Bure or Mogilny?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I don't think that this is a no-brainer at all. Bure was certainly the better natural goal scorer but Mogilny was far and away the better set-up man. I think that conventional wisdom tends to hold that Mogilny was more "talented", but that Bure was more "dynamic" and I could agree with that viewpoint.

That all being said, during his heyday Pavel was definitely my favorite player. If the question was who was better at bringing fans out of their seats, THAT is a no brainer. Pavel for sure.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Mogilny had better hands than Datsyuk and Kovalev (imo). He was just simply a wizard with the puck.

That being said, he didn't have Bure's flash or gamebreaking ability. Nor is he my all-time favourite..

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Pavel Bure. Funny both of them played for the nucks... too bad the chemistry between them didn't work out.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bure was better. For all the skill Mogilny had, he really had some piss poor years in the NHL where he was nowhere near the PPG mark. At times, Mogilny was really underachieving. Bure was always good for loads of goals when healthy.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Well Mogilny did outscore Bure's best season by 16 goals when he got 76 and Fedorov thinks Mogilny is better....

Yet pre injury Bure is like the pre injury ROnaldo in soccer - mind blowingly good. Bure!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Slitty said:
Well Mogilny did outscore Bure's best season by 16 goals when he got 76 and Fedorov thinks Mogilny is better....

Yet pre injury Bure is like the pre injury ROnaldo in soccer - mind blowingly good. Bure!
Fedorov and Bure don't exactly get along anymore...

In terms of outright speed, they're pretty similar. Mogilny might even have a slight edge. In terms of explosiveness, in terms of speed with the puck on his stick, and in terms of agility and deking ability, Bure has the edge.

But as far as playmaking, Mogilny has the edge. I'd even say that Mogilny has a better shot. Bure wasn't a slouch in the shooting department, but Mogilny had an absolute rifle of a shot.

I always viewed Bure as the type who didn't really need a playmaking centre. Just have someone get him the puck and let him dangle. I think pairing him with that deft, stickhandling and playmaking centre wouldn't have had much of an impact on Bure's production, just with the way Bure played. While Mogilny didn't need such a player to dominate, either, but with the way he played, it was more beneficial to him. He could score as both the triggerman or the dangler.

One thing that definitely separates the two: desire. Bure had an unquenchable desire to score goals, even though it often left his teammates scrambling in the defensive zone. All Bure wanted to do was score, and it showed. Mogilny's consistency and determination often waivered, and it has resulted in a career littered with many peaks and valleys, and a plethora of frustrated coaches.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Ah yes, it's such a romantic notion that Mogilny was the most talented Russian ever. Always the sexy pick.

Bure by a mile.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i think mogilny was a better shooter/goal scorer. bure was a better skater. mogilny had a lot of issues that seemed to get in the way of his career. you have to say bure because he did all the time. mogilny was on or off - it wouldve been a closer arguement if mogo had better consistency.

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
I think Bure was slightly more talented. The year he scored 59 goals in Florida, when 2nd on the team didn't even have 40 points, was just incredible. Dude had 2.5 times the points of anyone else on the team. :bow:

Mogilny was an immensely gifted player, but the one season he really produced he was paired with LaFontaine. Otherwise when he had comparable teammates to Bure it was Pavel who put up the better numbers.

Either way we're talking about two really talented players.

bakinturkey

Feb 12, 2006
bure was extremely fast no doubt but in terms of being a good skater he was a tad bit choppy. IMO he wasn't very smooth.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
In the summer before Pat Quinn got fired, I had a chance to talk to Quinn for about an hour as he was helping his daughter move out of an apartment building that my cousin lived at the time. We asked him who the most talented player he has ever coached, and surprisingly he did say Almo.

We were just walking out to the parking lot and he was just sitting on the back of the moving van smoking a big fat stogie, while his wife and daughter were moving stuff out of the apartment and down the elevator!!! That was a scene I will never forget!

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
God Bless Canada said:
Fedorov and Bure don't exactly get along anymore...

In terms of outright speed, they're pretty similar. Mogilny might even have a slight edge. In terms of explosiveness, in terms of speed with the puck on his stick, and in terms of agility and deking ability, Bure has the edge.

But as far as playmaking, Mogilny has the edge. I'd even say that Mogilny has a better shot. Bure wasn't a slouch in the shooting department, but Mogilny had an absolute rifle of a shot.

I always viewed Bure as the type who didn't really need a playmaking centre. Just have someone get him the puck and let him dangle. I think pairing him with that deft, stickhandling and playmaking centre wouldn't have had much of an impact on Bure's production, just with the way Bure played. While Mogilny didn't need such a player to dominate, either, but with the way he played, it was more beneficial to him. He could score as both the triggerman or the dangler.

One thing that definitely separates the two: desire. Bure had an unquenchable desire to score goals, even though it often left his teammates scrambling in the defensive zone. All Bure wanted to do was score, and it showed. Mogilny's consistency and determination often waivered, and it has resulted in a career littered with many peaks and valleys, and a plethora of frustrated coaches.

Remember Bure's first few games as a Nuck? His centre was Ryan Walter and LW was Gino, that should tell you he never needed a playmaking center. But with Almo, his 2 greatest years he had Lafontaine and Ronning

Ahh, to be a nuck fan in the early to mid 90's was amazing, both great talents. I went to his last game that he ever played in Vancouver when his Rangers came here, and he was still amazing then. Too bad managment/ownership always dicked around with him, that's why he wanted to leave.

I heard an interview with Gino and Dan Russel awhile back and the main reason that Bure wanted to leave was Messier was the biggest **** stirrer ever and got Quinn fired. Even though the Nucks wern't always behind him he didn't want to leave, but with Mess around, that was the last straw for him. Too bad, because the year before he left he did score 51 goals again. Pre injury Bure was just amazing, I kinda feel bad for Panther and Rangers fans who didn't really get to see the real Bure in all of his glory like us Canucks fans did all those years. I still hear Jim Robson saying "Pavel Bure" every time he scored!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Panthers still had him for 2 58 and 59 goal campaigns, so it's not like he wasn't his amazing self in Florida.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Speed and goals? Bure.

Everything else? Mogilny.

Mogilny was more talented and was KEY in the playoffs in New Jersey.

But the genius that was Bure's surging highlight goals is something special.

Is it better to be excellent at many things or exceptional in a couple and merely average at the rest?

I choose Bure, and his special talents, but Mogilny was more talented overall.

If Mogilny had heart, I mean unwaivering gutsy play instead of dogging it for streaky up and down stretches (gawd he sucked in Vancouver sometimes, was awesome other times - totally due to himself!)... Mogilny had the tools to have a HHOF first ballot inductee kind of career.

Alain Racette

Jun 18, 2005
Hard to pick, but Mogilny gets my vote. Not as dynamic, but in my opinion was a much better playmaker and dominated games with his intelligence. And his puck/stick handling... My God, it was like he was having sex with the puck! He is one of only a few I can think of who is able to make the puck "dance" when he wants to. He's a wizard!

Even when he played with that nagging hip injury of his, I was still amazed by his play (and in NHL 2004, he had around a 95 Speed rating! Whenever he had the Speed bonus during the game, he was zipping everywhere!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad