Butch's top 150 Prospect List

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Mason Appleton and le petit (brendan) lemieux should be on list. Perhaps near 140 mark. Appleton is Leading rookie scorer in ahl.

Jets very well represented already with at least 7.

He intrigued me last year with Michigan , good skilz package for a big boy but i see him very soon in the season for watch Kyle Connor and he play a bad game . it always takes a period of adaptation to play against the pros , so i see him in that adaptation . I see his stats so i had noticed myself watching a Moose game after Christmas , very intrigued in him . Probably he should deserve a spot , just lack of seeing play . My friends Francis Beauvillier play there , so i will probably go at Rockets when Manitoba is in town

Lemieux has simply no offensive upside ( i know he have a good season in NHL) but for NHL , the only points he will make is at crashing the net . I wan't some guys like this in my team , who's disturb and hit and play a ''passionate game'' but not had the skills to making it

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I was assuming Heinen, Bjork and McAvoy were all not considered eligible for this list. Bjork was in the NHL all season until yesterday.

If McCoy would be in , i think is very closer to #1 spot , and Bjork top 30 easily

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Interesting list, well done!

Just looking through the Leafs rankings, and I find them intriguing.

10. Liljegren
59. Kapanen
89. Woll (Any reason why he isn't in the goalie category?)
111. Nielsen
115. Dermott
117. Rasanen
143. Korshkov

My current Leaf's rankings are as followed:
1) Liljegren
2) Dermott
3) Kapanen
4) Korshkov
5) Woll
6) Grundstrom
7) Rasanen
8) Johnsson
9) Nielsen
10) Timashov

HM: Bracco, Brooks, Sparks, Rychel, Kara, Scott

I know Leafs fans are very high and Dermott , maybe i miss something . but we must take into head that i'm not concentred at all of one team , so i may be wrong on the individual ranking of the prospects of each team . After your comment , Marlies are on top of my list to watch them soon

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Will Borgen is good enough for the US Olympic team, he's good enough for this list. Same as the three other prospects on the team, who should be higher.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Include all player who is not established in NHL
What I saw from some CHL game, NCAA, U17, U18 - U20, Jrn A challenge, Memorial Cup, Rookie tournament and pre-season. I don't see the games in europe (Liiga,SHL,KHL) therefore international tournaments is really important for me to evaluate them. The problem is that it's small tournaments in a short time , so i don't have the best vision for some Euro player
s

This is a nit to pick but you have Kyle Connor at number 4 with 55 NHL games, Tyson Jost with 24 games, Tuch with 42 games, etc but Debrusk, Heinen and McAvoy are all missing with 34, 42 and 38 GP, respectively. I'd guess removing Connor, Tuch and Jost would be more prudent than adding those three but if you don't want to omit them, I don't see how you can omit the trio from Boston.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Again is not about 1
This is a nit to pick but you have Kyle Connor at number 4 with 55 NHL games, Tyson Jost with 24 games, Tuch with 42 games, etc but Debrusk, Heinen and McAvoy are all missing with 34, 42 and 38 GP, respectively. I'd guess removing Connor, Tuch and Jost would be more prudent than adding those three but if you don't want to omit them, I don't see how you can omit the trio from Boston.

Just put in ranking all player that they not spend all game in NHL like Tuch and Jost . McCavoy Debrusk and Heinen had 0 game played out of NHL when i have finalise the ranking . McCavoy go probably 1 , Heinen in the top 25 and Debrusk top 60

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Chytil is the most skilled player there though.. Andersson isn’t exactly that skilled though coming from a Rangers fan. He just thinks the game highly and has a better shot

Andersson is a game changer with better specific upside for have a dominant game in what he do the best . Chytil is a super strong Center , with a surprising good speed with a good IQ but i think he's close to are ceiling while i expect that Andersson could become a soul player with 60+ pts per year

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Just curious... why are Jost and Chabot included on your list but not Hishier and Patrick?

The Avs fan in me loves to see Makar at #1 even though my brain may not necessarily agree.

Good one.

Beacause Jost and Chabot played AHL .

Patrick goes not in top 5 , Hischier probably ahead of Makar

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
No Devon Toews? Since you have Aho and Vande Sompel, I think Toews should be somewhere in your ranking.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It's so hard to do this, but I think this is a pretty good and interesting list. Even if I disagree with some.

Respect your commitment to actually explain/back up your ranking.

Reactions: ruffus23

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
100 to 160 is pretty random but never that Dermott has such a big gap with Nielsen . Dermott is pretty good offensively and play a smart game but he is still a small left defensemen who does not have the wow factor . No dominant skills at all . Nielsen is big and strong with a very good shot . He don't have the IQ of Dermott but still had a good first pass . If you have Dermott ahead of Nielsen i understand but never that Nielsen and Dermott had this gap in my book . You probably see Marlies more often so maybe you're right too
Dermott definitely has wow factor. he's fast as hell.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The gap is pretty significant. Dermott is the Leafs 3rd best prospect, Neilson somewhere around 7-10. Personally I have him ranked lower (just going with a consensus) as he has major skating issues, laterally, pivoting etc. He gets exposed on the regular. His decision making leaves alot to be desired as well.

I can't see Nielsen being 7th on any leafs list. he's lower than Dermot but he's had flashes of phenomenal play. kapanen, dermott, liljegren, not much else before nielsen.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I can't see Nielsen being 7th on any leafs list. he's lower than Dermot but he's had flashes of phenomenal play. kapanen, dermott, liljegren, not much else before nielsen.

Dermott, Liljegren, Kapanen, Johnsson, Grundstrum, Borgman and Korshkov all clearly ahead, IMO.

Depending on where you stand arguments can be made for Bracco, Rasanen, Woll, Rosen, Aaltonen, Rychel etc.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Include all player who is not established in NHL
What I saw from some CHL game, NCAA, U17, U18 - U20, Jrn A challenge, Memorial Cup, Rookie tournament and pre-season. I don't see the games in europe (Liiga,SHL,KHL) therefore international tournaments is really important for me to evaluate them. The problem is that it's small tournaments in a short time , so i don't have the best vision for some Euro player

I'm a french canadian who does not speak English very well . I have a description for every player in top 50 in french but translate it into English is too long for me . If you have any question about these player or question about my rankings , i will do my best , but keep in head that i'm not talk well your languages

My first list is there , one year ago . Keller was 1 , McCavoy 3 , Boeser 11 , Girard 19 . If I look at it a year later, I think it's a decent list

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/butch-list-115.2178829/

1. Cale Makar
  2. Thomas Chabot
  3. Ellias Petterson
  4. Kyle Connor
  5. Tyson Jost
  6. Kirill Kaprizov
  7. Jesse Puljujarvi
  8. Eeli Tolvanen
  9. Casey Mittelstadt
  10. Timothy Liljegren
  11. Miro Heinskanen
  12. Martin Necas
  13. Lias Andersson
  14. Adam Fox
  15. Nick Suzuki
  16. Dylan Strome
  17. Klim Kostin
  18. Oli Juolevi
  19. Kristian Vesalainen
  20. Janne Kuokkonen
  21. Filip Chytil
  22. Ryan Poehling
  23. Kale Clague
  24. Dante Fabbro
  25. Tage Thompson
  26. Alex Tuch
  27. Luke Kunin
  28. Robert Thomas
  29. Phillipe Myers
  30. Victor Mete
  31. Cal Foote
  32. Jordan Greenway
  33. Erik Brannstrom
  34. Juuso Valimaki
  35. Jack Roslovic
  36. Joel Eriksson-Ek
  37. Logan Brown
  38. Kailer Yammamoto
  39. Alexander Nylander
  40. Connor Timmins
  41. Aleksi Heponiemi
  42. Sam Steel
  43. Cody Glass
  44. Kieffer Bellows
  45. Rasmus Andersson
  46. Henri Jokiharju
  47. Colin White
  48. Owen Tippet
  49. Gabriel Villardi
  50. Michael Rasmussen
  51. Denis Malgin
  52. Josh Ho-Sang
  53. Troy Terry
  54. Daniel Sprong
  55. Julius Honka
  56. Michael McLoed
  57. Sebastian Aho
  58. Jacob Forbascka-Karlsson
  59. Kasperi Kapanen
  60. Henrik Borgstrom
  61. Adam Gaudette
  62. Jordan Kyrou
  63. Taylor Raddysh
  64. Gabriel Carlsson
  65. Chad Krys
  66. Josh Norris
  67. Josh Mahura
  68. Anthony De Angelo
  69. Jake Bean
  70. Sami Niku
  71. Nikolay Guldobin
  72. Nicolas Hague
  73. Jacob Larsson
  74. Olivier Kylington
  75. Brendan Guhle
  76. Cliff Pu
  77. Vitaly Abramov
  78. Rasmus Asplund
  79. Oscar Lindblom
  80. Wade Allison
  81. Jonathan Dahlen
  82. Trent Frederic
  83. Caleb Jones
  84. Noah Juulsen
  85. Nicolas Roy
  86. Jake Evans
  87. Vladislav Kamenev
  88. Evgeni Svechnikov
  89. Jonathan Dahlen
  90. Max Gildon
  91. Dylan Samberg
  92. Ryan Donato
  93. Denis Gurianov
  94. Julien Gauthier
  95. Aapeli Rasanen
  96. Max Jones
  97. Pier-Olivier Joseph
  98. Alexandre Texier
  99. Drake Batherson
  100. Riley Tufte
  101. Anatoly Golishev
  102. Mike Amadio
  103. Urho Vaakanainen
  104. Andrei Mironov
  105. Cam Morrison
  106. Dennis Cholowski
  107. Morgan Frost
  108. Adam Mascherin
  109. Kole Lind
  110. Shane Bowers
  111. Andrew Nielsen
  112. Michael Dal Colle
  113. Alex Formenton
  114. Tanner Laczynski
  115. Travis Dermott
  116. Nic Merkley
  117. Eemeli Rasanen
  118. Lucas Johansen
  119. Jonah Gadjovich
  120. Anthony Cirelli
  121. Samuel Morin
  122. Libor Hajek
  123. Tyler Stenbergen
  124. Joni Ikonen
  125. Lukas Elvenes
  126. Jesper Boqvist
  127. Patrick Harper
  128. Joey Anderson
  129. Boris Katchouk
  130. Nikita Scherbak
  131. Nic Petan
  132. Steleo Matthoes
  133. Maxim Comtois
  134. Jason Robertson
  135. Otto Koivula
  136. Jeremy Lauzon
  137. German Rubstov
  138. Marcus Davidsson
  139. Ethan Bear
  140. Dillon Dube
  141. Zach Senyshin
  142. Rudolf Balcers
  143. Yegor Korshov
  144. Mathieu Joseph
  145. Kyle Wood
  146. Logan Stanley
  147. Eetu Tuulola
  148. Ryan Lindgren
  149. Jacob Moverare
  150. Yakov Trenin
  151. Mitchell Vande Sompel
  152. Jonas Rondberg
  153. Erik Foley
  154. Yegor Sharangovich
Goalie :
Igor Shestorkyn
Filip Gustavsson
Ilya Samsonov
Tchatcher Demko
Ilya Sorokin
Carter Hart
Colton Pont
Connor Ingram
Jake Oettinger
Tyler Parsons

Looked for Kyrou and when I saw him at 62 I disregarded this list entirely

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
For goalies I would add 4th round pick Jeremy Swayman from Maine who is having a better year then his 2 USA team mates Woll and Jake Oettinger. Shame the Bruins pick never got a chance to play in the Juniors.

Ryan Donato may climb higher as he was picked to represent Team USA for the Olympics and is playing great at Harvard. He was just named National Division I Player of the Month for December.

Anders Bjork is not on the list, should be in the top 20 easily. He went down to Providence Bruins and has 4 pts in 3 games so far for the 5th round pick. There is no room for him on the team now as it is firing on all cylinders but for sure he gets back if an injury happens.

You could probably add Peter Cehlarik to this too, NHL calibre player who ran into injury problems this year. On a lesser team he is playing in the top 9, again no room for him either.

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Dermott, Liljegren, Kapanen, Johnsson, Grundstrum, Borgman and Korshkov all clearly ahead, IMO.

Depending on where you stand arguments can be made for Bracco, Rasanen, Woll, Rosen, Aaltonen, Rychel etc.

borgman has played every game with the leafs this year. not really a prospect. grundstrom, korshkov, probably similar talent level but Nielsen is at least playing in the organization. Johnsson is d+4 and not a lick of the NHL. talented kid but he's obviously not developing at a torrid pace.

either way these are all a tier below and differentiating between them is nitpicking. short of Johnsson he's shown the most in the AHL, and he's got years on johnsson.

39 points in 75 games is damn good for a rookie dman in the AHL at 20 with good size. I think you're over rating some of the others, but as I say, I don't care because none if them are A level prospect.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
For goalies I would add 4th round pick Jeremy Swayman from Maine who is having a better year then his 2 USA team mates Woll and Jake Oettinger. Shame the Bruins pick never got a chance to play in the Juniors.

Ryan Donato may climb higher as he was picked to represent Team USA for the Olympics and is playing great at Harvard. He was just named National Division I Player of the Month for December.

Anders Bjork is not on the list, should be in the top 20 easily. He went down to Providence Bruins and has 4 pts in 3 games so far for the 5th round pick. There is no room for him on the team now as it is firing on all cylinders but for sure he gets back if an injury happens.

You could probably add Peter Cehlarik to this too, NHL calibre player who ran into injury problems this year. On a lesser team he is playing in the top 9, again no room for him either.

so basically, if someone wanted to summarize your post, it would say "I feel that every single Bruins prospect should be higher".

Reactions: Catbug

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Great job!
You obviously put a great deal of thought into this list and it shows.
Looking back at your list from last year you also had a pretty good track record. Appreciate the hard work.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Leafs fans last year ''The Leafs best prospect after Kapanen is Andrew Nielsen (maybe he is 3rd to Grundstrom). Personally, I'd switch him from Bracco.''

Time fly
You realize the Leafs didn't have Liljegren at this time last year, so the top 2 WAS Dermott and Kapanen, right? After Kapanen you can put Nielsen or Bracco or Grundstrom. So yeah, Kapanen/Dermott were pretty clearly the top two prospects and still are, and yes, it's possible that Nielsen has dropped a bit. I'd definitely put him below all of Dermott, Kapanen and Grundstrom.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Geez, reading the comments and knitpicking reminds me of one of the main reasons why I would never post my personal rankings (another reason would be having never seen any of these prospects play a game, but I digress).

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->