Busts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I get the feeling Radulov will either be a top scorer or a complete bust. He's hit or miss.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'll go off the radar and say Barker busts. He's not hyped as the second coming, but I don't think he'll be nearly as productive offensively

i was thinking of mentioning barker but i don't have much to back up the opinion....just one of those things where it seems like people have gone really high on him and i have a feeling he's not as good as advertised

Tukonen is projected to be a three way player

what's a three way player?

i agree that tukonen will probably be more of a two-way player but i saw a lot of people hyping the crap out of him before the draft...like he was gonna be a great powerforward or something. not everyone was but some...

what's the deal with the isles pick from last year, robert nilsson? he was supposed to be a really skilled guy, broke naslunds and forsbergs records, blah blah blah...then was benched and eventually left his team to play in switzerland or something? was it his play or was he a victum of the coach? i'm sure isles fans will say it was the coach but are there any swedes out there that might shed some light on that for me?

It is too early to call any 2003 or 2004 drafted boys as busts! Lot of them haven't even played on seniors yet.

that's why this is a thread asking personal opinions about who you think will bust...like projections...most people won't have anything to back it up with but it's just what you feel like

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Levitate said:
i was thinking of mentioning barker but i don't have much to back up the opinion....just one of those things where it seems like people have gone really high on him and i have a feeling he's not as good as advertised

I've just heard nothing but how great of an offensive defenseman he is. I'm wary of offensive d-men ranked so highly.

what's a three way player?
Oops. Two way.

i agree that tukonen will probably be more of a two-way player but i saw a lot of people hyping the crap out of him before the draft...like he was gonna be a great powerforward or something. not everyone was but some...

Agreed, I am not expecting Tukonen to be a powerforward, though that would be a nice turnout. I think he's getting hyped because of his physical and mental readiness to handle the NHL, and he's basically a year younger than all of the other prospects in his draft class. I think he JUST turned 18.

But you're right... anyone who expects him to be a powerforward, when he simply sounds more like a very skilled two-way player, those people are setting themselves up for disappointment. Brown is closer to being a powerforward than Tukonen, and I don't even consider Brown a powerforward. He doesn't throw his weight around nearly enough, but will tough it out in front of the net.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Hootchie Cootchie said:
To the ones who listed Schremp - may I ask why? It's just too easy to write a list based on some tidbit you read somewhere, and I'm just curious.

Is it his 'attitude problems'? :)

I too would love to know.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
macho232 said:
Hemsky, the Oilers are going to sink to the bottom of the league with this guy.

i disagree i think he is a rly talented player who has shown he can play first 30 games before oates came

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
macho232 said:
Hemsky, the Oilers are going to sink to the bottom of the league with this guy.
Yeah, probably because of Hemsky and Hemsky alone. No talent, no skills. Why'd they even draft him.

That may have been sarcastic.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Prucha73 said:
2004 is considered a weak draft.

busts:

2001:

Steckel, Umberger, Novotny, Foster, Armstrong, Knyazev, Karlsson, Chistov

he's the only guy on the list to make an impact at the NHL level, he had a sophomore slump, calling him a bust is a bit of leap.
If Chistov is a bust, where's Svitov?

X-SHARKIE

Hemsky was seen as bit of a risk that high but I think he has produced very well and is one of the most pure skilled prospects out there...he should be a special one.

I also really think Chistov well come around, just one bad year i'm not jumping off his wagon yet.

Even with the 2001 draft it's really almost impossible to say bust or not. Mabey a disapointment here and there but not a bust.

Prucha73

forbesy said:
he's the only guy on the list to make an impact at the NHL level, he had a sophomore slump, calling him a bust is a bit of leap.
If Chistov is a bust, where's Svitov?

Yes I forgot Svitov too. Well at this point I would say Chistov is a bust, sure he might come around, but it doesn't look like he will be the player that he was expected to be when drafted. When you are drafted in the top 5 you are expected to be an excellent player, if turn out to be just a decent NHL player then in a way you are a bust (not a total bust) because you did not live up to the expectations.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Mase11 said:
Another guy is Semin, I just don't see him being nothing but a 40 point man.

A steak dinner says that Semin has 5 years where he scores 45 points or more. :snide:

st_roland

This is ridiculous. Prucha73, have you ever watched Semin play in your entire life?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Mase11 said:
Taticek and Bryzgalov.

I think Staal will not turn out to be what most people think either. He will be good but not great! Another guy is Semin, I just don't see him being nothing but a 40 point man.

rofl, if you have even watched Semin play for the caps this year you would have to nudge that point total up a decent bit.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
Mase11 said:
Taticek and Bryzgalov.

I think Staal will not turn out to be what most people think either. He will be good but not great! Another guy is Semin, I just don't see him being nothing but a 40 point man.

Bryzgalov wont be a bust. And remember before labeling Semin a bust that he will be playing alongside Ovechkin.

Prucha73

st_roland said:
This is ridiculous. Prucha73, have you ever watched Semin play in your entire life?

WTF? Yes I did, but what does he have to do with anything?

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
Agreed, he fell because he was boom or bust.

In my opinion, forward drafted 10-20, that is 6'4 or bigger is a bust. That includes Jessiman. No list is complete without Hugh. Here's why...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=85137&highlight=Riihijarvi

To be honest I think that is pretty weak. I accept Jessiman is a boom or bust but I'm not going to accept that if a player is over 6'4 he will be that much more of a risk then a guy who is an amazing 2 inches shorter.

Heights taken from THN.

Heatley - 6'3 --> #2 overall 2000
Thornton - 6'4 --> #1 overall 1997
Glen Murray -6'3 --> #18 overall 1991
Staal - 6'3 --> #2 overall 2003
Daze - 6'6 --> #90 overall 1993
Nash - 6'4 --> #1 overall 2002
Arnott - 6'4 --> #7 overall 1993
Modano - 6'3 --> #1 overall 1988
Shanahan - 6'3 --> #2 overall 1987
Jokinen - 6'3 --> #3 overall 1997
Frolov - 6'4 --> #20 overall 2000
Yashin - 6'3 --> #2 overall 1992
Lindros - 6'4 --> #1 overall 1991
Holik - 6'4 --> #10 overall 1989
Nedved - 6'3 --> #2 overall 1990
Bonk - 6'3 --> #3 overall 1994
Primeau - 6'5 --> #3 overall 1990
Leclair - 6'3 --> #33 overall 1987
Lemieux - 6'4 --> #1 overall 1984
Lecavalier - 6'4 --> #1 overall 1998
Modin - 6'4 --> #64 overall 1994
Sundin - 6'4 --> #1 overall 1989
Bertuzzi - 6'3 --> #23 overall 1993

Here are a few players that I think have had good careers or are going to have good careers. your idea of 10 - 20 is strange as each year the draft talent level is different and so guys will be moved up or down depending upon the year.

Glen Murray
Alexander frolov
Bobby Holik

Were they all bad picks? Lucky Bertuzzi dropped to 23 as he could have been a dud if it wasnt for those extra 3 positions. I except you have found a correlation, what i dont accept is your theory that all players taken in that golden 10 spot group will be busts and those outside will be ok. To me it is a coincedence, nothing more.

You can reel off all the players that are 6'4 and suck but I dont think that anybody would use that as an indication for future drafts. You have busts with players of all sizes, It's just larger guys for some reason are built up to be the next Lemieux and when they become a 50 point second liner are considered busts.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
BLACKBURN said:
To be honest I think that is pretty weak. I accept Jessiman is a boom or bust but I'm not going to accept that if a player is over 6'4 he will be that much more of a risk then a guy who is an amazing 2 inches shorter.

It might be pretty weak to you, but that's because you have a dog in this race. As a fan who doesn't, it holds weight. It isn't definitive and I don't pretend it is. But the bottom line is that no player 6'4" or taller drafted 10-20 since 1990 has been remotely successful. All that means is that those players are extreme gambles and rarely pay off. It doesn't mean they won't ever become top stars. It could happen. But the likelyhood is very, very low that it will. That is my point and that is why I think that Jessiman should be always be considered as a potential bust.

All you should take out of this is that unless this player is a top pick (Thornton, Lindros, Primeau), the odds of him ever becoming successful are extremely slim (at a height of 6'4" or above). Sure, you can trot out the likes of Modin and co. There are a few players that have excelled. But the bottom line is as strong as ever. The NHL draft is a risky business and drafting 6'4+" forwards are as risky as it gets. That's all I am saying.

Using the information above and having no direct tie to Jessiman, I must say I think he'll be a bust. He could prove me wrong, but I don't like his odds.

Oh yeah, I picked the 10-20 criteria because that was where the Preds were picking and it narrowed and simplified my search. I am sure if you extended it to include all non-franchise pick forwards over 6'4" (this list would obviously exclude forwards like Thorton, Lemieux, and Lindros), I think you'll find the failure rate either holds steady or steadily worsens. Sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->