Butch Mousseau (WCHA referee) in critical condition (UPDATE: RIP, Butch Mousseau)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Butch Mousseau took a fall to the ice last night in Grand Rapids, and is in the hospital with a skull fracture (and is in an induced coma).

Here's a press statement from the WCHA:
http://mihockeynow.com/2016/03/wcha...ondition-after-fall-in-warm-ups-friday-night/

If you know Butch - and just about anyone who plays hockey in Colorado does - you'll know that he's one of the most positive individuals out there. He treats every game he officiates (even down to beer league) with 100% respect, and makes the game fun for the players and officials. He's one of the most warm people that I know, and I'm honored to call him my friend.

One of my favorite Butch moments was during the Colorado Avalanche's annual Burgundy/White scrimmage, where he spent a good amount of time trying to pull apart a Scott Parker / Chris Dingman fight. That takes bravery.

Anyhow, he needs positive thoughts and prayers right now. He's a fighter, and I'm sure he'll get through this.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Updates are being posted by Butch's wife on the Facebook page above.

Short version - still waiting for pressure levels to go down, still being patient.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
College ref dies from hitting head on ice

Such a sad and scary story and Butch was a tremendous person. As a ref I looked up to him. It kind of puts things in to perspective. He has high school aged and below children. He was set to work the WCHA championship games. This may get moved but he also worked professional hockey. He was lost after being placed in a drug induced coma. He was not wearing a helmet during warmups which is very common but will now be required.

Here he is mic'd up. Such a great personality.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Such a sad and scary story and Butch was a tremendous person. As a ref I looked up to him. It kind of puts things in to perspective. He has high school aged and below children. He was set to work the WCHA championship games. This may get moved but he also worked professional hockey. He was lost after being placed in a drug induced coma. He was not wearing a helmet during warmups which is very common but will now be required.
I think this has enough general interest that it can stay here. Condolences to everyone involved.

Loui21Eriksson

Jul 17, 2013
Germany
I remember watching him in that mic'd up video a couple years ago.

Too bad to hear about this tragedy. My thoughts are with his family.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
He was taking a lap during warmups without a helmet on, started skating backwards with his hands in his pockets, tripped and hit his head on the ice.

Such terrible news and something that could happen to anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad