Burns Suspension Reduced

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Reactions: Rob

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Acadia Response to AUS Judicial Committee decision to reduce Suspension of Hockey Head Coach Darren Burns

Darren Burns has had his 10 game suspension reduced to 5 games, already served.

Peddle already served his 10 games.

I've looked at a lot of video of the event and you can see that Burnsie was trying to control his bench whereas Peds was not so much.

Good call by the appeal committee.

Do you think that the determining factor in the decision was their relative attempts to control their benches?

Knowing the ad-hoc way that these committees tend to work, my guess is that they were more likely trying to make the suspensions equal in terms of calendar days rather than games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in Hockey Canada a suspended coach is not allowed to run practices, either ... so maintaining the status quo would have meant that Burns would effectively miss the entire preseason whereas Peddle would be free to run his team (I'm not 100% sure how exhibition games factor into suspensions, but I think they count). That difference would have really made the suspensions imbalanced in term of their relative impact on the programs ... which was not likely the intent of giving them each 10 games.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
And they get to play each other at least five times this season.

I think both teams have learned from this last incident. The competition level between these teams is not much different than other teams. It's the "other" stuff that causes friction.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"Do you think that the determining factor in the decision was their relative attempts to control their benches?"

I think so. Also the interaction between the coaching staff was "different", with Acadia less belligerent. It is difficult to gauge the intent of the discipline committee. At the end of the day, it's a positive result.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
"Do you think that the determining factor in the decision was their relative attempts to control their benches?"

I think so. Also the interaction between the coaching staff was "different", with Acadia less belligerent. It is difficult to gauge the intent of the discipline committee. At the end of the day, it's a positive result.

And it was Peds who sent the knuckleheads out for the faceoff, when X had a two-man powerplay, that set everything off.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in Hockey Canada a suspended coach is not allowed to run practices, either ... so maintaining the status quo would have meant that Burns would effectively miss the entire preseason...

Correct. Plus, since the exhibition games were not on the official schedule at the time of the suspension, they do not count towards the 5 games. So, he would have been out until game 6 of the regular season. A team can not inject exhibition games into their schedule, after an event, in an effort to mitigate the impacts of the lost player/coach.

As for the reduction - I have no problems with it. It's over - move on. Now, if something stupid happens again - the anvils will fall.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
And it was Peds who sent the knuckleheads out for the faceoff, when X had a two-man powerplay, that set everything off.

Agree. But, if I recall correctly, Peds sent the dummies out After the 1st altercation at the SFX bench where things were "allegedly" said. But, as Drummie just posted, it's over - move on. We don't need to re-litigate this.

I'm just glad that Burnsie is out of jail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad