Ansar Khan: but every year he say we play together and they break us (up)

RedWingsNow*

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_pavel_datsyuk_joins_1.html
Coach Mike Babcock said he plans to start the season with Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg on the same line (with either Justin Abdelkader or Daniel Alfredsson).

“It’s going to be fun, but every year he say we play together,'' Datsyuk said. “In the beginning we play together a little, and they break us (up).â€

Said Zetterberg: “We'll see how long it lasts this year, but we're real excited that we'll get a chance from the start again. I think it's a little bit up to us, too. We have to play (well). If we don't do that we're probably going to be split up.''

:laugh:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I think they'll stick together for a while now that the Wings have a legit #2C in Weiss.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think they'll stick together for a while now that the Wings have a legit #2C in Weiss.
Agreed. I think part of it was that other teams could afford to focus on the D/Z line because the Wings could not reliably score with any other line. In turn, that made life harder for D/Z. I think that's been the tale of the last few years.

Perhaps with a little more depth behind them, they'll find more success at ES.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Hey Dats and Z. How bout you start scoring some more goals together then maybe you'll get to stay together? They both should score 30+ goals and eclipse 80 pts each together. Pavel should get 90+ pts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hey Dats and Z. How bout you start scoring some more goals together then maybe you'll get to stay together? They both should score 30+ goals and eclipse 80 pts each together. Pavel should get 90+ pts.

Especially in the East.

This is why ditching Filppula for Weiss was a priority though. They need something from the second line, if Franzen - Weiss - Alfie can provide some decent punch they will get to rebuild their chemistry for a little longer than they have gotten out of the gate.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
195:07 min 0.922 GF 0.307 GA 63.0 Corsi %
472:32 min 0.847 GF 0.508 GA 54.5 Corsi %

All are ES numbers, past year's stats. Former is with Z and D last year, latter D without Z.

In 10-11 season they were about as good together as they were apart.

11-12 GF/GA wise they were worse together. They were even in that category when Dats was on ice, 67.6% goals were scored by Wings. But they dominated in Corsi together, much better than apart. Which would indicate more that they were unlucky together. Though I do recall them starting together, and then after little under 20 games Z forming line with Huds and Flip for the rest of the season. Dats was less than stellar to start the season and Z was bad.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
195:07 min 0.922 GF 0.307 GA 63.0 Corsi %
472:32 min 0.847 GF 0.508 GA 54.5 Corsi %

All are ES numbers, past year's stats. Former is with Z and D last year, latter D without Z.

In 10-11 season they were about as good together as they were apart.

11-12 GF/GA wise they were worse together. They were even in that category when Dats was on ice, 67.6% goals were scored by Wings. But they dominated in Corsi together, much better than apart. Which would indicate more that they were unlucky together. Though I do recall them starting together, and then after little under 20 games Z forming line with Huds and Flip for the rest of the season. Dats was less than stellar to start the season and Z was bad.

A part of this is that Z is a slow starter. That much is hard to argue, even as one of his biggest cheerleaders. We need him to get out of the gates well this year, that or like I said have the second line come out like gangbusters so Babcock is more content to give this time.

But it does hurt that they are tried most years right at the start, as Z takes a little bit to get his legs going and firing all systems go most years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is why ditching Filppula for Weiss was a priority though. They need something from the second line, if Franzen - Weiss - Alfie can provide some decent punch they will get to rebuild their chemistry for a little longer than they have gotten out of the gate.

Yeah, and Griffins line Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar will be another punch. This kind of depth wins hockey games for us.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk will be pretty much a defensive line, that takes the hardest competition against at even strength and shuts down opposite team 1st line. That's Mike Babcock hockey. If they do some scoring more than opposite line, that's a bonus. Mainly their scoring comes from power-play.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I eventually want to see helm with tatar and nyquist but I have no problem waiting to see them with him until he is back (literally and figuratively) to 100%. I really don't want helm to retweek something if he ain't up to snuff.

But all three of them have wheels and push the play. Nyquist would be the playmaker, helm grinder, and tats with the goal scoring.

However I can live with the grand rapids line and the cool thing about it is they have all developed chemistry playing together.

RedWingsNow*

Filppula's ability to be a second line center has NOTHING to do with why D-Z have been torn apart.
But you guys keep spreading misinfo if you want

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Filppula's ability to be a second line center has NOTHING to do with why D-Z have been torn apart.
But you guys keep spreading misinfo if you want

Exactly the problem outside of when we wanted playoff matchups. When Filppula was up to the task they got to stick together. In fact during the stretch run where they pushed into the playoffs last year, they made it in a large part because Datsyuk and Zetterberg got to stay together because Franzen rose to the challenge of productively centering the second line.

The original split came with the idea of Hossa producing and the balance in the lineup it would provide along with matchups. But since they have tried several times to reunite Datsyuk and Zetterberg and one of the largest problems is pretty much since the last cup run Filppula has been found wanting in providing enough for that to be allowed to continue for long enough stretches.

You now have Babcock, Holland, Datsyuk and Zetterberg basically saying it without taking huge shots at Filppula. With the stress they need to play well from day 1 which has also been a problem with it being a tendency of trying at the start of the year when Z gets off to slow starts. But hopefully this year they either get off to a hot start or the second or third line provides enough scoring and chemistry that they are allowed a couple extra weeks to put it together.

RedWingsNow*

Please, tell us how it really is.

Look up the stats in recent years.

Check the stats of Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the day the line was torn apart.

I can't remember a single year in the last 4-5 years where these guys were playing awesome to start the season and coach took them apart.

RedWingsNow*

Exactly the problem outside of when we wanted playoff matchups. When Filppula was up to the task they got to stick together. In fact during the stretch run where they pushed into the playoffs last year, they made it in a large part because Datsyuk and Zetterberg got to stay together because Franzen rose to the challenge of productively centering the second line.

The original split came with the idea of Hossa producing and the balance in the lineup it would provide along with matchups. But since they have tried several times to reunite Datsyuk and Zetterberg and one of the largest problems is pretty much since the last cup run Filppula has been found wanting in providing enough for that to be allowed to continue for long enough stretches.

You now have Babcock, Holland, Datsyuk and Zetterberg basically saying it without taking huge shots at Filppula. With the stress they need to play well from day 1 which has also been a problem with it being a tendency of trying at the start of the year when Z gets off to slow starts. But hopefully this year they either get off to a hot start or the second or third line provides enough scoring and chemistry that they are allowed a couple extra weeks to put it together.

Factually incorrect.
Filppula has been just fine as a second line center every year except last year.

Where Filppula and Weiss have ranked among centers in Points Per 60. (50 games or more). And just for hoots, I added Zetterberg
Season Filppula - Weiss --- Zetterberg
11-12 2.68 6th --- 1.88 41st
10-11 1.87 43rd -- 1.43 83rd
09-10 1.81 55th -- 1.76 59th
08-09 1.89 44th -- 2.06 31st
07-08 1.47 80th -- 1.57 63rd

Since 2010, Flip has been a better producer at even strength.

Aug 6, 2012
Factually incorrect.
Filppula has been just fine as a second line center every year except last year.

Where Filppula and Weiss have ranked among centers in Points Per 60. (50 games or more). And just for hoots, I added Zetterberg
Season Filppula - Weiss --- Zetterberg
11-12 2.68 6th --- 1.88 41st
10-11 1.87 43rd -- 1.43 83rd
09-10 1.81 55th -- 1.76 59th
08-09 1.89 44th -- 2.06 31st
07-08 1.47 80th -- 1.57 63rd

Since 2010, Flip has been a better producer at even strength.

Flip primarily played winger (where he produces WAY better than at center) the past two or three years so those stats are useless.

RedWingsNow*

Flip primarily played winger (where he produces WAY better than at center) the past two or three years so those stats are useless.

So take the year he was winger off.
Still comparable

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No ****.
Because Zetterberg and Datsyuk are world class centers.

Makes one wonder why Weiss, not Filppula, is considered good enough to bump one off of their world class position.

kTZXYuk.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad