Burke: Two physical altercations in NHLPA meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, those Nascar hillbillies haven't got a clue how to run a business. I wonder if they're watching Bettman and thinking of hiring him? He'd know what to do in order to save that dying sport.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What's with the hate on for "Left Turn".....I like left turn. For all the reasons that have been mentioned before.

As for the altercations. Hockey players are passionate. Too bad they weren't passionate enough to work out a deal sooner.

Instead of...."We need to solve each of these issues before we throw out some arbitrary($45 million) number."

It could have been. "We are ready to talk about $45 million dollars as a number, but we need these concessions to accept. 1. Free agency at 29... 2. Profit sharing..... 3. ..."

Ah well que sera sera....

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
ScottyBowman said:
Burke is clearly in the owner's pocket and is trying his best to make the union look bad. Thankfully, nobody in the US knows who he is.

True, but let's face it, bias is only attacked if it's bias in favour of the players.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Lowetide said:
Yeah, those Nascar hillbillies haven't got a clue how to run a business. I wonder if they're watching Bettman and thinking of hiring him? He'd know what to do in order to save that dying sport.

Line of the day. If Bettman ran Nascar, he'd probably quickly realize the sports big problem though. Once the race has been going for a while, it can be difficult to know who's leading-you've got cars that have been lapped in the way, it's very confusing. If only there was some sort of way to have a visual identifier on the leading car. It'd draw in the lucrative market of people like me, who probably would all watch if this was addressed.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Burke : " There are big cracks in the union side"

It's just a matter of time here people. The union is fractured and will break.

Three Stars

Mar 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
He just told Dan Russell that something most people don't know is that there were two physical altercations in the NHLPA meetings where guys literally had to be physically separated/restrained. One of the altercations was definitely during the dinner meeting on Monday night.

But which side had the man advantage after the fights? :)

"NHLPA penalty to _____. 2 minutes for instigating, 5 minutes for fighting, and a 10 minute misconduct."

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
Line of the day. If Bettman ran Nascar, he'd probably quickly realize the sports big problem though. Once the race has been going for a while, it can be difficult to know who's leading-you've got cars that have been lapped in the way, it's very confusing. If only there was some sort of way to have a visual identifier on the leading car. It'd draw in the lucrative market of people like me, who probably would all watch if this was addressed.

:lol: :lol

I like NASCAR, i watch it every sunday till football starts.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
ScottyBowman said:
No thanks. Women at a nascar race are trailer trash.

The sport does not appeal to me, but the stereotype, perhaps overall true some time ago, no longer is. I have a friend who is a VP with a Bank, very high up in their lending and leasing department, doing multi-million dollar deals daily, and he went down to conduct business at the Indianoplolis 500 in a corporate box . . . yes, believe it or not they have those. It no longer is just rednecks who go to those events. Again, not my thing, but the stereotype is growing less and less true. I only wish the NHL in the future becomes cursed with exponential and crossover growth as NASCAR has been.

Wetcoaster

me2 said:
Burke can't believe players pay agents a percentage. When he was agenting (if there is such a word) he used to work on an hourly rate. Much, much better for the players.
Some agents have charged hourly rates and still do - some charge a fixed percentage. It depends upon the contract.

Wetcoaster

mcphee said:
Not that this confirms anything, but McGuire mentionnned that there were players who shouted down questions as they were asked, not exactly a new idea, union bullying. He didn't name his source, but my money is on Mark Recchi, for no other reason than they seem to be friends. It's not that much of a stretch to imagine some tempers flaring up if someone's trying to impede open discussion.
Just like the owners have been reported to have done? Employer bullying????

"Report: Owners shout down Tanenbaum" as reported by TSN and the Toronto Star.

Wetcoaster

Roots73 said:
Burke : " There are big cracks in the union side"

It's just a matter of time here people. The union is fractured and will break.
As was forecast in September, October, November, December, January, February, March....

Mountain Dude

Wetcoaster said:
As was forecast in September, October, November, December, January, February, March....

They did break, and will continue to break further.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
arnie said:
So the NHL broke when they moved of the linkage position?

While the cap proposed was not directly linked to revenues, it was offered based upon what teams could afford last season. It would also still give cost certainty, which is what they have touted since the start of this mess.

Also, a hard cap would easily fit the 1st of the NHL's 6 concepts...

NHL's Six Concepts
1.) A hard salary cap imposed on payrolls that teams would not be allowed to exceed.
2.) A Performance-Based Salary System, in which a player's individual compensation would be based, in part, on negotiated objective criteria and, in part, on individual and team performance.
3.) A Payroll Range System in which teams could spend within a negotiated range of payrolls.
4.) A system premised on the Centralized Negotiation of Player Contracts, where the League would negotiate individual player contracts, either with players and their agents or with the Union directly.
5.) A Player Partnership Payroll Plan (P-4), which would involve individual player compensation being individually negotiated on the basis of "units" allocated for regular-season payrolls, supplemented by lucrative bonuses for team playoff performance.
6.) A Salary Slotting System, which would contemplate each team being assigned a series of "salary slots" at various levels, each of which would be allocated among each team's players pursuant to individual player-team negotiation.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/8-17-04cba.htm

The NHLPA on the other hand had steadfastly refused to accept a salary cap in any form. Since they now find it acceptable, they have given in considerably. The great thing is, I doubt the NHLPA can refuse to negotiate a hard cap or linkage in the future since they offered both in their proposal, to refuse to consider either in the future could be considered an unfair labor practice (I think, anyway...). (Even if they only wanted linkage one way, they did discuss it...)

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Actually, a non-linked (and thereby static) hard cap would not provide "cost certainty" in the sense that should the cap be set at a level that eventually exceeded what the league brought in in revunues, money would still be lost.

Now, ideally the cap would hit at a golden mean where it allowed profit to be generated but wasn't restrictive to reasonable free market signings. But without the linkage to revenue, there would always be the chance that the cost could still be more than the money coming in. IMHO, that's the risk you take when running a business, especially a sports team. That's why you have to market them well and succeed with your local fans to secure good ticket prices and solid local TV contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad