Buried Treasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Spitz said:
Every year, a couple guys are picked in the later rounds (fifth and on) who end up being pretty nice NHL players. Anybody have any favourites for this year's draft?
I don't know how far down he is going to go, but with Montoya, Schwarz, Shantz, Peters, Dubnyk and Schneider, people are going to again overlook David Brown G, for Notre Dame. http://und.collegesports.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/brown_david00.html

TeeBall

May 7, 2004
George Bachul said:
I don't know how far down he is going to go, but with Montoya, Schwarz, Shantz, Peters, Dubnyk and Schneider, people are going to again overlook David Brown G, for Notre Dame. http://und.collegesports.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/brown_david00.html

Probably a good chance for Brown or another goaltender to be a late round gem. Lots of examples of goaltenders being late picks or not drafted and shining a few years down the road. Any thoughts why Brown may have been passed by last year...size? My thought is that the top 10 or 12 goaltenders will go basically in order then the teams will start looking to kids who project well in their minds. European tenders playing in elite leagues already and have a place to develop or NCAA tenders that will develop for 4 years at no cost to the team would seem to be the route that teams will take. Time will develop them and another couple gems will emerge from this draft, as they always do.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
TeeBall said:
Probably a good chance for Brown or another goaltender to be a late round gem. Lots of examples of goaltenders being late picks or not drafted and shining a few years down the road. Any thoughts why Brown may have been passed by last year...size? My thought is that the top 10 or 12 goaltenders will go basically in order then the teams will start looking to kids who project well in their minds. European tenders playing in elite leagues already and have a place to develop or NCAA tenders that will develop for 4 years at no cost to the team would seem to be the route that teams will take. Time will develop them and another couple gems will emerge from this draft, as they always do.
I don't want to get into a Redline Report debate because like any other scouting service they get some right and some wrong. Woodlief had David Brown ranked number two in the draft last year at one point.(And this is where you have to question the rankings, Jimmy Howard wasn't even in his top 10) That notwithstanding, I liked Brown last year, and like him again this year.

Here is the RLR June 16, 2003 report on David Brown:

SLEEPER:

Dave Brown — It's not normal for us to list our No. 2 ranked player at any position as a sleeper, but Brown's circumstances are a bit different. He remained in Tier II with Hamilton this season to preserve his NCAA eligibility (he'll be attending Notre Dame in the fall), so naturally he didn't receive big-time exposure and scouting attention, plus it's difficult to gauge a goalie's true talent level playing against inferior shooters. In some respects, Brown was actually a bit of a disappointment for RLR this year. We expected him to dominate at this level, and there were times when he was no better than ordinary. Still, he has all the tools that attracted us to him 18 months ago when we first saw him. Most notable among these is extreme quickness and agility, a competitive nature and good goaltender's temperament, and the confidence to challenge shooters. Call him our total hunch pick among the goalies.

No. Player HT/WT Catch DOB Team Projected
1. Marc-Andre Fleury 6-0/174 L 11-28-84 Cape Breton (QMJHL) First round
2. Dave Brown 5-11/175 L 2-1-85 Hamilton (OPJHL) Second
3. Patrick Ehelechner 6-2/170 L 9-23-84 EV Landshut (Germany) Second
4. Gerald Coleman 6-4/181 L 4-3-85 London (OHL) Third
5. David Tremblay 6-1/179 L 8-16-85 Hull (QMJHL) Third
6. Kevin Nastiuk 6-1/175 L 7-20-85 Medicine Hat (WHL) Third
7. Rejean Beauchemin 6-2/186 L 5-5-85 Prince Albert (WHL) Third
8. Ryan Munce 6-2/180 L 4-16-85 Sarnia (OHL) Third
9. Corey Crawford 6-0/168 L 12-31-84 Moncton (QMJHL) Third

TeeBall

May 7, 2004
George Bachul said:
I don't want to get into a Redline Report debate because like any other scouting service they get some right and some wrong. Woodlief had David Brown ranked number two in the draft last year at one point.(And this is where you have to question the rankings, Jimmy Howard wasn't even in his top 10) That notwithstanding, I liked Brown last year, and like him again this year.

Here is the RLR June 16, 2003 report on David Brown:

SLEEPER:

Dave Brown — It's not normal for us to list our No. 2 ranked player at any position as a sleeper, but Brown's circumstances are a bit different. He remained in Tier II with Hamilton this season to preserve his NCAA eligibility (he'll be attending Notre Dame in the fall), so naturally he didn't receive big-time exposure and scouting attention, plus it's difficult to gauge a goalie's true talent level playing against inferior shooters. In some respects, Brown was actually a bit of a disappointment for RLR this year. We expected him to dominate at this level, and there were times when he was no better than ordinary. Still, he has all the tools that attracted us to him 18 months ago when we first saw him. Most notable among these is extreme quickness and agility, a competitive nature and good goaltender's temperament, and the confidence to challenge shooters. Call him our total hunch pick among the goalies.

No. Player HT/WT Catch DOB Team Projected
1. Marc-Andre Fleury 6-0/174 L 11-28-84 Cape Breton (QMJHL) First round
2. Dave Brown 5-11/175 L 2-1-85 Hamilton (OPJHL) Second
3. Patrick Ehelechner 6-2/170 L 9-23-84 EV Landshut (Germany) Second
4. Gerald Coleman 6-4/181 L 4-3-85 London (OHL) Third
5. David Tremblay 6-1/179 L 8-16-85 Hull (QMJHL) Third
6. Kevin Nastiuk 6-1/175 L 7-20-85 Medicine Hat (WHL) Third
7. Rejean Beauchemin 6-2/186 L 5-5-85 Prince Albert (WHL) Third
8. Ryan Munce 6-2/180 L 4-16-85 Sarnia (OHL) Third
9. Corey Crawford 6-0/168 L 12-31-84 Moncton (QMJHL) Third

Just brings to light the significant variation in opinions on goaltenders. Talking to a number of scouts this year their thoughts are wide ranging. I think some of it has to do with who they have seen, some relates to preconceived notions about styles, and then again some of it relates to a lack of understanding of the position. The one attribute that I think is most important is what they have between the ears...how tough are they from a mental perspective. That seems to be the common thread between the good goaltenders at higher levels. Lots of different styles and sizes and even disparities in athletic abilities but the common denominator is mental toughness. Difficult to measure and even more difficult to uncover at younger ages in a goaltender.

I think there will be a number of surprises again in who gets drafted and where.

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
Sleeper from the "Q"

Here you go with my sleeper pick --

Jordan LaVallee (dob - 5/11/86)
Quebec Remparts LW
Good Size -- 6'3", 218 (listed as 6'2" but is 6'3'+)
Modest Stats -- 69 gp, 11 g, 16 a, 27 pts 111 pim

Intangibles -- played on checking line in Quebec where he was under-utilized (averaged around 12-15min/game); great hands; accumulated 111 penalty minutes with 10 fighting majors; had 228 body checks (league leader for forwards).

He will surprise the team that's lucky enough to get him.

Free Dental Care

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
TeeBall said:
Just brings to light the significant variation in opinions on goaltenders. Talking to a number of scouts this year their thoughts are wide ranging. I think some of it has to do with who they have seen, some relates to preconceived notions about styles, and then again some of it relates to a lack of understanding of the position. The one attribute that I think is most important is what they have between the ears...how tough are they from a mental perspective. That seems to be the common thread between the good goaltenders at higher levels. Lots of different styles and sizes and even disparities in athletic abilities but the common denominator is mental toughness. Difficult to measure and even more difficult to uncover at younger ages in a goaltender.

I think there will be a number of surprises again in who gets drafted and where.

I saw Brown several times this season. He was sensational during the first half of the season but struggled in the second half. As I mentioned in another thread, one of his best latter season performances was against Ohio State in the CCHA Playoffs. He made something like 43 stops and got sacked with the loss, but some of those saves he made were real beauties. I agree with the talent assessment given and I agree with what you have to say (especially about mental toughness). How Brown will do in the long run is anyone's guess. I would venture to say that his stock drop somewhat with some scouts because of his late season struggles.

TeeBall

May 7, 2004
Oilers Chick said:
I saw Brown several times this season. He was sensational during the first half of the season but struggled in the second half. As I mentioned in another thread, one of his best latter season performances was against Ohio State in the CCHA Playoffs. He made something like 43 stops and got sacked with the loss, but some of those saves he made were real beauties. I agree with the talent assessment given and I agree with what you have to say (especially about mental toughness). How Brown will do in the long run is anyone's guess. I would venture to say that his stock drop somewhat with some scouts because of his late season struggles.

What do you think of some of the others entering the NCAA this year...or in the case of Montoya and Brown...already in the league. Because of shorter schedules and where these goaltenders come from I think that there is somewhat of a bias toward the major junior kids. I have seen some of these kids and they compare very favorably in my mind to others, yet are ranked far behind from Central Scouting perspective. It is just impossible to properly cover all the leagues and comparasins are difficult for obvious reasons. What are your thoughts, or anyone elses, on the following goaltenders:

Montoya
Schneider
Mannino
Fallon
McIntyre
D'Alba
Alford
Dekanich

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't think he'll fall past the third round, but Mike Card can still be pretty good down the road. Same with Evan McGrath if he ever finds his game again.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
TeeBall said:
What do you think of some of the others entering the NCAA this year...or in the case of Montoya and Brown...already in the league. Because of shorter schedules and where these goaltenders come from I think that there is somewhat of a bias toward the major junior kids. I have seen some of these kids and they compare very favorably in my mind to others, yet are ranked far behind from Central Scouting perspective. It is just impossible to properly cover all the leagues and comparasins are difficult for obvious reasons. What are your thoughts, or anyone elses, on the following goaltenders:

Montoya
Schneider
Mannino
Fallon
McIntyre
D'Alba
Alford
Dekanich

With the exception of Brown and Montoya (and when Bryce Luker was ranked), I have yet to see any of the other players you mentioned. I've been trying to read up on as many of them as I can. Adam D'Alba, who will be attending Brown this fall, did not opt into the draft this year (this according to the Inside College Hockey website). With the exception of Fallon and Dekanich, what I've been able to read up on these netminders all have varying levels of potential.

Also, Dartmouth freshman Sean Samuel, who was rated as a "limited viewing" candidate, I've been hearing/reading some very nice things about as well, although I have to admit that I did not see him play this season.

Montoya stock really rose after his performance at WJC and he was able to continue that until Michigan's elimination from the FF Tourney. One of the best games he played was in the FF Northeast Regional Final versus Boston College. Even though he lost (on that absolutely stunning goal by Ben Eaves), he was terrific. Montoya IMO has proven that he can be clutch and can really step it up when called upon.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Everyone's talking about goalies but the one I like most, and have seen play quite abit, even played against and feel is underrated, is goalie Justin Pogge from Prince George... I have a feeling he will probably be around in the third round, but great athlete, big kid, quick... should be a good pickup for whatever team selects him. Did move up quite significantly after mid-season rankings... Just personal opinion though, my pick for a "buried treasure".

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Puckz said:
Everyone's talking about goalies but the one I like most, and have seen play quite abit, even played against and feel is underrated, is goalie Justin Pogge from Prince George... I have a feeling he will probably be around in the third round, but great athlete, big kid, quick... should be a good pickup for whatever team selects him. Did move up quite significantly after mid-season rankings... Just personal opinion though, my pick for a "buried treasure".

Or another one, Josh Disher of the Erie Otters of the OHL.

He was one of the sole reasons that Erie managed to have a great turnaround and make the playoffs. He was sensational and he got even better as the year went on. Not to mention it was his first in the OHL. He really impressed me the times I saw him.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I saw this kid a year ago and your comment on his fighting majors and checks shocks me. Last time I saw him he was soft, scared and did not use his size at all. If what you say is true this kid could be a sleeper in the 5th or 6th round.

FREE DENTAL CARE said:
Here you go with my sleeper pick --

Jordan LaVallee (dob - 5/11/86)
Quebec Remparts LW
Good Size -- 6'3", 218 (listed as 6'2" but is 6'3'+)
Modest Stats -- 69 gp, 11 g, 16 a, 27 pts 111 pim

Intangibles -- played on checking line in Quebec where he was under-utilized (averaged around 12-15min/game); great hands; accumulated 111 penalty minutes with 10 fighting majors; had 228 body checks (league leader for forwards).

He will surprise the team that's lucky enough to get him.

Free Dental Care

FREE DENTAL CARE

Mar 20, 2004
LaVallee stats

LemonDrop27--

A couple of additional things on LaVallee.

Last year LaVallee (age 16) was on the Remparts "Memorial Cup Team". He probably averaged 4-5 minutes/game over the entire season. This year's scoring, penalty minute (fighting major), and checking stats are from the "Q" web site.

Also, Kyle Woodlief's RLR has him ranked at #70, also has commenting on his lack of playing time. He skated in the "Pre-Draft Showcase" in the Boston area this past weekend with the Junior Bruins (they won the tournament). He had a 5g - 4a - 9pt line in 6 games, and was named tournament MVP.

Someone wanted sleepers!

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
LaVallee might be a sleeper but I wouldn't put to much stock in the "Pre-Draft Showcase", if he didn't put up big numbers at that tournament then he's in trouble. I don't see him going as high as 70 just because of the lack of playing time and production. 11 goals and 16 assists is respectable but it was his second year in a high scoring league. Like I said before I do like it that this kid has toughened up. By his fights/checks it looks like he's proving he can be a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->