenseman, something I did not see from any goaltender of any other team during camp.

Don't know who this guy is, but he's wrong. Like... terrible wrong. Terri-wrong.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Yeah... having watched Fucale live at a summer camp, I don't see any hip/knee troubles. His lateral movement was spectacular, he bounced off his knees like springs and he was poised. He also called plays for his defenseman, something I did not see from any goaltender of any other team during camp.

Don't know who this guy is, but he's wrong. Like... terrible wrong. Terri-wrong.

You need to learn to read better. He never said Fucale as slow, he just said he needs therapy.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
You need to learn to read better. He never said Fucale as slow, he just said he needs therapy.

I never said that's what he said, just that those knee/hip problems aren't showing, at least not to me during the games. Maybe you need to read between the lines a bit more? :dunno:

But I was a step out of line with my last paragraph.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
I never said that's what he said, just that those knee/hip problems aren't showing, at least not to me during the games. Maybe you need to read between the lines a bit more? :dunno:

But I was a step out of line with my last paragraph.

I think the article was about longevity of career rather than immediate impact on player.

I highly doubt Price will hit 40 in a starter role... His knees/hips will be busted by then :(

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I never said that's what he said, just that those knee/hip problems aren't showing, at least not to me during the games.
He is still 19, so whatever problems he may be having are probably relatively easily treated at this point. All the therapist said is that he's needing to work with Zach more, and that Zach seems to be wearing. Who knows, Zach may end up being a goalie who has a short pro career. It happens.

He had similar comments about Carey Price, for that matter; he's now requiring therapy almost daily, whereas just three years ago he barely needed any. I bet we're within three years of having to be more careful with his workload; i.e. cut him back to less than 60 games in the regular season.

Dec 2, 2010
Therapy is common these days now that juniors are training similar to the pros. The harder you push yourself, the more rest you need after.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
being a goalie myself .. now im 36.. always played for fun.. im not in great shape.. I get sore knees and hips and groin everytime I get off the ice.. so I can understand the concerns... emery's surgery is some what amazing.. now he's still playing in the NHL is quite remarkable!

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
being a goalie myself .. now im 36.. always played for fun.. im not in great shape.. I get sore knees and hips and groin everytime I get off the ice.. so I can understand the concerns... emery's surgery is some what amazing.. now he's still playing in the NHL is quite remarkable!

I'm 38

Curious, did you ever do the Johnny Bower skate kick saves when you were young?

I transformed to butterfly around 13 yes old via Patrick Roy and I get knee pains. Thousands of up and down reps pay a price on your body.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I'm 38

Curious, did you ever do the Johnny Bower skate kick saves when you were young?

I transformed to butterfly around 13 yes old via Patrick Roy and I get knee pains. Thousands of up and down reps pay a price on your body.

started to play hockey at 20... never was a good skater and that's why I never played when I was young... started to play for fun in a beer league.. moved up the ranks and im playing with the best players in our city.. Played 4 times vs Guy Lafleur and played once vs Claude Giroux. My skating is still my biggest weakness.. I was always a butterfly goalie.. Now im more hybrid because of the pain in my hips...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I thought it was fairly well known that the butterfly was hard on your knees, groin, etc. ?? :dunno:

Hard on the knees, yes. But, imagine living in Tokyo, if the Chaos Theory was reality, a goalie flaps his arms and legs in NA and Hurricanes rock their world in the Far East.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad