Burke on the radio in Los Angeles re: Helene Elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
says Helene Elliot is a great hockey writer and the people of Los Angeles are lucky to have her and that her sources are solid and that at the most she is off by 1 to 2 days.

Just a heads up from Burkee!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Finally. One of the guys I truly believe says it. I guess we should expect ratification next week, and goofy hat press conference with "A Whole New Game" slogans soon.

I wonder if they'll announce that they're going to ratification, or if they'll only make a formal announcement when everything is done.
If they do, I'm expecting a press release tomorrow or on the weekend. :yo:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Smotheredhope said:
says Helene Elliot is a great hockey writer and the people of Los Angeles are lucky to have her and that her sources are solid and that at the most she is off by 1 to 2 days.

Just a heads up from Burkee!

Heh looks like Burke is sucking up to her so she doesnt write anything bad about him since hes the new guy in that area now. :D

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
TheCoach said:
Finally. One of the guys I truly believe says it. :

Didn't we just numerous reports about how the GM's were being left in the dark about the CBA (terms/completion)?

Now the All Mighty Burke of Anaheim speaks = 100% fact...Please...

Burke really has his cronies...

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
blitzkriegs said:
Didn't we just numerous reports about how the GM's were being left in the dark about the CBA (terms/completion)?

Now the All Mighty Burke of Anaheim speaks = 100% fact...Please...

Burke really has his cronies...

Burke is reliable. He's not just the GM of Anaheim...he has worked as a lead analyst on TSN (the most trusted network) and also worked internally in the NHL for years so I'm assuming he will know more than the average NHL GM. He is one of the few guys I believe during the lockout. So same goes for me that finally someone I trust said it. Cheers.

Bruinaholic

Apr 22, 2002
Central CT
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Heh looks like Burke is sucking up to her so she doesnt write anything bad about him since hes the new guy in that area now. :D

Im sure some sucking up was done, if ya know what i mean :dunno:

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I believed it when Helene Elliot said it. Why does everyone need multiple sources to believe everything? Can't anyone think for themselves anymore by using (gasp) logic and reason? Helene's been on the money repeatedly - more times than most of the so called sources people around here follow like trained sheep.

Burke's a great source of information as well, but he sure doesn't need to back up a hall of fame hockey writer, even if she is perceived to be "misplaced" in LA. LA fans know how lucky we are to have her.

- T

X0ssbar

jericholic19 said:
anyone else catch her on bob mcown's radio show? that woman has attitude.

Nope - can you give us a summary? I assume she backed up her position?

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand this thing with Helene. She's been one of the better and more accurate writers during this lockout when her editor would allow her to publish a hockey story (in an interview recently, she said at times she had to nearly beg him).

In her story today, she very clearly quoted a LA Kings exec who said that the 2004-5 contracts was still an issue - which effectively said : it is not a done deal. Her title was something like "on the way back" but not "the NHL is back".

Sadly, many in the media who have proven that they cannot write very well, confirmed today that they can't read very well either. But I can't blame Ms Elliot for that.

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
TonySCV said:
I believed it when Helene Elliot said it. Why does everyone need multiple sources to believe everything? Can't anyone think for themselves anymore by using (gasp) logic and reason? Helene's been on the money repeatedly - more times than most of the so called sources people around here follow like trained sheep.

Burke's a great source of information as well, but he sure doesn't need to back up a hall of fame hockey writer, even if she is perceived to be "misplaced" in LA. LA fans know how lucky we are to have her.

- T

You told us.

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
cleduc said:
I don't understand this thing with Helene. She's been one of the better and more accurate writers during this lockout when her editor would allow her to publish a hockey story (in an interview recently, she said at times she had to nearly beg him).

In her story today, she very clearly quoted a LA Kings exec who said that the 2004-5 contracts was still an issue - which effectively said : it is not a done deal. Her title was something like "on the way back" but not "the NHL is back".

Sadly, many in the media who have proven that they cannot write very well, confirmed today that they can't read very well either. But I can't blame Ms Elliot for that.

I think it was the "Deal in principal" line that everyone is talking about.

quote "League, players' association agree in principle on a new collective bargaining agreement...."

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Smotheredhope said:
I think it was the "Deal in principal" line that everyone is talking about.

quote "League, players' association agree in principle on a new collective bargaining agreement...."

They had an agreement in principle when hockey returned in '94 but they still had to work out transition and documentation/wording which this time, is what they are doing now with this deal before they announce it.

To use an overworked lockout phrase but quite applicable in the case with her article: "out of context". She describes in detail items that they have agreed to AND some items that they have not agreed to:

Players will debate and vote at a meeting that could be contentious; if they approve, a 10-day period will begin for teams to sign players they drafted in 2003 and other players on their reserve lists. The season probably would start in early to mid-October.

King President Tim Leiweke, a member of the NHL executive committee, declined to discuss specifics of the negotiations. "I do think the union and the league have made a lot of progress," he said. "They're not there, but hopefully, they'll be there in the very near future."

The largest unresolved issue, a source said, is the disposition of contracts for the 2004-05 season.
The NHLPA wants obligations for the 2004-05 season to be respected, and the NHL opposes that but might yield, a source said.

If these other idiots in the media read her entire article properly, they would know that. If Helene only wanted them to read half her article, then she would have only needed to publish half of it so the paper could sell more ads. Her anti hockey editor probably would have liked that.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Maybe her musings were merely reactionary and of the same kind of assumptions we've all been making the past few weeks? There ARE new coach hirings and personell shufflings around the league of the better. What else could you conclude from it?

IMO she hasnt lost any crediblity and has not reported any falsities

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
RangerBoy said:
Will the NHL even announce a deal before the NHLPA votes on it?

It is believed the CBA talks are close to the end and the deal outlined by the Times is the framework. But the NHL is in no hurry to officially announce any deal, even in principle, until it is ratified by the Players Association. This could come as soon as next week.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spnhl0708,0,4220704.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

See! I was right! All hail ME. HAVE SOME HUMBLE PIE.

Oops, I mean Apple. Apple pie is good. :)

Old Hickory

jericholic19 said:
anyone else catch her on bob mcown's radio show? that woman has attitude.
She is an incredibly nice lady. I have had the pleasure of speaking with her a few times.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Collective Bargaining agreement is so comprehensive – an estimated 500-plus pages – that it threatens to surpass the Oxford Unabridged Dictionary in both size and weight.

Nor will Commissioner Gary Bettman dare allow an announcement to take place before every comma is in place and every owner has thoroughly read the document.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_n...ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl

This may take a while ;)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the tentative agreement will be presented to the NHL Executive Committee on Monday and then perhaps to the Board of Governors for approval as early as Tuesday. If the board approves it, it will be presented to the players for a ratification vote

The Times report suggested there could be one sticking point remaining, and that is the union pushing to have all 2004-05 contracts rolled over into 2005-06. But multiple persons with knowledge of the situation on both sides of the table say the issue has long been resolved. The union already has agreed the 2004-05 contracts were lost as a result of the canceled season.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spnhl0708,0,4220704.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Memo to Helene,Tim Pinaccio and Bruce Garrioch who continue to insist the 2004-05 contract issue is still part of the negotiations,those contracts are done.Eliminated.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
RangerBoy said:
Memo to Helene,Tim Pinaccio and Bruce Garrioch who continue to insist the 2004-05 contract issue is still part of the negotiations,those contracts are done.Eliminated.
It's still one reporter's sources against some other reporter's sources. I wouldn't put much weight with either side right now.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
RangerBoy said:

Unless you are involved in the negotiations, you have no idea whether that is correct or not. Then again neither do the above mentioned 3.

pens66

Okay People!! Let's get one thing straight! Nobody knows when the deal is going to be done. None of the so called informed media don't have any clue as to when the deal is going to be done. Nobody has been right thus far, hence we can only wait until the deal is announced by the buffons from the NHL and NHLPA. Until then don't believe anything you read or listen because all it's doing is raising our hopes up for NOTHING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->