Busts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
It seems that on this board, every prospect is going to be unreal. But that's not what the past tells us. According to history, only like 10 percent or less of players drafted turn out to be regular NHLers and even lower turn out to be superstars. So some of these guys are guaranteed not to turn out. In fact, a lot of them. So who are your picks to be flops or busts from recent drafts gone by.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Just my personal opinion:

2002:

Taticek
Niinimaki
Vagner

2003(1st and early 2nd round only):

Kostitsyn
Nilsson
Parise-Not really a bust, but I dont think he'll be quite as good as NJ fans think
Polak

2004:

Ladd
Valabik
Schremp

Last edited:

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
I see we already have PROSPECTIVE Busts in the list... interesting..dont know about that...

For me off the top of my head... Michael Henrich, Oilers from Barrie Colts. Henrich was a speedster with finish off the wing in the OHL and was, if I remember correctly, very hyped coming out of his draft year - I am of the understanding now he is a fringe-prospect with a limited window with the Oilers, and that he was considered a top-flite prospect.

When I saw the thread I thought it was open to all considerants and I was like, yeah, I'll be the first one to say Brian Lawton ! :joker: But hey, he made a go as a player agent.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Chaos said:
2003(1st and early 2nd round only):

Kostitsyn
Nilsson
Parise-Not really a bust, but I dont think he'll be quite as good as NJ fans think
Polak

2004:

Ladd
Valabik
Schremp

Still early to tell that...Kostitsyn and Parise just sign their first pro contract and they will both play either in the NHL or the AHL. After their first pro season, the talk Bust or Not? will be able to start...

And if I say your 2003 choices are to early, imagine for your 2004 choices...

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Still early to tell that...Kostitsyn and Parise just sign their first pro contract and they will both play either in the NHL or the AHL. After their first pro season, the talk Bust or Not? will be able to start...

And if I say your 2003 choices are to early, imagine for your 2004 choices...

The guy asked our picks to be flops/busts from recent drafts, meaning who we think wont turn out, not who already has...thats all I did...its just an opinion....

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Rico Fata

Is Rico Fata a bust? I know to Flames fans yes, but what did everyone expect from him 100pt seasons? I watched him in London and he was the fastest player in the league but "limited hockey sense".

What do you see of him for the future with Pens or anyone else? I'd say 40-50pts at tops now and probably a 3rd line player with 30pts or so.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Chaos said:
The guy asked our picks to be flops/busts from recent drafts, meaning who we think wont turn out, not who already has...thats all I did...its just an opinion....

Yeah, you're right...my mistake. I guess it's because I saw Kostistyn name in your post :D

He will not be a bust but don't mark my word ;)

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Well as long as everyone is wildly predicting busts way before anything is proved then I vote for Crosby.
I predict that right after he signs the biggest rookie contract ever he will be taking out the garbage and just as he puts down the bag at the street he will be crushed by yet another NASA probe shute failure incedent.

se7en*

To the ones who listed Schremp - may I ask why? It's just too easy to write a list based on some tidbit you read somewhere, and I'm just curious.

Is it his 'attitude problems'? :)

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
thegreatone said:

Jessiman
Nilsson

Wheeler
Shremp
Valabik
Korpikoski

On what basis is Korpikoski gonna be a bust. He is probably one of the "sure things" in the draft. His potential is 1-2 line forward but if he is overrated he'll be a fast checkin forward.

Jessiman will either bust or be the best PF in the league.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Rancid said:
On what basis is Korpikoski gonna be a bust. He is probably one of the "sure things" in the draft. His potential is 1-2 line forward but if he is overrated he'll be a fast checkin forward.

Jessiman will either bust or be the best PF in the league.

There's no such thing as "sure things" in any entry draft. Korpikoski is far from being considered a sure thing, as he literally came from now where and if not for a good U-18, not many would be so high on him, as he has not done much in the Finnish junior league. I can't say too much since I only saw 1 sm-liiga game and 3 wjc games, but if he was such a sure thing, I would expect him to be on the U-20 team where Tukonen was.

As for Jessiman, "the best PF in the league"? wow, if that's going to be the case, he's got a ways to go. I am a big ECAC fan, and while I'm now a Dartmouth fan for the next few years, I'd be shocked if he is the best of anything in the future. I think he's a quality prospect and should be a good NHLer, but best PF is a bold, bold statement imo. (but I'm also pissed he's going back to Dartmouth as it will cut down the ice time of their 2 incoming freshmen RW's)

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Jessiman is a good call, as he is either going to be an amazing player or not even a NHL regular. Classic high risk / high reward.

Not mentioned yet:
Mikko Koivu
RJ Umberger

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
Just to clear confusion, I am not asking who you think is already a bust. Just opinions on who you think will be. For me I think that a majority of the 2004 draft class won't turn out as highly regarded as they are on this board. (See 1999) I can see Ladd, Wheeler, Picard, Tukenon, Schremp not reaching their "potential." Bold statement I know, but in 5 years we'll see.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
count me as one who thinks tukonen is gonna dissapoint somewhat...at the 11th spot, he was a good pick but people were talking him up as the 3rd best player in the draft going in, just behind ovechkin and malkin.

probably won't be a classic "bust"...seems to have enough skills and abilities to eventually play in the NHL, but i don't think he's gonna be a top line scorer or something.

wheeler has pretty big bust potential compared to his draft status...but in a weak draft it probably wasn't such a HUGE reach

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Levitate said:
count me as one who thinks tukonen is gonna dissapoint somewhat...at the 11th spot, he was a good pick but people were talking him up as the 3rd best player in the draft going in, just behind ovechkin and malkin.

probably won't be a classic "bust"...seems to have enough skills and abilities to eventually play in the NHL, but i don't think he's gonna be a top line scorer or something.

wheeler has pretty big bust potential compared to his draft status...but in a weak draft it probably wasn't such a HUGE reach

Tukonen is projected to be a three way player, so Kings fans aren't really expecting him to be a top scorer. Likewise, I find it hard to label known high risks (Jessiman, Wheeler) as "busts." I consider a bust to be a player where people have high expectations of them panning out.

I'll go off the radar and say Barker busts. He's not hyped as the second coming, but I don't think he'll be nearly as productive offensively.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Anyone remember Dave Chizowski picked after I think Sundin in the 89 'draft? Man, that was a hell of a bust. I would go out and say Eric Nystrom and Ryan Whitney. There's something wrong with them. Although I'm high on him (and biased), Kostsitsyn looks set for an uphill battle.I don't think Ladd will bust but I certainly don't think he's first line material, 2nd line maybe.

Prucha73

Chuckalinsky said:
Just to clear confusion, I am not asking who you think is already a bust. Just opinions on who you think will be. For me I think that a majority of the 2004 draft class won't turn out as highly regarded as they are on this board. (See 1999) I can see Ladd, Wheeler, Picard, Tukenon, Schremp not reaching their "potential." Bold statement I know, but in 5 years we'll see.

2004 is considered a weak draft.

busts:

2001:

Steckel, Umberger, Novotny, Foster, Armstrong, Knyazev, Karlsson, Chistov

2002:

Taticek, Nystrom, Klepis, Eager, Bergenheim, Johansson

2003:

Nilsson, Boyle, Tambellini

Mase11

Aug 31, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Taticek and Bryzgalov.

I think Staal will not turn out to be what most people think either. He will be good but not great! Another guy is Semin, I just don't see him being nothing but a 40 point man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->